Upgrading question

PS2/PSP/PC : Great Battles of Rome combined Slitherines great game play with specially cut footage from The History Channel to create a truly unique and immersive experience.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Darthvegeta800
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Upgrading question

Post by Darthvegeta800 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:22 pm

I have been playing the game for a while now and i was wondering:
Should i replace old but experienced units with the updated ones?
Are there skills and equipment i should prioritize?
It's sometimes dreadfully difficult to know what to spent in.

Also how good are archers in this game? Are they worth getting?

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:55 pm

I'd avoid selling old units because of the xp they have gained but it's really your call. All equipment and upgrades have their uses so it's about how you use the unit and combine its skills. I'm sure other players will have more detailed feedback for you :)

Darthvegeta800
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Darthvegeta800 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:17 am

Okay. As it seems awfully difficult in balancing when and what to buy.
I sometimes have the urge to keep expanding my army.

pgeerkens
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by pgeerkens » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:39 am

Hi there. My dad grew up in Schiedam, which must be within a few hours drive of you.

I play on Very Hard only, and generally follow the Possum Method (various posts both here and under Legion Arena) for upgrading my infantry, with a few modifications that I am experimenting with.

In general, keep your units as you progress through the game. However, in scenarios like Vadimo Lake, I find it useful to recruit 'pin-cushions' (ie arrow and javelin fodder) which I disband before healing, to maximize my fame.

My army at the end of the game is generally the following, or similar. Other setus undoubtedly work also, but thsi one suits my style of play:

Legate
Milita I
Skirmisher I
Scout I
Spearman I, Noble I (a necessity for Men in Black, and it's a *u&&er to win anyways!)
(in any order: Militia II, Scout II, Skirmisher II)
Hastati I
Velite I & II
Principe I & II
either Principe III or Triari I
Auxilia I & II
Aux. Cavalry I
Aux. Archer I & II

for a total of 20 units. There's no point in buying more, I believe, as it simply lessens the equipment one an buy for the core troops.

Possum advocates buying only ~12 units, but he generally plays on Hard instad of Very Hard. I've found that in a number of scenarios, playing Very Hard, quantity of troops is vital for, if not victory, a 'good' victory with low casualties and multiple promotions.

I hope this is useful - enjoy the game.
"Even on the attack, the spade is the equal of the rifle." Erwin Rommel
Caesar & "Marius' Mules" would agree.

Darthvegeta800
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Darthvegeta800 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:36 pm

Thanks and how frequently do you invest in equipment and which do you prefer?
As for abilities. I tend to pick the drill ones, officers and the endurance/swordsmanship once. Any others that are 'musts'?

pgeerkens

Post by pgeerkens » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:34 am

The 'Possum Method', described in detail in anumber of threads by Possum, is a fine start for ability selection. I play on Very Hard, and believe that I have improved it a bit, (see thread: Possum Method Refined).

I have all my builds planned out in advance (except Scout II, Milita II, and Skirmisher II where I vary) and generally buy each new unit type as soon as it is available (excpet Principe II, delayed by one battle). I usually buy Weapons one level ahead of Arrmour, since the +5 look better than the -4 on balance; Standard I follows, then 3 levels of boots as I have money; Sarmatian Cavalry armour for Nobels and Aux. Cav as soon as they hit Master Trample at Level 16. If my Legate hits Level 26 I get Ajax's banner for a battle or two; when if my Scouts get to Level 26 I get Teutonic Horses for them. Weapons beyond Level 4 are questionable, but may be worthwhile.

I go for all battle skills for my Legate, and no Leader skills at all! He advances several levels further this way, and once I hit mid-game I don't even notice the delays giving orders. A warning though, is that this requires good planning for a number of battles ;-) One exception is that Strategy 1 may be worthwhile early on.

A caveat - all of this is for the canned scenarios, not for live battle with an opponent. I have decided (but untested) views on how to vary all of this in that case, but will keep my thoughtd to myself until I have tried a few battles.

Darthvegeta800
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Darthvegeta800 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback, i'll go see if i can find this 'possum' method ^__^

pgeerkens

Post by pgeerkens » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm

Remember to check under Legion Arena as well as GBOR

Redpossum
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Redpossum » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Pieter's "Refined" thread is here.

But as it doesn't really summarize the old original concept, you won't know where he's starting from, so I'll outline that here once again.

The Possum method, as I originally conceived it 18-24 months ago, worked like this. It's given as the starting point, since it is the basis from which many players developed their own refinements.

INFANTRY

Swordsman, Drill, and Feint, repeated.

At the level 5/6 promotion, (right after Advanced Swordsman), interrupt the rotation to take Disciplined Formations if building a troop type that does not start with that ability. If developing a troop type that does start with Disciplined Formations, (e.g. Principes, Hastati, Legionary, Praetorians, Triarii), you can take anything you like at the 5/6 promotion. Expert Throwers can be handy, or Block.

At level 11/12 promotion, you should be taking Master Swordsman. And your troops are now death on the half-shell.

You can take Frenzy at L13 with some troop types. This boosts their offense and morale amazingly, but comes at the price of an armor penalty.

You can skip Master Drill, as it is just not needed.

CAVALRY

Swordsman, Drill, and Feint, repeated.

At the level 7/8 promotion, interrupt the rotation to take Trample.

At level 11/12 promotion, you should be taking Master Swordsman. And your troops are now death on the half-shell.

You can take Frenzy at L13 with some troop types. This boosts their offense and morale amazingly, but comes at the price of an armor penalty.

You can skip Master Drill, as it is just not needed.

**********Original Possum Method ends here**************

Now, keep in mind that this was devised for Legion Arena before the 1.1 patch, and before the Cult of Mithras add-on. Long before GBoR was published.

The Possum Method v2.0, current as of the last 60 days, as developed in my recent run through from start Roman Campaign to end Cult of Mithras, would modify the above something like this.

Considerations

Equipment dependencies. Some advanced equipment has not only level requirements, but also skill requirements

- Master Endurance is needed to purchase Armor 4 and higher.
- Master Feint is needed to purchase Weapons 4 and higher.
- Master Dodge is needed to purchase Boots 4 and higher.

I'm not a big fan of Endurance, for its own sake, but the higher grades of armor are a must-have item for CoM.

The Plan
I now let my Infantry units lag a level on the Drill skill from the basic method. If my Leader has Quick Thinker developed, they can afford that. And a level of Armor Penetration can come in very handy for light infantry, as can a level of Missile Protection. I still follow the basic rotation strictly other then that.

Once a unit has reached level 13, it has its aggressive skills well under way, and can start to think about Endurance, Missile Protection, and Armor Penetration.

Things to Avoid

Anti-Infantry, Anti-Cavalry, Anti-Elephant, Protection from Infantry, Protection from Cavalry. I personally believe all 5 of these are not working as intended.

Dodge, Parry, and the equipment item "Boots". These all boost Agility, and I'm still undecided about how Agility works. I used to swear it was broken, but now I'm not sure. Perhaps the effect is just very subtle. But in a previous run through CoM, I had Auxilia units with Agility ratings of 70 and 80, and there was no discernible defensive advantage at all.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something here, but that's all I can think of for now :D

Darthvegeta800
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Darthvegeta800 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:33 am

Many thanks Possum! I'll definitely take all this into account!

Return to “THE HISTORY CHANNEL™ Great Battles of Rome”