AAR - modified scenario Obedience to Orders - Spoilers

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

AAR - modified scenario Obedience to Orders - Spoilers

Post by fsx » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Abstract

I would like to present an After Action Report of one of my modified scenarios. I chosed "Obedience to Orders".
Sorry, but my English is poor. If someone would help me and would write the text, let me know.

If you want to play a beta-version of the modified scenarios, please look at this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=326&t=55332
Here you will find the download and a "how to" for installation and how to start the modified scenarios (in a campaign).

First analysis and deployment

At first we have the Mission objectives:
orders.jpg
orders.jpg (113.99 KiB) Viewed 5684 times

The communication officer gives additional informations:
intell.jpg
intell.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 5684 times
Lets take a look at the map.
map.jpg
map.jpg (300.7 KiB) Viewed 5684 times
We see the areas mentioned in the briefings in north-east and south-west, the Victory Hex, the hex-fields with flags and the deploy fields.
Lets find a strategy for this scenario.
titan.jpg
titan.jpg (104.16 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
The Steel Hammer is covered in a ruin. It is not allowed to move his unit before we killed all enemy units in this area. Another way to free this area is to force the enemies to move.
The Titan has very strong and long ranged weapons. He could help to clear the area, if we could place a unit with high spotting in the region.
--> We should place our Salamander Scout in the north. Perhaps he could move to the east and avoid enemies. Because we have only six turns to clear the district, we should place most of our units in a way that they help to fulfill this order. I expect enemy forces on the way to the east.

I will place two of my three Basilisks in the south of the deploy area. Perhaps they could support the other units in the first turn(s). We need a unit with high spotting value in this sector too. I have to use my Sentinel. Some other units (one infantery and a tank) should protect the Basilisks.
deploy.jpg
deploy.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
To reach the secondary objective, I have to capture all hex-fields with flags and four of them with my unique "Your Company Command" unit. Lets try to reach the flag in the middle of the map first and lets look in wich direction we will move afterwards. I guess this unit will move to the flag in the east and next to the double-flag southwards.
second.jpg
second.jpg (124.73 KiB) Viewed 5674 times

to be continued......

nexusno2000
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: AAR - modified scenario Obedience to Orders - Spoilers

Post by nexusno2000 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:39 pm

You're awarded 1000 req; to what end might I ask? Since they don't carry over into the next scenario it seems kind of pointless (not your fault of course, just a feature of the game).
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:49 pm

nexusno2000 wrote:You're awarded 1000 req; to what end might I ask? Since they don't carry over into the next scenario it seems kind of pointless (not your fault of course, just a feature of the game).
As you see in the tread at viewtopic.php?f=326&t=55332 I try to modify one scenario after another. Now, you could play (a beta version) the first 5 scenarios from the 1st campaign.

Another topic is, that unit actions dont work now in WH40K. I would use these actions with the special Company Command unit.
If you have some ideas for reward, let me know. What do you think about changing number of turns or the number of core slots (This will be lost in the next scenario in a campaign!), a free unit ... ?

nexusno2000

Post by nexusno2000 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:53 pm

fsx wrote:
nexusno2000 wrote:You're awarded 1000 req; to what end might I ask? Since they don't carry over into the next scenario it seems kind of pointless (not your fault of course, just a feature of the game).
As you see in the tread at viewtopic.php?f=326&t=55332 I try to modify one scenario after another. Now, you could play (a beta version) the first 5 scenarios from the 1st campaign.

Another topic is, that unit actions dont work now in WH40K. I would use these actions with the special Company Command unit.
If you have some ideas for reward, let me know. What do you think about changing number of turns or the number of core slots (This will be lost in the next scenario in a campaign!), a free unit ... ?
You're altering more scenarios? I'll give them a try...

The problem of extra requisition still persists, however. AFAIK there is no way to script in a what-if-I-got-extra-req-last-mission. The scenario req is the final word. Or do you have a working solution?

Getting requisition in-scenario could be useful if you got if fairly early, as you could use it for replacements. Say, take one objective hex, get 250 req, instead of needing all of them for the whole pool. That way you could use all your req to start with, but have a way of getting replacements. Caveat: only relevant if the scenarios is challenging enough to make you need more req.

I have one other idea: I really wish there was a bigger gap between available req and number of unit slots. If there were you could play the game in more fashions than one; you could go for a lot of cheap infantry units, just a few high-value ones, or a mix. Especially from the start of Act 2 this would be super-relevant: do you disband and buy ultrasmurf tanks and bloodangel assault inf, or do you keep you weaker, but experienced low-cost unit and just add a few elites to your roster? I think that would add some depth.

Now to the point: if you could get extra req in-scenario (like in this one you've made) there are even more options. Maybe you can't afford to fill all your slots at start, but once you complete those secondary objectives you get that extra req. Do you use it for reinforcements or new units?
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Turn 1

First, we look in the south-west.
There is a Warbuggy with a spotting value of 4. We must kill this unit, because it will be the eyes of the announced cannons.
turn01_south.jpg
turn01_south.jpg (136.41 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
turn01_warbuggy.jpg
turn01_warbuggy.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
After this task we step ahead (a little bit) and we see the first cannon.
turn01_cannon_south.jpg
turn01_cannon_south.jpg (150.4 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
In the north I try to move to east. It would be great, if I could kill all enemy units spotting my units.
Many enemy units have a spotting range of 2.
turn01_distance.jpg
turn01_distance.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
turn01_kill.jpg
turn01_kill.jpg (167.86 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
After this kill no enemies see me.

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:08 pm

nexusno2000 wrote: You're altering more scenarios? I'll give them a try...

The problem of extra requisition still persists, however. AFAIK there is no way to script in a what-if-I-got-extra-req-last-mission. The scenario req is the final word. Or do you have a working solution?

Getting requisition in-scenario could be useful if you got if fairly early, as you could use it for replacements. Say, take one objective hex, get 250 req, instead of needing all of them for the whole pool. That way you could use all your req to start with, but have a way of getting replacements. Caveat: only relevant if the scenarios is challenging enough to make you need more req.

I have one other idea: I really wish there was a bigger gap between available req and number of unit slots. If there were you could play the game in more fashions than one; you could go for a lot of cheap infantry units, just a few high-value ones, or a mix. Especially from the start of Act 2 this would be super-relevant: do you disband and buy ultrasmurf tanks and bloodangel assault inf, or do you keep you weaker, but experienced low-cost unit and just add a few elites to your roster? I think that would add some depth.

Now to the point: if you could get extra req in-scenario (like in this one you've made) there are even more options. Maybe you can't afford to fill all your slots at start, but once you complete those secondary objectives you get that extra req. Do you use it for reinforcements or new units?
You are right if you play a scenario. Requisition points at the end are (near) useless. It works in campaigns.
In a single scenario I would add core slots or additional units triggered in the map.
Or, if the unit action works, to add experience or give replacements during the scenario.

The additional points I use in / before the next scenario in the campaign to buy / update.

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Turn 2

Dte Deff Dread is an inveterate foe.
turn02_attackDeff.jpg
turn02_attackDeff.jpg (157.27 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
And we have bad luck as a unit moves aside the Deff Dread.
turn02_bad_luck.jpg
turn02_bad_luck.jpg (175.42 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
In the south are some more enemy units.
turn02_more_long_ranged_south.jpg
turn02_more_long_ranged_south.jpg (202.69 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
Turn 3

Clearing the north is in progress.
turn03_clearing_north.jpg
turn03_clearing_north.jpg (233.81 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
Turn 4

My Rough Riders are gone, but now attacks Steel Hammer with his weapons.
turn04_kaval_killed_titan_attacks.jpg
turn04_kaval_killed_titan_attacks.jpg (83.7 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
Turn 5

These two units should be killed in this turn.
Only one turn left!
turn05_north.jpg
turn05_north.jpg (87.48 KiB) Viewed 5593 times

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Turn 6

The last turn for the first task.
I have to move my special unit in a transport to drain the last hitpoints from the Deff Dread.
turn06_north_attack_2.jpg
turn06_north_attack_2.jpg (98.82 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
After killing this unit, the Titan is liberated.
Yes, I must rewrite this message (delete the second part).
turn06_go.jpg
turn06_go.jpg (100.05 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
In the south a Warbuggy disturbs the termination of the cannons.
turn06_south_attention.jpg
turn06_south_attention.jpg (98.31 KiB) Viewed 5592 times

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Turn 7

The next task is to capture the city in the center.
turn07_city_middle.jpg
turn07_city_middle.jpg (82.14 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
Turn 8

The Titan moves.
turn08_city_middle.jpg
turn08_city_middle.jpg (83.85 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
Why this? If the Steel Hammer steps into a trap, you could move the other units away from the dangerous zone.
turn08_attention.jpg
turn08_attention.jpg (71.07 KiB) Viewed 5586 times

Turn 9

The 1st Victory Hex is captured.
turn09_vh1.jpg
turn09_vh1.jpg (80.86 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
Now, I should make a break.
turn09_stop.jpg
turn09_stop.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
The situation in the south.
turn09_south.jpg
turn09_south.jpg (168.66 KiB) Viewed 5586 times

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:50 pm

Turn 10

Now we could attack with Steel Hammer.
turn10_spot.jpg
turn10_spot.jpg (144.08 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
Turn 12

The Company Command had captured the 2nd hex and moves now to the other two.
turn12_spot.jpg
turn12_spot.jpg (153.72 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
Turn 14

My Salamander Scout detect strong enemy forces. I stop some hexes away.
turn14_att.jpg
turn14_att.jpg (147.13 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
My Company Command captures the 3rd Victory Hex
turn14_middle.jpg
turn14_middle.jpg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
Last battles in the south.
turn14_south.jpg
turn14_south.jpg (109.63 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
Turn 15

The Titan moves first. A trap!
turn15_ene.jpg
turn15_ene.jpg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
The last hexes with flags are mine.
turn15_middle.jpg
turn15_middle.jpg (88.43 KiB) Viewed 5584 times
turn15_south.jpg
turn15_south.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 5584 times

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Turn 16

The Titan captures the Victory Hex. The secondary objectives are reached.
turn16_vh.jpg
turn16_vh.jpg (91.82 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
The player won the scenario. If he had not captured some other flag-hexes, he could do it now. As long as Steel Hammer is alive, the scenario goes on.
turn16_win.jpg
turn16_win.jpg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
The map after the victory
turn17_end.jpg
turn17_end.jpg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 5583 times

Return to “Warhammer AAR”