Battle of Magnesia, need help

PS2/PSP/PC : Great Battles of Rome combined Slitherines great game play with specially cut footage from The History Channel to create a truly unique and immersive experience.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

MPSarge
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Battle of Magnesia, need help

Post by MPSarge » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:59 am

Please, help.. I cannot for the life me win the battle of magnesia...How the heck do you do it without loosing more than 150 men. I have cuased the enemy to loose as much as 398 and still can't doit. I have tried taking out the elephants first and I have tried going to the other end of the filed and taking out the weak troops... I have played at 30+ times.

ED

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:31 am

If you tell people your army make up they may be able to help.

MPSarge

Post by MPSarge » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:04 pm

Ok, pretty good, but I have been stuck at this battle for 3 days....I need some help

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:31 am

You need to post the compostion of your army, what squads you have, what level & equipment etc.

kongming
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kongming » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:30 am

I too find Magnesia/Syrian War a very tough battle on very hard., much harder than Dog Heads. I've tried in two different ways (several times each) with unsatisfying results. Mind you I eventually won, but only in the ugliest of ways.

My force is without screening troops, no velites, no skirmishers. Most of the other posters in the LA forum call for skirmishers to engage the elephants backed up with missile troops and heavies. That may well be why this one is so tough on my army:
4 legions (18, 17, 14, 6), 3 aux (19, 18, 15), 3 archers (15, 14, 3) & 2 cav (18, 16)

I've tried it lined up against their main force (once with aux in front to take the charge backed up by legions, once with legions biting the bullet)

I've also tried it by engaging on the left flank and trying to force their battle line back around.

Neither method worked well though I did squeak by facing off against their main line with my legions in the front.

Even with three decent archers concentrating their fire on the elephants, these ones took a long time to take down. Combined with the enemy's strong heavy infantry and high level archers, this is one of the toughest enemy armies I have seen. They have so many other dinky troops about that it is hard to get my cav at their archers.
“There are only a few notes in the scale.
Yet you can always rearrange them.
You can never hear every song of victory”
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

cifko
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by cifko » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:23 pm

I recommend you to kill all light troops with your heavy cavalry and infantry. If you have any principe use one of them to lure elephants to the scrub or forest if there is any, and hide your light troops and skirmishers in scrub (or forest) and wait elephants to charge at you and you will defeat them with ease. Also you can use your general or cavalry unit to make it easier if you don't need them in battle.

Return to “THE HISTORY CHANNEL™ Great Battles of Rome”