Error msg that I need to be admin to save settings.txt

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Marcus06
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Error msg that I need to be admin to save settings.txt

Post by Marcus06 »

Hi, I'm trying to edit the GS 400 settings.txt file. Everything is fine until I try to save the file with changes. then I get error message that I must be administrator to do that. I have tried every which way to do it as administrator, but no go. I am signed on to Win 10 (with automatic updates), and I have done the thing with right click on CEAW icon, then go to properties, etc etc. I just can't seem to get past that error message, and therefore cannot make the desired changes.
Can you give me suggestions on how to save that file with my changes. Thanks
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Error msg that I need to be admin to save settings.txt

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

This file is not supposed to be protected. Have you tried to right click on the file and check that write protection is off. I guess you're trying to edit the file where the software is installed (for me it's D:\games\Commander-Europe-at-war\ and not in the user file folders. Most of the settings in this file can be updated by the program in the Options menu. The settings you pick will be stored there.

The settings file in the user file folder might have to be removed. The user folder is:
C:\Users\<UserID>\OneDrive\Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy 4.00

Usually when I have issues on my computer it's because UAC (User Access Control) is set too high. If you install the program on your own PC then you should be a local administrator. However, on some company PC's then users are only granted user access. Then they can't easily install software. Have you checked that your user id is registered as an administrator on the PC?

I can send you a working GS 400 settings.txt file on email if you PM me your email address.
Marcus06

Re: Error msg that I need to be admin to save settings.txt

Post by Marcus06 »

Yes! That worked, I can't believe I had overlooked the write protection; always amazing how something seemingly simple can seem so difficult. Thanks much for your help.
Mark

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”