Agonizingly slow load time from saves

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Kriegsspieler
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Agonizingly slow load time from saves

Post by Kriegsspieler » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi, all --

Is there anything you can do to improve the load time from save files? I am trying to load the campaign save at the beginning of Barbarossa, and it is taking forever. Saves from late in scenarios have a similar problem, in my experience.

i'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find any reference to it in the last three or four pages of the main forum thread.

Tom

Yogol
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Agonizingly slow load time from saves

Post by Yogol » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Restart the game, it should go faster then.

Zekedia222
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Zekedia222 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:39 am

Its very possible that if its a big scenario, its just your computer, but maybe thats just me and my ancient rig :D
Winchester: Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
A great quote from one of my favorite TV shows, M*A*S*H

parmenio
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by parmenio » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am

Yep - I hit this all the time if I've left OOB running for some time , so I'm now in the habit of save + exit to desktop

terminator
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by terminator » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:17 am

Maybe you have to run the game in full screen mode and not run other applications in the background ?

Usually I don’t have this kind of problem but lately when updating windows it took longer than usual with a computer a little old. Once the windows update was installed, everything returned as before :D

GabeKnight
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:09 pm

parmenio wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am
Yep - I hit this all the time if I've left OOB running for some time , so I'm now in the habit of save + exit to desktop
Same here. Sad to say I've kinda gotten used to it; same as Alt-Tabbing out-and-back-into the game every time it starts because of the 4K issue... :roll:

prestidigitation

Post by prestidigitation » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:00 pm

If it's a file load time issue that grows as time passes one possibility is poor or inconsistent file handler cleanup. This is a common and often overlooked issue.

Another is memory leak. Both can be fixed by hooking up a profiler, leaving the game on for a while and then attempting a load.

If it's a memory leak it should also start creating visual or audio artifacts over time as well BTW, but that hasn't been my experience so I suspect the file handler used for IO on the save file. OTOH it could be that artifacts just take longer to manifest that any sane player is willing to wait.

I'm pretty sure the game is 32bit still (no longer works on Mac btw) which would which would imply that it can only address 2-4GB (depending on how they're doing stuff) so that'd be why it is choking on memory while also not hurting overall computer performance (alt tab to fine experience, tab back and slugfest). So if you are checking process manager or similar you'd see minimal Memory consumption overall even if the process is chugging.

Definitely not related to size of file on disk or IOPS though, I've got a brand new 1TB SSD that loads the game and saves extremely fast at start only to grow slower and slower as time passes.

Edit: game is 64bit on windows but not Mac? Weird.

I ran Resource Monitor against the oobww2 process last night and watched thread performance. I saw gradual upward shift in memory consumption as I played from iirc 1.2GB to 1.4GB. I also saw an enormous number of file handlers opened to deal with resource loading.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”