Infantry Square Mod

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Cronos09
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Infantry Square Mod

Post by Cronos09 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:42 am

I added the Square script from FoG2 to P&S: https://drive.google.com/open?id=129eDQ ... vfnO6vEbtV (it's only a set of scripts, not a ready scenario)
To describe the infantry square in P&S, I give a quote from the FoG2 manual with my changes:
Units having a number of 900 or more with bayonets and being on the open ground can form square. This uses the unit’s entire move allowance for the turn. Units in square:
1. Are immune to flank or rear charges.
2. Cannot charge.
3. Never pursue even if raw.
4. Use their entire movement allowance to move 1 square, turn or leave square.
5. Have higher Close Combat Rating and less Shooting Attack Rating (about 65-70%% in comparison with their non-square formation).
6. Get more losses from enemy musket/arquebus and artillery fire.
7. Get all bonuses from bayonets against cavalry charges.
A unit cannot form or leave square while in close combat or it is behind obstacles. A unit in square automatically leaves square when it routs.
Leaving square also uses up the unit's full movement allowance for the turn. But it can shoot after leaving square as well as after the formation of the square.
You can activate-deactivate this mode with the right click on the unit like in FoG2. After activating the square mode the Sq icon will appear next to the unit flag in addition to writing to the infoboard.
I removed bayonet bonuses from infantry units while they are not in the square formations. Thus, the cavalry becomes the main shock force on the battlefield.

Paul59
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Re: Infantry Square Mod

Post by Paul59 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 am

Many thanks for this Cronos, it's always good to see modders still working on this game.

Is it possible to introduce Group Moves from FOG2 to P&S?

cheers

Paul
Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi, Paul!

I tried to add this feature to my General mod, especially there are already commands/groups in it. It was not difficult to add neccessary scripts, but as a result I had problems with unit routfinding when a unit had another unit on its rout at the initial position. I had to comment/remove SetUnitRouteMask command, as it's absent in the P&S battlescript. As I see it allows to change routefinding calculations for the required units.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:17 pm

Cronos09 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:49 pm
Hi, Paul!

I tried to add this feature to my General mod, especially there are already commands/groups in it. It was not difficult to add neccessary scripts, but as a result I had problems with unit routfinding when a unit had another unit on its rout at the initial position. I had to comment/remove SetUnitRouteMask command, as it's absent in the P&S battlescript. As I see it allows to change routefinding calculations for the required units.
Yes, it does, it allows them to ignore specified other units when routefinding, so they don't try and route round each other.

Unfortunately this is one of the features that was added in the ARCHON engine, and there is no equivalent in the STUB engine used for P&S.

Hence I don't think that group movement, in formation, is possible to Mod into P&S.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Modders Corner”