Normandy UK Campaign beta-test

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Mascarenhas
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Normandy UK Campaign beta-test

Post by Mascarenhas » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:37 pm

Juno 1.5

Now it´s a really challenging scen to me. I made it after 42 turns, but I think 40 is feasible with a bit more luck and map attention. Elusive staff car is still there, as the undeserved completion tick. I think you should review this secondary task. It´s a huge map and there´s a lot to do in order to get to the main goals in time.

1jedi
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by 1jedi » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:07 pm

:D :D :D :D :D CIAO, EVERYONE THROUGH THE EDITOR I WANTED TO INSERT THE PARACHUTES TRANSPORTED BY AIRCRAFT HAND I DIDN'T SUCCEED I TRYED TO DO SO "CTRL + click (with transport selected): Assign transport to target unit on the map.BUT BUT NOTHING YOU CAN AUTHORIZE ME THANKS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

TRANSLATED WITH GOOGLE :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:43 pm

Mascarenhas wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:37 pm
Juno 1.5

Elusive staff car is still there, as the undeserved completion tick. I think you should review this secondary task.
Erik, you apparently missed this from earlier in the thread; it has to be changed to SdKfz 222:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (221.75 KiB) Viewed 937 times
- Bru

bru888

Post by bru888 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:48 pm

1jedi wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:07 pm
:D :D :D :D :D CIAO, EVERYONE THROUGH THE EDITOR I WANTED TO INSERT THE PARACHUTES TRANSPORTED BY AIRCRAFT HAND I DIDN'T SUCCEED I TRYED TO DO SO "CTRL + click (with transport selected): Assign transport to target unit on the map.BUT BUT NOTHING YOU CAN AUTHORIZE ME THANKS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Image0139.jpg
Image0139.jpg (115.74 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Image0141.jpg
Image0141.jpg (146.71 KiB) Viewed 936 times
- Bru

Mik
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Mik » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:18 am

I'm new here, so hello all.

Running 1.5 and I've had a crack at Gold beach. So far I love this scenario, yet to get all objectives, but I'll keep trying. I admire the work that has gone into the imagery, briefing and unit names. It's very cool.
Can I ask what '121 Fighter wing' and '16 Sqd' in the reserve list - which English air units are these meant to be? I am getting two Japanese tanks!!

Zekedia222
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Zekedia222 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:28 am

Are you running the campaign with any mods?
Winchester: Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
A great quote from one of my favorite TV shows, M*A*S*H

Mik

Post by Mik » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:15 am

No mods. Just OOB vs 6.1.8.
Also, from the briefing this scenario is meant to have modded Churchills, I'm only getting Shermans.
I've had a look in the scenario editor and Churchills are available, AVRE, Crocodile - but no mine clearing flail tanks in my unit list.

Something is not right, am I meant to have certain DLCs? I only have Panzerkreig & Blitzkreig.

1jedi
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by 1jedi » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:59 am

bru888 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:48 pm
1jedi wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:07 pm

Image0139.jpg

Image0141.jpg
thank you bru888, and happy January 1, 2020

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:08 am

If you're getting different unit types it certainly looks like you're not using a standard units file.

Often certian unit types are not available. I will use a substitute and add the name of the 'real' unit.
This way it is easy to find and replace the substitutes with proper unit types whenever they get available.

Mascarenhas
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Mascarenhas » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:26 am

Sword 1.5

I did it flawlessly in 31 turns. No problems beyond mission specific targets to achieve. Decent income, operational air support. Maybe in the future you may reduce turns to 35 or so.

robertahyuk
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by robertahyuk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:37 pm

After playing through the entire campaign from Gold beach, I found that it's a long and trying game. Well made and thought out. I had no problems in the game itself but did think a couple of the maps in the scenarios were a bit large and hard to reach the objectives but I did manage.
Only thing I might question is the use of Allied air power. Of which there isn't much in this campaign. After reading a couple of books from the German side of the Normandy battles, their biggest fear was the constant arrival of Allied "Jabos" that frequently attacked them. Maybe a bit more air power is about all I can see.
Otherwise, I thought it was a good long campaign and thank you for your great work.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks, fellows. Your feedback is much appreciated. I guess we will leave this thread here for a while to see if there are any more comers before we officially "release" the campaign.
- Bru

gunny
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by gunny » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:26 pm

I just bumped into this beta today I have played just about every other campaign you have made but often I have to use cheat codes to get through it - I play on Major difficulty in the middle. But then I like to be able to get all the secondary objectives. Any Stock campaigns put out by Slitherine that I buy I can play them fine on Major level with just about all of yours many times I am the attacker and the battle starts out with me being attacked. Then the cheat codes keeps me from putting my fist through the monitor anyway, I will focus on

"1) Bugs, of course; 2) Gameplay balance, a key factor; and 3) Enjoyability: Things like was it too easy/hard, too long/short, etc."

and give some comments.

I'm doing Gold Beach on Captain level if ya want me to do a different beach let me know in this thread - cheers

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:21 am

Re air:
Currently there's certainly room for more Allied air units in some of the scenarios.
These will be restricted to ground support units though. The scale is not suitable to strategic bombing in my opinion.

robertahyuk
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by robertahyuk » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Hey Erik : That what I was thinking of. Just some more tactical air support is all. No need for strategic bombing in this campaign. Maybe when you make a U.S. campaign to start "Operation Cobra" but otherwise, it's not needed.
I just remember reading some books from German Normandy survivors how they all were scared of the Allied "Jabos" always attacking.
Just a thought is all, otherwise the campaign was great and played through with no problems.

gunny

Post by gunny » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:41 pm

GOLD Campaign Scenario comments: I typed in Sword earlier I'm doing Gold

Bugs - twice got the bug where all units are unable to move which requires a reloading of the last saved file to fix. But I think this is just part of owning Order of Battle it even happens with stock campaigns.

Gameplay balance: This is fine except I think it is intended to be very difficult to take Bayeux there are a lot of enemy units around whereas other Primary objectives nothing much at all was near the hex but maybe this is because of how I maneuvered my units around those objectives who knows.

Enjoyability: Superb lots of different decisions to make. Which mines do I blow up in the water which ones not to blow up. How to most effectively use the commandos clearing mines or what including landing a unit on the beach take out the weakened fortification which then allows the unit to move forward then move the wounded commando into this hex now owned by the Brits and restore health of the commando ALL In One Turn. How to position ships to help out fortification suppression. Do a pincers movement around the swamp and or land a couple of units to slog through it. When planes go to rearm one can buy another different plane - do this or not and which one to buy maybe get a ground attack plane. Its great having lots of options.

Final comments: The exit hexes for the planes maybe add a couple more next to the ones there but this is a pain to do this but once I could not exit both planes because the hex was filled with a plane and I had to wait a turn and weaken the plane cause being a noob I did not plane to fly to the other hex evac area. The scenario did not show the naval guns as being taken out during the scenario even though I took them all out but upon completing the mission it showed this.

The Most Important Thing is: You allow for a draw and for the player to continue the campaign this is the best thing.

Now I'm going to play this a third time because I enjoy it so much I play on Captain level.
Last edited by gunny on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:09 pm

gunny, thanks for the comments.

Yeah, that's not a campaign bug but an OOB problem that some of us have. I did, until I switched computers. Standard recommendations: Check for sufficient disk space. Defragment and optimize your drive. Shut off your anti-virus program (temporarily) or exclude the game files from its monitoring. Completely uninstall and reinstall the game. See if the game works better on another computer.

You are not the first to remark that there should be more than one air exit hex in these scenarios to avoid traffic tie-ups! It's not as if each plane needs to follow the previous one in an exact flight path.

Please keep going - see if you can get off the beach and deeper into the campaign!
- Bru

gunny

Post by gunny » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:11 am

Thanks for explaining the OOB bug and things to do about it should play the 2nd Battle Villers tomorrow woo hoo

Also I did play GOLD for a third time and did extra turn cheat to complete everything I took out all of the naval guns via planes and ships but it did not give me the win in this secondary objective perhaps an infantry unit must be put in these hexes ???

using the fog of war disabling cheat I'm showing all of the guns were taken out .....

Here is the gun that was taken out on the far left side

Then the final screen which only gave me a minor victory I think I will start back from hear add some turns put infantry in the hexes and see what happens woo hoo

gunny

Post by gunny » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:57 pm

Went "Inland" finished the second battle - Villers - le - Sec : Moving Inland

Bugs: None

Gameplay Balance / Enjoyability: Better than the 1st Battle (Sword) was able to complete all objectives on Captain level. Lost a unit, other units at end weakened because used all resources, had enough starting resources which enable options and tweaking of core force which is welcomed. Map is much smaller which is great. Not to difficult and definitely not to easy. Would want to play this again.

gunny

Post by gunny » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:11 am

3rd Battle of GOLD Campaign Tree : Advance to Cristot

- - Because there was basically no resources at beginning of battle to be had - I had to place weakened depleted units from my previous battle (Villers) which technically is my fault for abusing them during this battle then it took awhile to get comfortable moving a few tanks for ward cause did not want to move them around at less than full strength - I figured the Tigers would attack - also because the supply town of 115 supply was naked to the extent that there were no placement hexes near it I spent turns moving towards this area to protect it - finally the two hex area with a few supplies I did not put any units in that figuring it would get wiped out quick. - -

Bugs: None

Gameplay Balance: Wonderful - Great playing the SS Only and reading in the prebattle notes that there are Tigers and Panthers and not knowing the numbers of them etc. Could have completed the Primary Objectives on turn 10 playing on Captain level doing the Secondary is a challenge as it should be to wipe out all units. Move very cautiously to cautiously due to the presence of these tanks.

Enjoyability: Overall Great but even though I noticed only 1 exit hex for the 3 planes in the heat of battle I flew all planes over there with two turns left in them so they got wounded or weakened as only one evac hex but maybe this is to simulate an airfield that is way far off and must be taken into account or to minimize planes flying around.

Looking forward to playing this again .

Return to “Order of Battle Series”