And now that?

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
Divadov
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

And now that?

Post by Divadov »

After playing 3 games and winning, what else can you do with this game?

I can't find any mod, campaigns or multiplayer mode or anything else?

Is this game that short? Can't you do anything else?
ab067
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: And now that?

Post by ab067 »

I find the challenge is trying play as close to a realistic simulation as possible by using Rules of Engagement.

EG....

Only ARVN can enter villages for intel.

Other units must obtain intel by direct assault (ie direct fire). Direct fire provides intel after the battle, whereas indirect fire does not.

Cobra gunships can use the indirect fire against NVA units with RPG. Less chance of being shot down by multiple, unseen units with RPG.

However, if the NVA retreats, the Cobra must do a search (ie use up all the remaining moves in a search for where the NVA unit retreated to.....NVA retreat west)) During a turn the Cobra and M48 Tank can attack multiple times with direct fire.

I move the two hueys (see below for hunter\killer team explanation) to drop ARVN\infantry to block any NVA that try to escape.

Direct fire must be used against NVA and VC without RPG unless the unit is out of range with direct fire. (Again, to obtain intel)

When a NVA or VC are in the open the Huey must drop the infantry or ARVN directly into the hex to attack the enemy, not adjacent. (simulates a hot LZ) This also allows the infantry\ARVN to pursue the NVA if it retreats to the west.

Hueys can also airdrop infantry directly into an NVA Artillery base. I only drop Infantry with a lot of experience and AFTER the NVA Artillery base has fired off its first shot during the turn otherwise you will lose the Huey and the infantry unit. I do not use ARVN.

Airstrikes can only be used against NVA Artillery support bases.

Only the Chinook can transport the howitzer, not the Huey.

If I have a Chinook and a firebase is within range I will move my artillery closer to destroy the NVA base.

If a Huey is damaged(wounded) it should return immediately to the base or the engineer to be repaired. Other units can still be used, but cautiously.

My hunter/killer teams consist of two Hueys (one ARVN, one Infantry} plus a Cobra. They move one hex at a time in a tight group with the Cobra in the center. I load the infantry the turn before so that I can drop the ARVN\Infantry during the next turn and if things go bad, pick them up again during the same turn.

I send these teams deep into NVA territory (western edge of the map).

Prior to entering a village the Infantry sweeps for mines and the ARVN then moves into the village for intel.

If an ARVN, Infantry or Ranger(GB) is wounded it has priority to be removed (medevac)

Infantry and ARVN must minesweep prior to movement into an unknown location.

I use other Hueys to support the infantryARVN with supplies so they can search the jungle and set up ambushes for long periods.

My Ranger (Green Beret) is used primarily to have 6 to 8 active ARVN)

A lot of my info is based on unclassified docs found in archive.org using Vietnam helicopters as a start for the document search.
Divadov

Post by Divadov »

I understand that these options have to be done manually, there aren't any mod for the game.

Anyway, Vietnam 65 seems like Check your 6, another good game released by Matrix-Slitherine without development after released.

If you like the game you could continue with Afghanistan 11, after payout again, a shame!!!
ab067
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ab067 »

Using Rules of Engagement is a manual mod that makes the game more enjoyable\realistic and gives greater depth and life to a very good game.

I find using a manual mod is similar following the printed rules when playing the older SSI\Avalon Hill hex counter games. A pain in the ass, but it works.

I picked up Afghanistan 11 on sale as well, but I enjoy Vietnam '65 so much and find it very immersive while playing Vietnam songs in the background that I haven't played it...yet.
uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by uzbek2012 »

Interestingly, the addon was not released on these games !? )

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Will there be a new addon ?
bondjamesbond
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by bondjamesbond »

https://mynickname.com/id73473

Return to “Vietnam '65”