General Tips re GBR

PS2/PSP/PC : Great Battles of Rome combined Slitherines great game play with specially cut footage from The History Channel to create a truly unique and immersive experience.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

OldSchool
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

General Tips re GBR

Post by OldSchool » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:52 pm

As Rome, I've played thru this game twice, and it was easier the second time around because I concentrated on buying better troops w/more armor instead of just adding more troops to balance numbers.
Apparently fewer, more superior units are the way to go early on, then build-up to 20 units later for the larger battles.

It also helps to make your units more survivable w/armor upgrades, as well as dodge and block tactics since several scenarios require the player to limit casualties.

I usu. end-up w/an even mix of hvy/lt cavalry (total 4), 2-4 skrimishers/velites, 2 archers, 1-2 lt armor, and the rest heavy-armored soldiers. Some of these units become eligible for "Ajax banners": though they're expensive, its worth the investment.

I truely enjoyed this simple game system, even though the Celtic campaign was somewhat disappointing. I also would have liked to upgrade existing units, i.e., skirmishers to velites, along the lines of the Civ games.

Return to “THE HISTORY CHANNEL™ Great Battles of Rome”