Dreux is deuxing my head in..!

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Waldorf
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Dreux is deuxing my head in..!

Post by Waldorf » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:06 pm

T&S, Historical scenario #1. Have been struggling for about a week now.

Initially I decided to hot-foot my infantry over to my right flank and then receive their infantry when I'd dug into a good position, sometimes using the rough ground to slow them down.

Eventually the Swiss catch up and marmalise me.

The I decided to sweep left, harass them with as much horse-born fire as possible and weaken them before my infantry delivered the killer blow.

But then the Swiss catch up and marmalise me. See the pattern? :).

The Catholic cavalry are no problem and can be quickly routed. But no combination of troop selection or strategies to waylay the Swiss work. I once got one of the Swiss off the field by being pursued, but after that, nada.

Closest I have managed is 60/50. Help!

shawkhan2
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Dreux is deuxing my head in..!

Post by shawkhan2 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 pm

My short and easy solution? Run for the woods and rough terrain with your P&S units, and use your light troops to beat their light troops.

Do not melee pike units with your troops if you can help it.

This I consider the hardest battle in the addition. Took me three tries to win it myself.
Reminds me of Gravelines in the Italian wars, but harder to win.

KateMicucci
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by KateMicucci » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:43 pm

Best I got was 58%.

I also tried running for the woods, managed to route all Catholic cavalry and support units. The problem is that the Catholic infantry chase my cavalry around the map instead of heading towards the woods to fight my infantry. Not very historical behavior.

Waldorf
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Waldorf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:11 am

Thanks folks, I'll give hiding in the woods a try! Any tips on troop selection? I suppose as much cavalry as possible given the above?

Waldorf
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Waldorf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:24 pm

Hiding in the woods with the infantry worked.

Now onto Axtorna!

Pixel
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Pixel » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Definitely a tough one. I totally agree that fighting those Swiss is not worth the effort. Although, the Huguenots do have better cavalry in this battle assuming you can keep them focused on breaking through the Catholic gendarmes. The Catholic Raw P&S also can be harassed by the Huguenot light cavalry and then pinned in melee with your P&S units if you lure the Swiss away. Since the Raw P&S aren't Keils you can at least flank or rear charge them if you position your lance Cavalry well. Routing most of the of the Catholic Cavalry and the Non-Swiss P&S units should push the percentage over just enough to squeeze in a victory.
Image Image

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Actually they are keils, but keils can be rear charged.
Richard Bodley Scott

Pixel

Post by Pixel » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks Richard. You are right of course they are indeed kiels so flank charging them is a no go. I did find that ganging up on the Raw P&S with infantry and then rear charging them while keeping the Swiss preoccupied chasing after light cavalry was useful in this battle.
Image Image

Return to “Pike & Shot”