THE BATTLE AGAINST PHILIPP THE MACEDON:MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2

PS2/PSP/PC : Great Battles of Rome combined Slitherines great game play with specially cut footage from The History Channel to create a truly unique and immersive experience.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

tignanello63
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

THE BATTLE AGAINST PHILIPP THE MACEDON:MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2

Post by tignanello63 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:01 am

HALLO EVERYBODY,I AM AN ITALIAN MAN :D AND I TRIED GREAT BATTLES:IT IS RELLY WONDERFUL IN MY OPINION.
THE BIG PROBLEM IS THE BATTLE AGAINST PHILIPP THE MACEDON I HAVE TO WIN IN 3,30 MINUTS AND HAVE LESS THAN
225 CASUALTIES BUT THE MACEDON ARMY IS TOO STRONG WHEN IT IS IN TOUCH WITH MY ARMY I HAVE A LOT OF
LOSSES ALSO WITH LEGION UNITS THAT ARE THE STRONGEST UNITS.I TRIED THIS BATTLE MORE THAN 30 TIMES AT
THE LOWEST LEVEL BUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO WIN.IS THERE ANY KIND GENTLEMAN WHO CAN SUGGEST ME WHICH
IS THE BEST STRATEGY AND THE BEST WAY TO DEFEAT PHILIPP?I REMEMBER PROUDLY THAT THE ROMAN LEGIONS
ALWAYS DEFEATED THE GRECIAN AND THE MACEDONIAN ARMY IN HISTORY.THANK YOU AND THE BEST REGUARDS TO
EVERYBODY

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:08 am

It might help people if you tell them your army composition, level and upgrades your troops have. Do you have any spare cash?

tignanello63

SORRY

Post by tignanello63 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:30 pm

I am relly sorry sir it was my mistake:i have three units of hastati of 17 level,one of triari of 15 level,one of principi of
15 level,four legions of 12,11,10 and 4 level,one cavalry of 15 level and the general of level 20,all of them are equipped
with defensive and offensive weapon of first and second level.A little army but well trained and with good equipment as
you can see.Sorry for my english i hope you can understand me:do you suggest me to have a defensive position and
wait or to charge the enemy as soon as possible:the macedon phalang is really unbreakable they fight for all the battle
having only a few losses.I have learned in history that the roman legions were best than the macedon phalange.
But the game is really good,it is fantastic as you can see the battle field from many point of view.Thank you very much
for your help every suggestion will be appreciated.Best regards from your italian friend :o

moj
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by moj » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:46 am

When playing Legion Arena I came to the conclusion that it's impossible to win this battle without auxiliary archers: have a look at this thread.

I still don't know if Legion Arena and GBoR treat terrain in the same way, but if they do then you have another problem: no auxilia to occupy the central hills! No matter how much money you have I don't think it will be possible to win this battle from your current position: new Level 1 units will be destroyed very quickly.

It's time you started the game again.

:-(

kongming
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kongming » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:33 am

My strategy in battles like this one is to make sure the scrum happens on the ground of my choosing. Given Philip's strength in heavies, that means clearing the heights and turning his battle line up onto the ridge.

I would deploy my troops in 4 columns. The big picture is clear the ridge line, then form up new lines at 90 degrees to Phillip's. Force him to turn his line up the slope and into the rough where your light troops have an advantage.

Column #1, left of the center line of the battlefield, aligned slightly to the left of the center-most ridgeline. (you want to leave plenty of room between your troops and the open ground, so they don't to anything silly like charging down into the open). This first column would be composed of my light troops. Given your troop composition I would lead that column with my militia. Their job would be to clear the ridge of the two light infantry. They would be followed by the auxillaries who I would look to keep out of the fray and fresh to be the first line to face Philip's heavies.

#2 my heavies (legions and triari). In this case they would be supporting the front line aux and helping clear up the ridgeline.

#3 archers and missile troops to keep them effective and protected.

#4 cavalry. Charge the left flank cav, clear them out, then take up a position on top of the field. Once Philipp's troops start to move, his archers will be exposed and you can send your cavalry after them. And once the archers are cleaned up, then the cav can charge the rear of Philip's lines.
“There are only a few notes in the scale.
Yet you can always rearrange them.
You can never hear every song of victory”
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Return to “THE HISTORY CHANNEL™ Great Battles of Rome”