Unexpected behavior on campaign map

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

jklint
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Unexpected behavior on campaign map

Post by jklint »

Hi.

I was playing the English civil war campaign as the Parliamentarists and encountered some funny things which I believe to be bugs.

I had managed to push one of Royalist armies all the way to Scotland and cornered it by placing my own armies in Cumbria and Northumbria. I then attacked them with a third army, expecting to wipe them out completely. But when I defeated them in Scotland they just retreated to Northumbria where I already had placed an army specifically for blocking their retreat. No battle was triggered. The two opposing armies just stood there for the rest of the turn and in their next turn the Royalists just moved their army south, unopposed.

I loaded a save to try out a few other ways as to how to handle the situation but I've already forgotten what the results were. And unfortunately I have already overwritten the save file before thinking to report the issue here.

Anyway, after a few turns, something else strange happened. I wasn't quite paying enough attention but the situation ended up being that the enemy had an army with zero troops and could move that empty army on the campaign map. And I think that after the year changed this nonexistant army even got reinforced and became a real army again. I'm not sure how this zero man army came to be but it might have been that I surrounded the enemy retreaters in Northumbria by moving my army southwards from there and attacking them again with the army from Scotland and finally managed to squash them after some chasing.

In any case I still have the save with the zero man army, in case you'd like have a look at it. If you want me to upload it you'll have to tell me how to find this file on my hard drive though.

Also, thanks for making this great game etc.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Unexpected behavior on campaign map

Post by rbodleyscott »

The first situation is not a bug. Provinces are quite large and completely trapping an enemy army was rarely possible (although it did happen at Lostwithiel, but only because the Parliamentarians "painted themselves into a corner" by ensconcing themselves in Lostwithiel, expecting to be picked up by the fleet, which in fact never arrived.)

The second one does sound like a bug, and I would certainly be interested in seeing the save. You can find it in /my documents/my games/PSCAMP/saves

I don't have access to my PC and cannot exactly recall what the file extension is, although I think it contains an "l"
Save file are arbitrarily numbered, and the only way you can really identify the save is by the date and time on the file. If you load it and save a copy, it will be the most recent save.

I will send you a PM with my email address, so you can send it to me.
Richard Bodley Scott

jklint

Re: Unexpected behavior on campaign map

Post by jklint »

Okay then. Thanks for the explanation. Sounds reasonable enough.

Also, file sent.

Return to “Tech Support”