Military History for Pike & Shot Period ?

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

ajhendrick
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Military History for Pike & Shot Period ?

Post by ajhendrick »

My military history library, all 4 tons of it (literally) is fairly extensive for most periods. Unfortunately, for the Pike & Shot period it is sadly lacking. All I have is Oman's A History of the Art of War in the Sixteenth Century, which was originally published back in 1937. While Oman's History of the Peninsular Wars has held up rather well, his A History of the Art of War in the Middle Ages has been thoroughly discredited by Beeler, Smail, and most recently Sumption (in his masterful multi-volume history of the Hundred Years War).

So, in addition to opinions about this work by Oman, I am also soliciting titles and authors of more modern and less "blinkered" works on military history for this period OUTSIDE of the Thirty Years War. I already have extensive material on that. I'm looking for something academically as well as militarily sound, which means my standards are a bit higher than the average Osprey booklet.

Thanks!
champagne
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Military History for Pike & Shot Period ?

Post by champagne »

I think that the reason why nobody has yet replied is because we simply do not know! It seems to me that the historical record for military history BEFORE the year 1700 is not very complete. When we look at the historical record for military history during the 1500s, it's rather scarce. I hope somebody has an answer for you. I'd also like to know.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Cassel did three solid overviews:

The Renaissance at War
Thomas Arnold

Warfare in the Seventeenth Century
John Childs

Galleons and Galleys
John Guilmartin
Last edited by SnuggleBunnies on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Anything for Asia?
jack54
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by jack54 »

I don't know if this is of interest but I downloaded a sample for my kindle.

The Imjin War: Japan's Sixteenth-Century Invasion of Korea and Attempt to Conquer China --Samuel Hawley

https://www.amazon.com/Imjin-War-Sixtee ... =imjin+war
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Benedict151
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Benedict151 »

Hello

Trying to recall whats on my bookshelf for this period that I thought was good... off the top of my head -

Anything by Geoffrey Parker

Battles of the 30 Years War and Later Battles of the 30 Years War, both by Guthrie

The Military Intellectual and Battle: Raimondo Montecuccoli and the 30 Years War I found fascinating

If you have a special interest in the English Civil War in Scotland then Stuart Reid's books are interesting (and revisionist)

'More than an Osprey' was mentioned but in fairness I think their books on the 30 Years War covering the Swedish army and Lutzen are some of their better ones

I can't recall very much covering the 16th century that stands out (will have to check when I get home!)

regards
Ben Wilkins
Benedict151
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Benedict151 »

Ahh, just re read the initial post asking for works outside of the 30 Years War, sorry... well many of Parkers works would fit that criteria

You might also try The Military Revolution Debate edited by Rogers which was an interesting collection of works and perhaps a good starting point

regards
Ben Wilkins
champagne

Post by champagne »

Almost all of my study of military history concerns Napoleonic to Vietnam. My impression of military history from Ancients through 1700 is that details are often lacking and the historian is compelled to use conjecture more often than we'd like.

Aren't I right about this? Think of the many battles from those olden days -- isn't it quite often that the historical record is incomplete with details such as exact orders of battle and details about what actually happened on the battlefield? Thanks.
smjohnso77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by smjohnso77 »

The Thirty Years War by Kenneth H. Wilson is a massive and very good book on that war. It is pretty detailed on that war. My book, "Unknown Wars of Asia, Africa, and the Americas that changed History" covers many of the major battles of this period in Europe, Asia, and Africa. The information on the battles in Asia and Africa are unique to any military history in English that I have come across. I cover battles from the Thirty Years War that took place in the Caribbean and Africa which no one else covers. I cover a number of battles that the Conquistadors fought with the indigenous populations of the Americas, Asia, and Africa. Most of what is in my book you never have read before. The battles of the Taiping Rebellion from 1851to 1870 in China were fought more like battles of the Thirty Years Wars than say the American Civil War which had all the most advanced weapons and tactics of that era. China was 200 years behind Europe and the US even in the 19th century and resembled something you would see in 17th century Europe. Lots of stuff on the Pike & Shot period in my book "Unknown Wars" by Steven Johnson which is available on Amazon.
Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hoplite1963 »

For the military history of world beyond Western Europe at this time its worth to look at the following;

Firearms: A Global History to 1700 by by Kenneth Chase, published by Cambridge University Press. = Probably the best place to start.
The Gunpowder Age: China, Military Innovation, and the Rise of the West in World History, by by Tonio Andrade, published by Princeton University Press.
Military Transition in Early Modern Asia, 1400-1750: Cavalry, Guns, Government And Ships, by Kaushik Roy, published by Bloomsbury Academic,
The Asian Military Revolution: From Gunpowder to the Bomb, by Peter A. Lorge, published by Cambridge University Press.
Warfare, State and Society on the Black Sea Steppe, 1500 1700, by Brian Davies, published by Routledge
Sull51
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Sull51 »

Several books come to mind
Encyclopedia of Military History to Present (1970)
Summarizes military developments of a time period followed by description of major wars and battles

The Art of Warfare in the Age Of Marlborough by David Chandler Covers 1688 to 1745
85 years of overlapping warfare

Cambridge Illustrated Atlas Warfare Renaissance to Revolution 1492 to 1792 by Black
About half of the book’s nearly 200 pages covers the time period of Pike and Shot including not only Europe’s wars, but also Americas, India and rest of Asia.
The many maps in the book result in a greater understanding of the battles, campaigns, and outcomes of the various wars. When I read Wilson’s book on the 30 Years War the maps of the separate battles were good, but references to locations in Germany and nearby countries I was lost. This book help to fill the void
Ladislav

Post by Ladislav »

I fully recommend a great book that covers all of history, but goes into extensive detail about the Pike and Shot era, from a very strategic angle. A great read and a lot to contemplate and even lessons to be utilized in the game itself! You can get it dirt cheap too (as little as $8). I personally own two copies, for both places I live in :)

ArcherJones: The Art of War in Western World

https://www.amazon.com/Art-War-Western- ... 0252069668

Review:

Archer Jones attempts to cover over 2000 years on the history of warfare in the West. And what a fantastic effort he gives. In what may be the best general military history ever written he gives a panoramic sweep of the art of warfare through the centuries. From Jone's coverage of Philip of Macedon's phalanxes to Moshe Doyan's IDF this is an impressive work.
Jones covers it in an excellent and clear writing style. He shows that the development of warfare was both evolutionary and revolutionary. Different weapons systems in the offense or defense give rise to counter systems and so on. Weapons change but successful strategies, operations and tactics still maintain essential "philosophies".
Encyclopedic in its breadth, The Art or War in the Western World is enjoyable reading for those with a serious interest in military history.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

SnuggleBunnies wrote:Cassel did three solid overviews:

The Renaissance at War
John Childs

Warfare in the Seventeenth Century
Thomas Arnold

Galleons and Galleys
John Guilmartin
You may have Childs and Arnold reversed as I own The Renaissance at War by Arnold.

Soldiers of the Virginia Colony 1607 - 1699, by D.A. Yisdale, ISBN 0-87517-110-9
This is a solid work on an obscure topic. I have a ECW Royalist miniatures army, which I have supplemented with more figures (mainly Indian allies) in order to be able to play a 17th century colonial army. I bought this book for more background information, and I have found that books on the military history of early colonial America are rare.

The Military Revolution in Sixteenth-Century Europe, by David Eltis, ISBN 1-86064-352-3
Although this book discusses the 16th century, it details the equipment, tactics and training of European armies at that time. It gives perspective to the innovations to follow in the 17th century.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
OldGiants

Post by OldGiants »

Soldiers of the Virginia Colony 1607 - 1699, by D.A. Yisdale, ISBN 0-87517-110-9
This is a solid work on an obscure topic. I have a ECW Royalist miniatures army, which I have supplemented with more figures (mainly Indian allies) in order to be able to play a 17th century colonial army. I bought this book for more background information, and I have found that books on the military history of early colonial America are rare.
Books on Colonial America military history are far less rare when you live in Virginia near the 17th Century landing areas.

Yesterday, we visited the Citie of Henricus park and I took two videos of musket firing with quite a lot of commentary.

Is there any way to upload these here? I haven't done anything with my pictures yet. I intend to post them to my local wargaming group's Facebook page, however they might be enjoyed here, too.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

OldGiants wrote:Books on Colonial America military history are far less rare when you live in Virginia near the 17th Century landing areas.
Yes, you are right. I bought my copy at Jamestown VA.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

This is interesting....regarding Jamestown, musketeers, and the use of armor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1WwQkeDuXs

There is a youtube video of the Henricus demonstration from someone else too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrIQ59vRlvY
Image Image

Return to “Pike & Shot”