Am I on the right way

PS2/PSP/PC : Great Battles of Rome combined Slitherines great game play with specially cut footage from The History Channel to create a truly unique and immersive experience.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

cifko
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Am I on the right way

Post by cifko » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:30 pm

I just past vadimo lake battle, and I'm wondering am I on the right way with my army

My army:

Legate (12)
skirmishers x2 (8,7)
scouts x3 (15,14,14)
spearmen x1 (10)
nobles x2 (13,13)
principe x3 (8,6,5)

I have 5 empty slots. Maybe some tips on what troops should I buy.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:21 am

I'd say you were a bit cavalry and light troop heavy. I'd go for more heavy infantry and archers.

pgeerkens
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by pgeerkens » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:18 am

You have given only 12 units, so should have 8 slots, not 5, available.

At this point I have only 2 Scouts and 1 Nobles, plus 2 militia and 2 velites. I will pick up 1 Aux. cav, 2 Auxilia, and 2 archers as soon as available to round out my 20 units.

I keep the 2 Militia from early on to provide non-missiler light infantry until the Auxilia become available. I never buy them more than Weapons 1 (and perhaps Boots 1 later on), so only 200d (or 300d) is tied up here. Once Auxilia are available there is an argument for disbanding the Militia and buying one or two more Auxilia, but I have not had to do this to win the game (even on very hard). You will lose a lot of experience to do this, so save your game first in case you decide later to go back and change your mind.

For some specific battles, I will buy additional Peasants as pin-cushions, and additional Skirmishers as extra missilers, but you will know those when you encounter them. These additional units are not keepers at any time, and are disbanded immediately after the battle.
"Even on the attack, the spade is the equal of the rifle." Erwin Rommel
Caesar & "Marius' Mules" would agree.

cifko

Post by cifko » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:48 pm

I completed roman campaign few days ago, now I'm on the celtic campaign right now.

carl1
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by carl1 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:40 am

how did you beat the sparacus scenario???

cifko

Post by cifko » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:38 pm

Thats on the celtic or roman campaign?

pgeerkens

Post by pgeerkens » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:40 am

Assuming you mean the scenario where most of his force charges out of the woods:

I draw up my heavies and missilers in the lower right, in a refused left flank position. Two cavalry whip around Spartacus' flank (my right, his left) to take out his missilers and then surround his infantry as they pile up gainst my line. I target my missilers on his heavies, fanatics first. I rarely lose more than a single unit before he is completely broken.

It helps to have at least one unit of hoplites (spearmen/triari) on the right end of your line to deal with his cavalry leading the charge.
"Even on the attack, the spade is the equal of the rifle." Erwin Rommel
Caesar & "Marius' Mules" would agree.

Return to “THE HISTORY CHANNEL™ Great Battles of Rome”