The JVM???

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

gehrig38
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

The JVM???

Post by gehrig38 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Here's what I am getting whenever I try to start Napoleon or Grand Strategy. Just downloaded them in the last 24 hours, so they're the latest versions.
"The JVM could not be started. The main method may have thrown an exception."

From what I can tell, surfing around, it's an issue with java, screen resolution and/or refresh rate?

Windows 7 64-bit Doghouse computer.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: The JVM???

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:58 pm

If you have upgraded to Grand Strategy 3.1 you need to install it over a MH-CEAW v1.12 game (with serial number). GS v3.1 can't be run by itself unless you have bought it as a new game. Then it's bundled with MH-CEAW v.12

gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:19 am

I bought it as a new game, after buying the older version pre-grand strategy release. Now I've bought it twice and it still doesn't work.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:53 am

Have you installed Java on your PC?

gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:35 pm

I am semi computer literate, so I have SOME idea of what I am doing:) Ya, Java, latest version, installed.
So frustrating, neither game is working, Napoleon nor WWII.

In re-reading this it might sound sarcastic, or smart assed, it was not intended that way. Just wanted anyone helping to know I am able to root around and kind of fix some things if asked.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:47 am

Since both CNAW and CEAW aren't working it seems you have an issue with the game engine and not the actual games. Maybe some components you have installed on your PC are incompatible with JVM. You could try to reinstall Windows 7 and then install CNAW and CEAW first. Then check if these programs run. Only then you start installing your other programs one by one while testing that CEAW still runs. When you install the program that causes the problem then you know the source of the incompatibility.

Not being able to run JVM on a Windows 7 PC is quite rare indeed.

One thing you could try first is to set your screen resolution to 1024x768 and check if that makes JVM run. If yes then there are some issues with your graphics setup. I run at 1920x1080 myself and the games can scale to that size even if the resolution within the game is 1024x768.

I know that if the screen resolution is below 1024x768 then the game won't run since it requires at least that resolution to draw some dialog boxes.

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”