Upgradeable units

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators, Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

Joubarbe
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Upgradeable units

Post by Joubarbe » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:14 pm

Hey !

Another question : how does the game manage the upgrade feature ? I mean, when can we upgrade a unit, and with what unit ? How to tell the game that I want the player to be able to update his scouts with better scouts ?

I understand that I would need to make a second Scout unit, but I don't get how to make the link between each other.

Caveman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Upgradeable units

Post by Caveman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:56 pm

My guess is, that the units have to be of the same faction and the same (or related) class. Have a look in the unittypes.whdat. But I couldn't find the option/file to make a newly added unit purchasable at all - and if it is not purchasable, it is not upgradeable either. Of course there are some avail*.whdat-files, but they just control what is purchasable in the tutorial missions.

Joubarbe
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Joubarbe » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Yep, that's the problem indeed :) My idea would be to make the upgrade with the trait "nopurchase", but have it on the upgrade screen... Probably not possible, but who knows.

CiZerin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by CiZerin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:33 am

Maybe this could help.
For example you want to add some units for 1st mission in Act1.
Open CampScen1A.whscn with notepad. You will see "avail6.whdat" inside. So 1st mission use available list of units from file avail6.whdat.
For example, 20 Mission use list from avail8.whdat file.

Joubarbe
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Joubarbe » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:11 am

Thanks CiZerin, a hard info to find ! I hope they'll update the editor.

Do you have any idea how the upgrade works then ? With the "prerequisite" column maybe ?

EDIT : the problem with the notepad solution is that you can edit existing files, but you cannot add your own "availX.whdat" into your own scenarios. I would be glad to see the "options" menu of the scenario editor work as it should. Maybe that's the key.

Caveman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Caveman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:55 am

Nice spot CiZerin! Thanks!

Sadly editing the File with notepad crashes the scenario. Maybe we could try an old fashioned hex-editor... or the devs get the editor-features working ;)

Joubarbe
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Joubarbe » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:37 pm

So, any developers to answer to that ? I mean, it would be veryyyy interested to know how to manage upgrades :)

Return to “Mods and Scenario Design”