Co-op Campaign Suggestion

Hell is a turn-based tactical skirmish strategy game developed by award winning developer Hunted Cow in partnership with Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Co-op Campaign Suggestion

Post by IronFist00 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:02 pm

I've already played through the campaigns solo and am currently replaying them co-op with a friend. I'm not a fan of how the missions have been implemented for co-op, specifically how existing forces are allocated to each player. It's not logical and hampers playthrough. When you have to spend a few turns reorganizing your forces into an effective force before continuing, it can be frustrating and detrimental, especially on timed missions.

Of particular ire are allied units blocking your forces from moving or getting into optimum firing ranges. Unlike BA2 which at least has the option of units swapping for a MV cost there is no such choice in HELL. You either have to lose a turn or move in an inefficient manner to try and get where you want to go, often not being able to. In solo play you move units partially, move other units, return to the original unit, attack in between moves, etc. That is a big part of success. In co-op this isn't possible until you consolidate your forces into their own kampfgruppe. The friends I'm playing with are guys I've been gaming with for 15 years so it isn't a question of coordination. We've done this type of stuff a lot in the past.

My suggestions would be change the assignment of units at the start so all a players units are grouped even if it means one player gets all ranged and the other all melee or rearrange the deployment so each player gets mixed forces but they are together. A third alternative which would probably be the easiest would be to add in the BA2 command that allows units to swap places, preferably without costing MP.

Regardless of any solution you choose to implement in the current campaigns, please consider something for future campaign when they are co-op and not solo. It really does make a world of difference.

Otherwise loving the game; as I said in another thread I have come to prefer HELL over BA2 and I love BA2. I look forward to more content so I hope the game sold well. :D

radneto
Hunted Cow
Hunted Cow

Re: Co-op Campaign Suggestion

Post by radneto » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks for your feedback on this, it's certainly something we could look at improving!
John Stewart
Hunted Cow Studios LTD.

Return to “Hell”