Game locking up

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Ostwindflak
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Game locking up

Post by Ostwindflak » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:12 am

I could not find a thread pertaining to this. I have GS v3.10 and my game has been running fine up until now. It is April 13, 1943 (Turn 67) and my game is locking up. It goes through the Eastern front phase and then the map switches to North Africa (Morocco area) and the game then locks up. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to shut the program down.

My OS is Vista x64. This issue occurs whether I am running the game in Admin. mode or not. Any ideas what is causing this or how to fix it?

*Edit* I installed that latest Java update last night and that had no effect on it either. It is still locking up at the same spot on Turn 67. Also thought I would mention I purchased the game off from Matrix instead of the Slitherine site incase that makes a difference.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Game locking up

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:14 am

You need to send me your save game where the game will lock up. PM me your email address so I can send you my email address

Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:35 am

Well I tried to PM my e-mail address to you, however I get a lovely message saying "Your post looks too spammy for a new user, please remove the URLs in your post". Of course the only URL is my e-mail address.

In my user control panel options I have "user can contact via e-mail" set to "yes". Does my e-mail address not show up when you click on my name? I did not see an option to set it to viewable if you can't. I also saw that I can't even create a profile yet because I need to "make a few posts first". :shock:

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:36 pm

You can always send the save file to support[at]slitherine.co.uk and we will forward to Stauffenberg. :)

Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:39 pm

Thank you for the reply VPaulus. Later tonight when I get home from work and the gym I will see if I can put my saved game into an attachment and send it to the link you provided.

Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:14 am

I have sent my saved game to the support address for forwarding.

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:39 am

Hello. I have also experienced a game ending lockup using the v3.1 mod. It happens during the campain scenario, and I updated Java also. I left several posts on the Matrix forums, but did not get a reply.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:37 am

I don't think anyone are following CEAW on the Matrix forum. This is the active forum. If you have save games with lock up then I can look at them if you send the save game. PM me your email address and I can forward my address.

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:33 am

Stauffenberg wrote:I don't think anyone are following CEAW on the Matrix forum. This is the active forum. If you have save games with lock up then I can look at them if you send the save game. PM me your email address and I can forward my address.
This PM message:

My email is ...(REMOVED PER SYSTEM MESSAGE IN BOTH PM AND FORUM).(I may be new to this particular forum, but have been on the Matrix forum since 2009). I am very poor with computers. But I love to play. I will try to send my save game file though. Thanks. Also v2.0 worked well/ no lockups with this same computer, so I may go back...or wait and hope v3.2 fixes my problem.

Got me this response from the system:

Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs.

REALLY??? I often give up and go to a different game rather than deal with it (like I have with Time of Fury).

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:07 pm

That's the forum anti-spam filter acting.
Send us your save file to support[at]slitherine.co.uk and we will forward to Stauffenberg.

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:11 am

I sent my save file to support as requested. At least I hope that's what I did! Hey, thanks anyways. If this gets too complicated I may go back to v2 (last version that worked well).

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 am

I forward both saves to Stauffenberg.

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:46 pm

Thank you VPaulus. I really was enjoying all the new stuff in the v3.1 and hope he can find something that is fixable for me!

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:53 am

I have tested both save games and can recreate the lock up. It's vs Axis AI. Unfortunately we don't get a code crash reported so we can check that code line. This suggests the game is locked in a loop with no way out. It will take some more time to figure out this.

I suspect this has something to do with Axis submarine units since subs can now decide to be hiding instead of ambushing enemy units moving over them. If you hide and an enemy naval unit ends a turn in the same hex as the sub then the sub is moved to an adjacent empty sea hex. I wonder if this isn't happening properly for AI games so you end up with 2 units in the same hex. When the code then wants to move the Axis AI sub it can't select it because an Allied unit is in the same hex too.

This is a possible candidate since sub hiding was introduced in GS v3.1. It will take some time finding the reason for this bug.

Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:42 am

I really appreciate you looking into this Stauffenberg and thank you for the update.

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:44 am

Ostwindflak wrote:I really appreciate you looking into this Stauffenberg and thank you for the update.
+1

I think my convoys were hit really hard the past couple turns or so and I brought as many sea battle groups as possible to look for the subs (without much success). I remember thinking, how am I ever going to stop these sub attacks, as they devestated my convoys, but I couldn't seem to make them pay by rushing units to the scene and attacking the subs before they could escape, a tactic that worked in v2... :?

sad ham
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by sad ham » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:18 am

Hello, I'm playing CEAW version 3.10 on my PC ( running Windows XP) and when I'm playing on the Allied side vs. German, it happens several times that the game is locking up and I cannot go on.

Unfortunately I cannot send PM with my email address because the antispam filtering, and now I'm following the VPaulus's suggestion to send the save file to support, so that they can forward it to Stauffenberg.

Please let me know if it is possible to fix the issue. As I told you, it happens several times in several games when I play on the Allied side.

sad ham

Post by sad ham » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:46 am

Stauffenberg wrote:I suspect this has something to do with Axis submarine units since subs can now decide to be hiding instead of ambushing enemy units moving over them. If you hide and an enemy naval unit ends a turn in the same hex as the sub then the sub is moved to an adjacent empty sea hex. I wonder if this isn't happening properly for AI games so you end up with 2 units in the same hex. When the code then wants to move the Axis AI sub it can't select it because an Allied unit is in the same hex too.

This is a possible candidate since sub hiding was introduced in GS v3.1. It will take some time finding the reason for this bug.

Hello Stauffenberg. I don't know if you have received my file, by the way I agree with you. The bug is related to the AI subs.
Who can take care of this issue and fix it?

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:53 am

sad ham wrote:
Stauffenberg wrote:I suspect this has something to do with Axis submarine units since subs can now decide to be hiding instead of ambushing enemy units moving over them. If you hide and an enemy naval unit ends a turn in the same hex as the sub then the sub is moved to an adjacent empty sea hex. I wonder if this isn't happening properly for AI games so you end up with 2 units in the same hex. When the code then wants to move the Axis AI sub it can't select it because an Allied unit is in the same hex too.

Hello Stauffenberg. I don't know if you have received my file, by the way I agree with you. The bug is related to the AI subs.
Who can take care of this issue and fix it?
+1

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:15 pm

So there is no point in playing as the allies vs axis AI in vs 3.1, due to lockup issue (whether due to sub AI or other reason), correct? Or are others able to play as Allies vs AI? Any progress on a solution?

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”