New Mega Merge Mod (Campaign / factions / Scenarios etc..)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: New Mega Merge Mod (Campaign / factions / Scenarios etc..)

Post by Nskap2 »

Yes, the increase in the scale of battles, the variety of units, their weapons and scenarios led to a decrease in the stability of the game. But these are quite rare non-recurring errors.
Shrike
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Shrike »

OK, seeing Martyr's Point, I need to ask: did you play test this yourself at all? I hate to sound harsh, but quantity doesn't mean quality. If you were to add up the points value of the orcs and compare it to what the player can field, the odds will easily be something of the order of 100 to 1. But wait, the enemy has countless Gargants and the player has no access at all to comparable units. Granted, since you have no points to buy any such caliber replacements to begin with, that is a moot point. To add insult to injury, some enemy units have over 1000 health points ... which drags out an already top heavy scenario unreasonably. In short: this one is a campaign ender either way I look at it, which is strange as I'm pretty sure you added more scenarios afterwards. I actually held out until some mention of Orc batteries to be destroyed, but that's laughable when your few surviving units at that point are hopelessly pinned down anyway. if that meant that now you could just give up the factories and focus on destroying the batteries without fearing a campaign loss, that doesn't really help. Even if by some miracle any player unit could make it through the endless enemy assaults, it will move at a snail's pace towards the objective, where I'm sure there would be an equally insane welcoming committee. So although I appreciate what you were trying to go for, it's currently an endless slog that's ultimately pointless as it is impossible to win. In case you wonder: I'm playing at challenging setting, which allowed me to play through all previous scenarios without ending up in a death spiral. Even masochists have their limits :)
My advice: tone down the enemy troop count considerably, foresee reasonable turn points income for the player and make better units available to spend those points on. And above all: check whether the scenario can actually be won. Actually: best to tone down ALL enemy stats as well.
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

I was expecting this :). Сadia must stands until Risa arrives.Your infantry alone is not enough, the perimeter is huge, the Cadians are not Krieg infantry, treat it more carefully :).In this scenario, the Commander has the opportunity to receive a total of 2 armiger class titans as a reward for tasks + the opportunity to completely restore them twice in repair facilities for free,+ one of the most powerful ordinatus artillery,+ Karskin veterans squad+bonus morale for all Cadians+ Cadian Leman Russ + about 10000-15000 points. In principle, you can just help the Cadians with artillery or super heavy tanks, then get about 8000-12000 points (if Ryza visits the factories in the center of map marked as a Christmas tree).In addition, most of the "in-game" messages give hints about what to do.In order to somehow make the game more "intense" and make the Commander feel the taste of victory "on the verge", I added quite a lot of Gargants, this is not even a Great Gargant, not a custom Supa Gargant, and certainly not a Mega Gargant (with a legion of Stomps) - even a Vortex will not destroy them with a volley(Vortex, by the way, destroys Gargant with one shot, yes, it does terrible things, and therefore it stands like a whole regiment).In addition, for the first 5 scenarios, you could have ~5 bonus units and you could hire Adeptus Mechanicus units - the best technologies available to the imperium.

I had to take into account that by the time of the Point of Martyrs, the Commander will have an army for which all the orcs on the map of the Point of Martyrs will be bugs under his feet, even if they attack at the same time.That's why I'm forcing you to rush around the map and disperse your forces. And yet you can easily take turns to repel all the attacks of gargants or nobs.The mod is designed for Very Hard complexity, I haven't tested the others. And yes, use the Death Corps of Krieg infantry,these silent bastards have sapper shovels and they cost few points.And, by the way, orcs shoot very badly and in general they have a big problem with accuracy, they are already weakened. I added only two working scenario 6 and 7 , I forgot to delete the rest, you can play them, but they are not connected according to the script and may contain errors.
Last edited by Nskap2 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

Ideally, this is exactly what I wanted from this scenario.I wanted the Commander to feel emotions, and not just exchange blows with units on the map. There are about 50 sсripts in it, and there are some that will slightly prevent you from solving some problems ahead of time :)
map.png
map.png (115 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
I calculated the number of moves needed to complete the tasks and complete the scenario, taking into account that the Commander will be less effective than me by 5-10 moves.Some tasks can be obtained only under certain conditions, for example, Costellin must visit the barracks immediately after his speech, but no later than 3 turn, otherwise the Karskin veterans task will only be partially available and this will be a punishment in the form of increasing the complexity of the scenario, because I spent time on it and you did not pay attention to my work :).
Last edited by Nskap2 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Thanks for your clarification, but I have some bad news for you. First of all, to assume one can start the scenario with an abundance of God-level troops is a mistake. the previous one is already a heavy grinder which saw a lot of good units killed off. Since I didn't know there would be a next scenario, I didn't even care at the time, but it's not like I threw them away casually. Secondly, yes, I made sure Riza visited every factory square. However, that absolutely didn't give me 10k-15K of points. The two armiger titans are a joke compared to the sheer number of Orcs of which ALL have over the top health stats. It takes forever to kill them off, which is simply never going to happen. I had to check the map editor to know there's supposed to be a Vortex gun around, but again, the player won't ever reach it to begin with and just like the two measly Armigers, it's not even making a dent in the endless waves of attackers. That's another thing: the attackers have plenty of higher mobility units. Those armigers & Vortex are so slow they can't relocate to where they're needed at all. That also goes for most of the units that are available to the player btw. Third, I won't believe for a second you actually beat your own scenario on very hard unless you stacked the deck by adding a plethora of highest tier units. In my case, my core force was 17 units short and the repairs to my remainder meant that at scenario start I had less than 1000 points to begin with. Until Riza enters the factory hexes, that means you get ZERO points for like 20 turns or something, which is already hard enough to barely survive until then.
Anyway, your base assumption of how a player will start is already the biggest flaw as it guarantees to kill the fun early on. Prolonging that to 75 turns (if any units survive that long) translates into multiple days of real time to play through that, all the while wondering about the futility of it all. Note that I have 1000+ hours in this game and have done at least 5 playthroughs of the original Mega Merge Mod campaign. Frankly, I only play the regular game at its highest difficulty level but even though that boosts enemy troop counts immensely, at least those troops don't get crazy boosts to their health which in this mod automatically turns everything into an unending slugfest.
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Nskap2 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:47 pm ... use the Death Corps of Krieg infantry, these silent bastards have sapper shovels and they cost few points. And, by the way, orcs shoot very badly and in general they have a big problem with accuracy, they are already weakened....
Heh, that's not what the unit types info says for melee. Death Korps of Krieg Infantry infantry has exactly the same melee accuracy as the Mega Armored Nobz, Ranged accuracy is not that relevant when your units are constantly engaged from all sides. Also, your defenders quickly end up all red (bad morale) and stay red, so don't forget that impact on their performance. As for the Orc non-infantry units: both melee and ranged accuracy is far superior to the DKoK infantry AND tanks! Only the super heavy tanks have better ranged accuracy, but that's a moot point if you (hardly) can't buy any.
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Well maybe there's also a problem with scenario triggers, as you mentioned over 50 to be in there and I only ever saw a fraction of that. I can tell you that those tanks/convoy spawned in the middle of the Orcs mob, so none survived. Ryza's group spawned on the left of the map. I managed to save about 2/3rds by sacrificing the others to allow them to escape. yes, I did get a few karskin infantry, but like the two armigers, they were a small drop in a large ocean. Never saw a trigger for the vortex and as explained, the message about the orc guns was just unhelpful as there was no way to ever reach them with any unit.
And after checking the scenario start, I was actually 18 units short of a full core roster and starting with ... 87 requisition points :o

And I never got to see Costellin's initial dialogue because it wasn't clear to me that the player was supposed to move him onto that hex. This is what the expedition looks like before I get to do my first move.
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

I have significantly strengthened the Comander units, using the example of the convoy:
convoy 2.jpg
convoy 2.jpg (501.36 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
convoy3.jpg
convoy3.jpg (465.25 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
I didn't use requisition points here, only unit abilities and cover
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

As for Costellin's message, I didn't think it was that difficult:
cadhq.jpg
cadhq.jpg (454.6 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
ctin.jpg
ctin.jpg (486.91 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

87 requisition points = Death Corps Infantry squad + 27 points.If you disband at least one annihilator tank (which you probably have :)) you will be able to hire 10 more .You should refuse to withdraw the fight as you fought it in the vanilla version or in the original Mega Merge. The cost of regular infantry is low, there is nothing unusual in this: lasguns and shovels are cheap and simple weapons.Infantry gains experience very quickly and quickly dies.I made it so that now not only Leman Russ Annihilator is effective.As for the slow units, I don't understand because in the original Mega Merge there were no such fast and powerful units as, for example, Death Rider or Armiger Helverin - they move even in the enemy's control zone.And super heavy tanks? How can we not pay attention to their strengthening?By their mere appearance on the battlefield, some of them raise morale!They are very powerful even against infantry in the fortification:
hellh.jpg
hellh.jpg (378.38 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

In particular, this super-heavy tank Magna Invictoria is given free of charge "for attentiveness" and the use of heroes for their intended purpose.
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

As for the Vortex, what does slow mean? He has a range of 10! Why would he rush somewhere?
vortex.jpg
vortex.jpg (526.12 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
All artillery, like everything else, has been changed.Deathstrike can destroy an infantry unit not only tanks
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

Shrike wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:29 pm Third, I won't believe for a second you actually beat your own scenario on very hard unless you stacked the deck by adding a plethora of highest tier units. In my case, my core force was 17 units short and the repairs to my remainder meant that at scenario start I had less than 1000 points to begin with.
My army at the time of Martyrs point, not an ideal passage, but close, all infantry units are lost, 19 are missing to a full deck. Of this army, I received 3 for visiting special places, including a super heavy tank, 2 more walkers are given in 3 mission to everyone, 2 disbanded, 1 upgraded, 2 left as is.

My update is different in that after completing all the tasks, even those that are "impossible", like destroying all necrons in missions 3-4, the Commander will receive a reward.
Attachments
start.jpg
start.jpg (474.24 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Well, you know, if you made the modifications, of course YOU will know how to get the most out of it :D When I see you rocking 4 Deathstrikes ... knowing they cost each 5000+ points ... I never was able to afford any at all. When I mentioned Vortex I should have said Ordinatus instead. Still don't know how to get that one.
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

Of course, I know how to get the most out of each unit, but not because I made a mod, but because I know the rules of the Armageddon game :) To simply find what is hidden, it is enough to hover the mouse cursor over an obviously unusual object and read the description. Such objects stand out strongly against the background of sand or stones :wink: ;D You can purchase at least one Deathstrike already at the start of the second mission:
mission 2.jpg
mission 2.jpg (454.29 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
I have completed each mission 1-5 several dozen times.I know how many points the Commander will have on average with an adequate choice of a deck of units, how many moves he needs to get somewhere, and so on. I also know the maximum number of points a Сommander can get, and that a Commander can execute some scenarios twice as fast as the allotted turns.
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Well you know, if your assumption is that every player should spend a year of their life finding all of that out, then chances are you'll remain a single sample to play your mod the way you seem to intend it. I really don't want to sound this negative, but I hope you at least understand how unrealistic your expectations are. You have obviously put a lot of time and effort in this and I appreciate that. It's just that the enjoyment for anyone else lacking your experience as the creator doesn't seem to be a concern.
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

Mission 7 has been balanced, the victory conditions have been changed, big boss can be broken, or you can run away from him. The balance of some barrel artillery has been changed and I may have changed the balance of some infantry units or not :)
fix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1228IrG ... sp=sharing
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

I thought it would be fun to create a kind of "reputation" of a Commander among the factions.So that... Now the Commander will have a "reputation" among the Cadians, the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Adeptus Arbites, and so on. This will be expressed in the form of assistance in combat, requisition points, fortifications, bonus units, vehicle repairs, treatment of soldiers, temporary reinforcement of the unit or something else that I will come up with :D . And I also thought it would be funny if I created a negative "reputation" for the Commander, in front of the xenos, for example, if the commander is a malicious destroyer of opponents, then more tests will be expected for him :twisted: . "Reputation" can be "earned" by doing something more than just the main task :P . So now it may be advantageous to lose more points in the scenario by doing unnecessary "tasks" to get an additional reward immediately or maybe after several scenarios or not :shock:
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

Commander will have a limited opportunity to change the landscape, for example, to build fortifications.Very limited. And I haven't thought about why he needs it yet. But I thought it would be fun to give this opportunity to the xenos :D
screen10.jpg
screen10.jpg (494.01 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
screen11.jpg
screen11.jpg (496.23 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Shoughie
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Shoughie »

Can we request new units be added to this amazing mod? I love the amount that have been added so far.
Nskap2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Nskap2 »

New units appear in each mission, starting with the first mission :) . Sometimes for the Imperium, sometimes for the Xenos, in some missions for both the Imperium and the Xenos. I'm adding several units to make it more interesting to play the campaign, if you add everything at once, the interest in the game will disappear. For the same reason, not all open units are immediately available in each mission, and some are only available as a reward for hidden "quests", these units cannot be bought for points.It is also easier for me to balance units when there are few of them, when there are many units, it is difficult to avoid excessive reinforcement of some and the uselessness of others. In addition, new units for Chaos, Orcs, Necrons, Tyranids and so on appear in missions where there are such xenos (as an enemy, of course... or not :roll: ).New units for the Adeptus Astartes, Mechanicus, Arbites and so on appear in missions where there are these factions, and in these missions they can be obtained or not :twisted: .

Return to “Mods and Scenario Design”