Barabrossa: Stopping the Titan

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.
Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Barabrossa: Stopping the Titan

Post by Eagletanker »

I have started a new (and first!) project, which is to remake each campaign from the other side. Barbarossa is up first, with the first two missions playable and needing feed back, and the third mission being made. A big thanks to Paul for helping me with some technical issues and fixing some of my spelling errors.

Link to File
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q1qc2 ... SR8-UTSGWP
To download it, just click on the file name itself and then hit download, and then do the usual steps from there.

Change Log
- New Scenario, The Highway
- Made the bridges on Surprise into strong bridges
- More foliage has been added to Surprise

That's all for this update, Good luck and have fun.
Last edited by Eagletanker on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Barabrossa: Stopping the Titan

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Hi mate, I clicked the filename and hit 'download', and got the message 'download ready', but I can't find it on my computer, what have I done wrong?
PS- What's 'Google drive' mean?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

PoorOldSpike wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:47 am Hi mate, I clicked the filename and hit 'download', and got the message 'download ready', but I can't find it on my computer, what have I done wrong?
PS- What's 'Google drive' mean?
It should appear in your Downloads folder, just the same as my files do.

But I guess you have had the same problem that I encountered when trying to download this file. When I first hit download I got a message saying that the download was being prepared, but nothing then happened. I had to hit download again, and eventually after a couple of minutes I got another message appear at the bottom of the screen inviting me to Save. It then appeared in my Downloads folder.

I must say I was a bit surprised by the first scenario. I am currently playing a modded version of the vanilla Bulge campaign from Battle Academy 1, and it is the original scenarios reversed and rebalanced to be enjoyable from the German side. Perhaps because of this recent experience, I was expecting the Barbarossa campaign to be the same, but the first scenario is a completely new battle unrelated to the original vanilla one. Maybe that original vanilla scenario was unsuitable to be made playable from the Soviet side?
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Yeah, I played the original campaign and switch to the Soviets with a few changes, it wasn’t very interesting. So I decided to remake it, and focus it on the battle of Smolensk and the soviet counter attacks, culminating in a two part typhoon mission.

P.s Google Drive is a cloud storage service. It’s my first time doing this so I needed something that I know works and have used before to share files. I used it on my computer and it works fine.if you know something better that’s free, I would be happy to switch to it and use that.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Okay I downloaded it and started playing, but first I need to know which direction the Germans are going to be coming from..:)
Also what does "Defend VP's 3/2" mean? There are 3 VP objectives and the Russian controls them all at the start, so why doesn't it say 3/0?
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

It means to hold 2 out of 3 objectives which will probably be the camp and rail bridge. I don’t know how to make are reword it, so if you know how, put it in the editor help topic I have in the BA forum so I can do so later. And I think you will be surprised on how quickly they move at first :) but after that, I need help with the AI
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

TankerOne wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:13 pm P.s Google Drive is a cloud storage service. It’s my first time doing this so I needed something that I know works and have used before to share files. I used it on my computer and it works fine.if you know something better that’s free, I would be happy to switch to it and use that.
I use Mediafire, but Google Drive should be fine I think. I guess it was just our unfamiliarity with Google Drive that led to a few problems.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Okay, what should I do to Improve the first mission. And if google drive is causing people problems, then I will scrape together some money for a dropbox account
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

TankerOne wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:07 am Okay, what should I do to Improve the first mission..
I was slaughtered in the first mission, I began quickly moving my camp units to defend the bridges, but the enemy came out of the night before I could deploy properly, and shot me to bits.
As for my 3 units which started in the town, I began pulling them back to help defend the bridges but they were cut down in the open.
I got 2 reinfs come on later but it was too late.
I'll play it again and see if I do better..;)
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

TankerOne wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:48 pm It means to hold 2 out of 3 objectives which will probably be the camp and rail bridge. I don’t know how to make are reword it..
There, you just said it perfectly, "hold 2 out of 3 objectives", I couldn't have said it better myself..:)

I just played it for the second time and it was fun, I held 2 out of 3 objs and the end message came up "Objective Completed".
But I don't know if that means I won, because the other stats were-
Lose less than 4 units- Failed.
Defend VP's 2/2

PS- I could say what my strategy was and post a screenshot if you like, or would that spoil the enjoyment for others?
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Sure, make sure it’s after the 4 turn.
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

PoorOldSpike wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:35 pm
TankerOne wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:48 pm It means to hold 2 out of 3 objectives which will probably be the camp and rail bridge. I don’t know how to make are reword it..
There, you just said it perfectly, "hold 2 out of 3 objectives", I couldn't have said it better myself..:)

I just played it for the second time and it was fun, I held 2 out of 3 objs and the end message came up "Objective Completed".
But I don't know if that means I won, because the other stats were-
Lose less than 4 units- Failed.
Defend VP's 2/2

PS- I could say what my strategy was and post a screenshot if you like, or would that spoil the enjoyment for others?
For the early missions, it’s not going to be a victory, just a delay to the German offensive. If nothing else, your going to be encircled in the next two days.

And feel free to post screenshots. Just try not to spoil too much.
rico21
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rico21 »

Good scenario TankerOne. I wait the next.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

AARGH you'd better do a little tweak TankerOne because I just discovered a sly little trick by accident!
Namely by mortaring the flag tile on the Camp bridge, we can collapse the bridge and the Germans therefore can't get onto the flag to capture it, and of course they can't get across the bridge to reach the Camp either!
Suggestion- move the flag 1 tile toward the German side of the map so that it'll be on dry ground..:)

Look, below is how I discovered the trick, I'd been mortaring a German on the bridge flag tile, and when he was dead I tried to move my Russian onto the flag to capture it but he wouldn't move. I then realised that the bridge had collapsed under the flag and no way could therefore get onto the "water" tile.
It works the other way too of course, because as soon as we get the mortar reinforcement we can shell the empty flag tile to collapse the bridge so that when jerry arrives he won't be able to capture it and the flag will stay as Russian til the end of the game, and of course Jerry won't be able to cross the bridge to attack the Camp either.

Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Alright, I will fix that in the next version, which should hopefully bring out the second mission once I am done. Though I think I know what I could do for a later mission with that hidden feature :)
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

TankerOne wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:07 pm Alright, I will fix that in the next version, which should hopefully bring out the second mission once I am done. Though I think I know what I could do for a later mission with that hidden feature :)
Another option would be to replace the existing bridge with the "Bridge-Strong Wood" object. You could also use the "Bridge-Strong Steel" object for the steel bridge. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the Strong bridge models are indestructible.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

They are, I was testing it. Didn’t think that the 82mm mortar would destroy it though
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

I've just played version 1 again, but this time I didn't demolish the Camp bridge and it stayed up throughout the whole game.
I held all 3 flags but it was balanced on a knife edge, so congrats to TankerOne for producing a first-rate well-balanced scenario, you really do have to fight with your brain every step of the way like a chess game..:)
It simply needs the rickety Camp bridge to be replaced by a tougher un-demolishable one in the next version like he said.

Endgame screenshot-

Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Quick Update, The release of the new mission and fixes to the old one shall be delayed, due to technical issues. Sorry
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

New version is ready to be downloaded.

Return to “Battle Academy 2: Scenario Design”