Working on a graphic mod in which you can see actual weapons rather than a block

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Working on a graphic mod in which you can see actual weapons rather than a block

Post by Ivenend »

Edit: The first version is released here! viewtopic.php?f=322&t=107048

Pike & Shot is a game that set in my favorite historical era, but it always annoys me that the unit graphics are too rough and you can only see a block (which represent pikes) on infantry units.

With the Blender files Richard sent to me a couple months ago, I can now try to fix that by myself. My plan is to completely rework the unit models (at least the infantry ones) in P&S, to make actual weapons (no matter muskets, swords, halberds, bills, two-handed swords, shields, etc.) seeable on the in game models. And make the models match the weapons of the according unit.

Here I show some prilimery work I have done so far, the model of Swiss Keil and Landsknecht Keil:

Last edited by Ivenend on Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Working on a graphic mod in which you can see actual weapons rather than a block

Post by rbodleyscott »

Very nice.
Richard Bodley Scott

Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Re: Working on a graphic mod in which you can see actual weapons rather than a block

Post by Athos1660 »

Great idea, nicely made. Well done !

It"ll contribute to the major debate among P&S1 grognards about how many figurines per unit the ideal P&S should have : many like in P&S1 ? fewer like in the FoG series ? something in between ? :-)
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Very nice, eager to see more. My ideal is a 10-1 ratio, so your standard pike and shot unit has 16 pikemen and 32 musketeers. Or 14 pikemen, an officer and a standard bearer
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
companion
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by companion »

Massive keils showing some "teeth" forward looks very nice. Mind if I ask for charged and ported pikes as well?
Athos1660 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:04 am Great idea, nicely made. Well done !

It"ll contribute to the major debate among P&S1 grognards about how many figurines per unit the ideal P&S should have : many like in P&S1 ? fewer like in the FoG series ? something in between ? :-)
I'm all for original P&S style because I think it conveys well the feelings of massiveness of 1000+ men sized units and the inhumane nature of the black powder warfare.
However, if next P&S title would focus on "small actions," then I think FOG style figurines would fit better.
Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

Athos1660 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:04 am It"ll contribute to the major debate among P&S1 grognards about how many figurines per unit the ideal P&S should have : many like in P&S1 ? fewer like in the FoG series ? something in between ? :-)
In P&S a square with 2000 men has a (graphical) unit model of 180 men. So the ratio is rougly 11 : 1.
SnuggleBunnies wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:06 pm Very nice, eager to see more
Yes there will be more to come. I already finished giving Spanish swordsmen units sword models. Unfortunately my internet can't connect to Imgur now so I can't upload screenshots for you.
companion wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:43 pm Massive keils showing some "teeth" forward looks very nice. Mind if I ask for charged and ported pikes as well?
I would like to try but I can't give a promise, as giving 180 pike models to a square would be quite difficult and it may exceed the vertices limitation.
Last edited by Ivenend on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

Preview:

Spanish unit mdoels with sword and buckler, the second image also show the new unit icon I made for Rodeleros:

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Ivenend wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Excellent work! Looking forward to using it, though I wonder if it would be incompatible with MP.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:24 pm
Ivenend wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Excellent work! Looking forward to using it, though I wonder if it would be incompatible with MP.
I plan to release two versions:

(1) this version only replace some existed .s4f model and .dds texture files, no data file is modified. You can place them directly into your P&S folder, it will work with vanilla campaign/skirmish and all user made ones, compatible with MP. However, this version has less new unit models and has no custom unit icon.

(2) this version not only replace existed files but also add new ones, it will contains all new models and icons I made. However, due to Squad file has been modified, it is not compatible with MP. You can play it directly in singleplayer mode, or you can use it as art resource to make your own scenario/campaign/skirmish and then play them in MP.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Actually, I can't see there being too much problem with MP.

If one player has the mod, and the other doesn't, all that would happen is that the players would see the "scripts don't match" message every turn. As long as they trust each other and the discrepancy is explained it won't stop the match. The only big issue is if the new Squads.csv file added completely new units, I am talking about additional units rather than just new models, that could make MP games impossible if one person did not have the mod.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

The first version is released here! viewtopic.php?f=322&t=107048
--------------
Paul59 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 pm Actually, I can't see there being too much problem with MP.

If one player has the mod, and the other doesn't, all that would happen is that the players would see the "scripts don't match" message every turn. As long as they trust each other and the discrepancy is explained it won't stop the match. The only big issue is if the new Squads.csv file added completely new units, I am talking about additional units rather than just new models, that could make MP games impossible if one person did not have the mod.
Thanks for reminding that!
Last edited by Ivenend on Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:06 pm My ideal is a 10-1 ratio, so your standard pike and shot unit has 16 pikemen and 32 musketeers. Or 14 pikemen, an officer and a standard bearer
companion wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:43 pm
Athos1660 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:04 am It"ll contribute to the major debate among P&S1 grognards about how many figurines per unit the ideal P&S should have : many like in P&S1 ? fewer like in the FoG series ? something in between ? :-)
I'm all for original P&S style because I think it conveys well the feelings of massiveness of 1000+ men sized units and the inhumane nature of the black powder warfare.
However, if next P&S title would focus on "small actions," then I think FOG style figurines would fit better.
I have no strong views about this ratio.
Maybe a sensation of movement and life (ie. animated models) is more important than the ratio :

Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

Preview:
Levy units with sword & billhook/crossbow & billhook model. Will be included in next update:

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Did the Select Levy use bills? I thought it was halberds though I'm hardly educated on the subject

Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:57 am Did the Select Levy use bills? I thought it was halberds though I'm hardly educated on the subject
The bill model was prepared for the English Bill and Longbowman. If you or someone have idea what weapon should the Levy use, I can easily change them.
Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

Preview:

Halberdier, this is my first model with "full" seperated weapon model.
If possible I will make seperated weapon model(replace the "pike block") for pikeman units in the future. But the priority now is to give all units with Heavy Weapon or Sword according visible weapon model.

Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

This is very cool! Will this work with Paul's Extra Nations Mod?

The new models will add lots of visual appeal and immersion.

All we need after this is for the elephant units to get added to the game.

Mord
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Mord wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:28 pm This is very cool! Will this work with Paul's Extra Nations Mod?

Mord
Hi Mord,

Adding Ivanend's modded vanilla units would be relatively easy, just copy and pasting in the new models and textures I assume. But converting all my new units to use Ivanend's weapons would be a ton of work.

I'm still far too busy on FoG2 Medieval to consider such a project.

Cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Mord
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

Paul59 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:01 pm

Cheers

Paul

You are right where you need to be, buddy! By my estimation we've got at least 3 dlc left for Ancients and Med after Storm of Arrows.

Mord.
Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

Mod updated to v.0.2 viewtopic.php?t=107048

-------------------------
Paul59 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:01 pm
Mord wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:28 pm This is very cool! Will this work with Paul's Extra Nations Mod?

Mord
Hi Mord,

Adding Ivanend's modded vanilla units would be relatively easy, just copy and pasting in the new models and textures I assume. But converting all my new units to use Ivanend's weapons would be a ton of work.

Cheers

Paul
If you don't mind, I could make a modifed version of Extra Nations Mod and apply my unit models on it and send it to you.

Return to “Pike & Shot”