Smoke effect

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Vadim84
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Smoke effect

Post by Vadim84 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:51 am

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to create a longer-lasting smoke effect. Like, instead of going away after 3/4 more units fired on smthg, to make each little spot of smole created by a firing unit lasting for a whole turn.

Wont change anything to the game itself but I personally think-lets see if i am alone or not on this- that it would be a little plus which could give more immersion to the warfare depicted in PS. I mean, smoke was a very common element in these battlefield, not only as visual but also the smell,and as I wont light a firecracker near my desk everytime I play, maybe we could think of enhancing the smoke effect already existing in the game itself?

I dont think it will be a problem in term of visibility/gameplaying, maybe if you just begin but not after 3-4 games.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Smoke effect

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:09 pm

It is a nice idea but would probably strain the graphics capability of the iPad - and we want to keep the game as near the same as possible on PC and iPad.
Richard Bodley Scott

deeter
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by deeter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:18 pm

On the other hand, having persistent smoke would be a handy indicator of who has fired this turn ... something that is currently hard to determine without opening up the unit tab. Similarly, persistent dust would show who has moved which would be aesthetically better than the little arrow currently in use. Is there a way to mod this for PC users?

Deeter

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:21 pm

deeter wrote:On the other hand, having persistent smoke would be a handy indicator of who has fired this turn ... something that is currently hard to determine without opening up the unit tab. Similarly, persistent dust would show who has moved which would be aesthetically better than the little arrow currently in use. Is there a way to mod this for PC users?
Almost certainly, but I could not tell you how. (Effects are the prerorative of the graphics team).
Richard Bodley Scott

RobGraat
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by RobGraat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:13 pm

The smoke effects lasts for a set amount of ticks/seconds. As the length of a turn is variable in real time you cannot do this by changing the effects.

You might be able to make a script that adds a looping effect to a unit, but we haven't used that feature in P&S so I can't really help you there. Although the Wimpfen script does place an effect on a terrain tile, just not on an unit.

Using the functions ShowEffectMarker or PlayEffect might get you somewhere.

Cheers,
Rob

Vadim84
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Vadim84 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:30 am

RobGraat wrote:The smoke effects lasts for a set amount of ticks/seconds. As the length of a turn is variable in real time you cannot do this by changing the effects.

You might be able to make a script that adds a looping effect to a unit, but we haven't used that feature in P&S so I can't really help you there. Although the Wimpfen script does place an effect on a terrain tile, just not on an unit.

Using the functions ShowEffectMarker or PlayEffect might get you somewhere.

Cheers,
Rob

Interesting ! Could you tell me where I should do the manipulation ?

Return to “Pike & Shot”