I need to understand these things to make a scenario...

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need to understand these things to make a scenario...

Post by pipfromslitherine »

An alternative would be

variable = (2 * variable)/3 ;

Note the brackets (there is no operator precedence).

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

to make a single player into multi player game would merely involve copying the scenario from the campaign folder into the multiplayer folder, and changing one number at the scenario victory condition line in the bsf, is it not?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

fogman wrote:to make a single player into multi player game would merely involve copying the scenario from the campaign folder into the multiplayer folder, and changing one number at the scenario victory condition line in the bsf, is it not?
Yes.
Richard Bodley Scott

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

are the new unit graphics for the medieval mod accessible in the editor?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

fogman wrote:are the new unit graphics for the medieval mod accessible in the editor?
I had to clone quite a few new units, so unfortunately they do not work in the editor. Richard has given me the 3sf files, so that I can do them properly, but the Archer 3sf file provided seems corrupted, it displays the flags in a weird way. If I can find a way of fixing it, I can release the files as a patch and all units will be usable in the editor.

Please note that this problem does not affect Campaign or Skirmish games, only the editor.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Paul59 wrote:
fogman wrote:are the new unit graphics for the medieval mod accessible in the editor?
I had to clone quite a few new units, so unfortunately they do not work in the editor. Richard has given me the 3sf files, so that I can do them properly, but the Archer 3sf file provided seems corrupted, it displays the flags in a weird way. If I can find a way of fixing it, I can release the files as a patch and all units will be usable in the editor.

Please note that this problem does not affect Campaign or Skirmish games, only the editor.
Sorry fogman,

I forgot to mention that I am referring to my Wars of the Roses Campaign here, not the Bosworth and Towton scenarios which are by Odenathus.

regards
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

ok thanks.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Paul59 wrote:

Just a quick update for everyone about this, there seems to have been a change implemented to the editor, maybe in the last official update? Before, when trying to load a cloned unit in the editor, the game would crash. Now it loads correctly, the only minor problem is that it does not read the new graphics .dds files.

For instance, when loading the new Border Archers unit (which was cloned from the Archers unit), the editor does not read the new Border Archers .dds file, it recognises only the old Archers .dds files. This can easily be worked around by renaming the .dds files and putting them in a different folder.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Paul59 wrote:
Paul59 wrote:

Just a quick update for everyone about this, there seems to have been a change implemented to the editor, maybe in the last official update? Before, when trying to load a cloned unit in the editor, the game would crash. Now it loads correctly, the only minor problem is that it does not read the new graphics .dds files.

For instance, when loading the new Border Archers unit (which was cloned from the Archers unit), the editor does not read the new Border Archers .dds file, it recognises only the old Archers .dds files. This can easily be worked around by renaming the .dds files and putting them in a different folder.
Actually, I thought this was what you meant when you said they did not work in the editor. The .s4f files have an internal texture name reference which is what the editor uses. The skirmish and campaign battle generators use the model name to determine the texture reference, so ignore the internal texture reference. So units made from cloned .s4f will work correctly in skirmishes and campaigns, but not in the editor. In the editor, they will use the texture with the original texture name, although as you say you can choose a variant from a different texture folder, using the original texture filename - but then it won't work correctly in skirmish/campaign unless you have a duplicate texture with the correct name to go with the new name of the cloned model.

To make them work correctly in the editor as well as skirmishes/campaigns, using the new texture name matching the new model name, you need to edit the texture reference in the .s3F version of the model file. As you said, the Archers .s3f file appears to be bugged, so you cannot do this for that one, as we are unlikely to be able to lay our hands on an unbugged version of the .s3f file of that particular model. The workaround would be to have versions using the old and new filenames in the appropriate texture folder.

I am not sure what was crashing the program previously. There has not been a change to the way the editor works. Most likely one of the cloned models did not exist in the \Units folder, or the name in the Squads file did not match.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

I must be going mad, I was certain that the editor always used to crash, but as you say maybe something was missing somewhere before. I have been able to create new working .s4f files using the .s3f files which you gave me, the process is very simple. I have tried to fix the Archer .s3f file, but without any luck so far. I have identified though that there must an extra chunk of code in the file that is displaying the top half of the .dds file across the top of the unit at an angle. It looks quite strange.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

macdonncadh
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by macdonncadh »

I have been working with the .s3f files but have not gotten around to the archers yet. I may not be understanding the problem properly, but would it be possible to use another model that is similar in shape, edit the .s3f and the text file, rename both and the corresponding graphic to achieve a similar effect? Some of the models I've played with have some apparent flexibility as it regards the .dds, within limitations, of course. I think I will try an experiment using the Janissaries .s3f, add the bow to the .dds and see if it is visible. Adding the sound to the .txt is nothing.

Update# Tried the experiment and it did not work...the bows were not visible. Well, nothing ventured nothing gained.
macdonncadh
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by macdonncadh »

I was looking at models in the editor...as far as anyone knows, is the crossbow .s3f bug free? Looks very similar to the archers and the bow is visible. If so perhaps for know Paul could create Border Archers by using the crossbowmen as a model basis, editing the .s3f, .txt, and .dds respectively and achieving the desired result and keeping everyone in their happy little folders?

Love your work Paul. Wish I knew the secret for making such sharp flags. I still haven't mastered the business of editing the mask layer yet.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

macdonncadh wrote:I was looking at models in the editor...as far as anyone knows, is the crossbow .s3f bug free? Looks very similar to the archers and the bow is visible. If so perhaps for know Paul could create Border Archers by using the crossbowmen as a model basis, editing the .s3f, .txt, and .dds respectively and achieving the desired result and keeping everyone in their happy little folders?

Love your work Paul. Wish I knew the secret for making such sharp flags. I still haven't mastered the business of editing the mask layer yet.
Yes, I was trying to fix the archer file by adding bows to the crossbowmen medium, it did not work for me either. I could just use the crossbowmen medium, and live without the bows. I will have a think about it.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

macdonncadh
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by macdonncadh »

I loaded the editor last night after examining many of the crossbow skins and seeing bows on them, and I thought I could see the bow. Of course it was late and maybe I was mistaken. I placed a crossbow unit on the map and cycled through several skins and...I thought I saw it. If I did, it begs the question: was the crossbow .s3f just a clone to begin with of the archers?

Now that I look at your post I see you specified crossbow medium, which I did not look at. I will try just copying the crossbow .s3f and renaming it border_archer, editing the graphic line and see if that works. I'll try it in a day or two. I've got the flu right now and don't feel like working on much of anything.

Did you tell me once you have done a version of Flodden?

Cheers.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

macdonncadh wrote:I loaded the editor last night after examining many of the crossbow skins and seeing bows on them, and I thought I could see the bow. Of course it was late and maybe I was mistaken. I placed a crossbow unit on the map and cycled through several skins and...I thought I saw it. If I did, it begs the question: was the crossbow .s3f just a clone to begin with of the archers?

Now that I look at your post I see you specified crossbow medium, which I did not look at. I will try just copying the crossbow .s3f and renaming it border_archer, editing the graphic line and see if that works. I'll try it in a day or two. I've got the flu right now and don't feel like working on much of anything.

Did you tell me once you have done a version of Flodden?

Cheers.
The light crossbow unit has a crossbow, the medium crossbows do not have any visible weapon. So they could stand in for archers, although it is not ideal, as the archer model has a bow. Have you checked your archer .s3f file yet?

I do have a scenario for Flodden, it is single player only, from the Scots side. I finished it some time ago, but I would need to check it again and bring it up to my latest standards before releasing.

Regards

FOGII TT Mod Creator

macdonncadh
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by macdonncadh »

Yes. My archer .s3f is doing the unfortunate business with the flags as well. I have to admit: my eyes are so bad I didn't notice there was a difference between the crossbow on the light crossbow unit and a bow (d'oh!). If worse comes to worse - and I think it now has - I wonder if a crossbow standing in for a bow is any less ideal than a pike standing in for just about everything else?
Richcat
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Richcat »

Hi,
if I could get my hands on the .s3f files I might be able to help out having play alot with these files in BA and BA2.

Cheers Richcat
Cheers
Richcat
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Richcat wrote:Hi,
if I could get my hands on the .s3f files I might be able to help out having play alot with these files in BA and BA2.

Cheers Richcat
Hi Richcat,

Thanks for your offer of help. But last night I finally managed to correct the Archer.3sf file myself!

There was an extra chunk of code, labelled "turret", that was giving the strange flat triangular shape on to of the unit. The chunk of code for the flags was also not working correctly. I deleted the extra turret code, and replaced the flag code with the one from the medium crossbow unit, and now it all looks fine.

I will send the corrected file to Richard, and if anyone else wants it I can send it to them as well.

I will post updated versions of my two campaign mods containing the corrected file at a later date.

Paul59

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Richcat

Post by Richcat »

Thats good news - glad you got it working. :D

Looks like it might have had a little bit of hidden geometry left over from one the BA models.

I would still be interested in the s3f files anyway to see if and how they are different to the BA ones.
Does it have any animation info in there for instance, or it just a plain object style s3f use for the buildings etc file.

I did get P&S when It came out but my son pitched it 8). I have checked out his files but they are all s4f's.
Cheers
Richcat
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Richcat wrote:Thats good news - glad you got it working. :D

Looks like it might have had a little bit of hidden geometry left over from one the BA models.
The models were designed from scratch. As far as I am aware, they did not use any geometry from BA models.

The reason for the extra code in the Archers_0.s3f file is that the artist Rob Graat was working on implementing a "storm of arrows" effect, but ran out of development time. Obviously a "storm of arrows" effect would look stupid if it went straight ahead when the target was not straight ahead. To achieve the proper direction, turret code was required. I guess that with this work uncompleted, the .s3f version of the model was left in a bugged state.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Scenario Design”