Battle of Wittstock

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Zipuli
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Battle of Wittstock

Post by Zipuli »

The third and last AAR from my Swedish battles against the imperials. This time we clash at Wittstock.

This scenario lets you buy troops and then redeploy, nice! Looking at the map I decide to buy every unit on the right side - this is cannon, all the extra Pike&Shot and more cavalry to my right wing. I redeploy my forces heavily on the right, not to head straight on into the fortifications. And the briefing tells me that hill on the right is undefended... hmmm... More forces should be on their way, but where on the battlefield they would appear is not known.

Starting the scenario I notice two things. First, I have very limited time to accomplish the task! Maybe it's the nightfall that is on its way? The second thing is that there seems to be a force of imperial dragoons waiting for my advance, ready to fire at my flanks. Ha! Good thing I deployed my 3 units of commanded shot in the forest just below them, so the attempted flanking fire is countered by my own flanking move. I also unlimber the cannons and point them at the dragoons.

--------------------

The battle commences with the dragoons being surprised by the commanded shot units emerging from the forest. They are supported by some Horse, so countercharging will not work. At the same time I start moving a big cavalry force best speed on my right, racing forth to take the hill that is said to be undefended. But with the fog of war and limited visibility I cannot be sure about that... On the center the infantry moves up with one detail of cavalry following and on my left I move the two lines of cavalry to observe the enemy fortification.

Soon the dragoons are dealt with, and they rout and disperse without inflicting much damage to my force. Though they did observe my axis of attack. With all units now moving up best speed, I get the enemy line under observation. The imperials stand behind the fortifications, but a large cavalry force is soon sighted moving to counter my cavalry's move to take the hill. I then decide to commit my cavalry from the second line, behind the infantry as well as from my left. The cavalry takes a sharp right, moving from behind the advancing infantry line and move up towards the left side of the hill in a column. The right has advanced further, with the commanded shot moving through the woods, trying to keep up.

Getting better and better look at my opponent when moving up, I notice he has similar composition in the cavalry than me, but I have a few Hakkapeliitta units that are devastating in charge. I decide to keep pushing from the right, to take the right edge of the hill, then turn left to form an anvil. The hammer would be the cavalry column moving towards the left edge of the hill. In between the commanded shot are trying to keep up to harass the imperial cavalry.

I manage to get there first and the mostly veteran cavalry force takes the hill, turns left and charges the imperial cavalry. Tied up, it's now up to speed of advance and correct choice of targets for the cavalry charges that will win or ruin the day.
Attachments
Image 1: Veteran cavalry forming the anvil, while the hammer is racing to hit the imperial flank.
Image 1: Veteran cavalry forming the anvil, while the hammer is racing to hit the imperial flank.
2015-07-30_00001.jpg (180.82 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
Image 2: With the fighting now on, the infantry line is moving in to counter imperial Pike&Shot before they can tip the balance in the cavalry fighting.
Image 2: With the fighting now on, the infantry line is moving in to counter imperial Pike&Shot before they can tip the balance in the cavalry fighting.
2015-07-30_00003.jpg (188.98 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
Zipuli

Re: Battle of Wittstock

Post by Zipuli »

Part II:

I seize the initiative in the cavalry fight, with the veterans from the right engaging weaker foes head on and the more average cavalry moving to hit the imperial veterans in the flanks. But looking at the remaining turns, I see what the scenario designer had in mind. With no reinforcements yet in sight, and the imperial line starting to move to my right en masse, I calculate the odds and come to the conclusion, that only way to win this scenario is to try to inflict 40% casualties (routed) to the imperials, but this means I need to keep mine under 15%! Damn! I alter the plan a bit, and instead of trying to engage the enemy main line I decide to crush the enemy left flank - in addition to the cavalry already engaged the imperials have some 8 units of Pike&Shot moving towards my right flank. The rest of the enemy should not be able to reach my lines if I act quickly. And also seeing the remaining turns, I come to the conclusion that even if my reinforcements arrive, they will not reach the battle in time before I run out of time. To work then!

I move all of the remaining cavalry minus 2 units to take part in the fighting on the hill. I also move the infantry forwards quickly to engage the Pike&Shot, forcing them to turn to face my infantry instead of the cavalry.

With well timed charges, the enemy cavalry line is breached and multiple Swedish units get to attack the remaining imperial cavalry from all sides. The fighting for the hill indeed goes my way. But a number of pursuing Swedish cavalry find themselves inside the imperial lines and are routed. The number of routed Swedes rises at an alarming rate. Finally the arriving reinforcements add to the total number of units and the percentage of routed units on my side drop to 10. Phew! The imperials have 30% routed, but the main force is closing in...

It's death or glory now, the infantry joins the battle and I leave a small force and unlimber the cannons to cover my left to buy time in the decicive attack on my right. If I manage to crack the Pike&Shot units, I will win! If I don't the imperial main line will engage mine and with so few turns remaining and the reserves never making it to the battle, I will not achieve the required outcome in time!
Attachments
Image 3: With the enemy cavalry routed, the imperial Pike&Shot need to be dealt with quickly. Casualties are 14 to 35. One routed unit from me, and I will not win!
Image 3: With the enemy cavalry routed, the imperial Pike&Shot need to be dealt with quickly. Casualties are 14 to 35. One routed unit from me, and I will not win!
2015-07-30_00004.jpg (188.2 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
Image 4: The imperials abandon the fortifications and move in to join the battle.
Image 4: The imperials abandon the fortifications and move in to join the battle.
2015-07-30_00005.jpg (157.22 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
Zipuli

Post by Zipuli »

Part 3:

With the casualties 14% on my side, I must not make a single error. Even one unit routing will mean my loss.

On my left flank the Swedish Pike&Shot engage the first imperial ones. I concentrate musket fire against a single unit at a time on my right. If they are demoralized, the Hakkapeliitta and Veteran Cavalry is standing by to charge.

Just as the imperial main line stars to form up against my flank guard, ready to overwhelm them, one of the Pike&Shot on my right gets fragmented. I charge in with some cavalry. Few units are repulsed and they pull back, but one charge hits home. Before ending the turn, my casualties are 14% and the imperial 38%. If the imperials are unable to rout a single of my units, and the melee goes my way, there is a chance!

And right at the end of the melee phase, the enemy Pike&Shot cracks before the cavalry charge, and the unit next to it, after receiving heavy musketfire, also routs. The scenario ends with my casualties at 14%, the enemy's at 40% and the left flank holding, barely! What a thriller!
Attachments
Image 5: The situation before the last end of turn click. See how far the reinforcements are, and how close the situation is.
Image 5: The situation before the last end of turn click. See how far the reinforcements are, and how close the situation is.
2015-07-30_00006.jpg (173.25 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
Image 6: The final numbers before the night falls...
Image 6: The final numbers before the night falls...
2015-07-30_00007.jpg (195.79 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

That's so one-sided.

Return to “After Action Reports”