A.I. issue

thedudeabidez
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

A.I. issue

Post by thedudeabidez » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 am

Hi,

Excellent game, so I don't mean to seem like I'm complaining, just found something I thought you might appreciate being informed of...

Situation: Meuse scenario, mid-day, I'm playing the Axis, Allied A.I. is Monty. At this point it's clear the Axis cannot reach the Meuse. The Axis attacked into Bastogne with 2 inf. and 1 armor against two Allied armored units defending; the defenders survived, so the Allies were assured a draw.

Now one move later the Monty A.I. withdrew both armored units from Bastogne, giving the Axis an undeserved win. My guess is the A.I. was playing with an eye towards long-term positions in the full-length scenario, but this being the short one, it meant an Axis win. Not that I minded picking up a win -the A.I. is tough! But still, there may be some tweaks required to the AI to recognise priorities in the short game.

Anyway, great game, keep up the good work.

Pat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: A.I. issue

Post by Pat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks for letting us know. We had something similar a few months back which was succesfully addressed and never reocurred so its interesting that there's a new case of it. I'll let the team know.

It's worth noting that sometimes it's best reported from within the game: tap-tap-hold on the dials under Undo, and send a bug report (it'll include a saved game that should allow us to reproduce it).
-------------------------------------------
Pat Ward
Art Director - the Shenandoah Studio

jeffd
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jeffd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm

We definitely did have this issue in the past, thought it was licked but apparently it's resurfaced. The Monty AI is trying to stop a German win, but you're right that it shouldn't give up a draw in doing so. We'll take a look.

mgardner
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by mgardner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Just to toss in another sighting: I saw the same issue on my first play of this scenario, also vs Monty, also resulted in a draw I did not deserve.

jeffd
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jeffd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:20 pm

OK, thanks guys. Sounds like we need to open up the hood and have a look.

thedudeabidez

Post by thedudeabidez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:34 am

Good luck with that! I will say I've only seen it once in 8 games now...

Pitta
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Pitta » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:18 pm

I had a similar 'bug'/weird opponent decisions in a full campaign game.
I reported it via the submit bug feature in the game, but I'll describe it here nonetheless.

I was able to win the campaign with the fast victory condition, having a unit after the Meuse at 19, dusk with a clear path to the east.

The strange thing was that said unit was there since the 18, and for all the 19 Monty tried to cut my supply line off, but he never tried to actually attack the unit, despite having much more firepower than me in that sector.
I was expecting an attack at every turn, which never came...so I won...but I was sure I would have lost.
On top of that...having destroyed almost all allied units BAR 3 elite divisions that could have attacked my winning one on the Meuse, Monty passed half the 19 turns.
The only thing 'particular' was that I surrounded the 3 units on 3 sides, the 4 being the upper side of the map....not sure if that hampered their movement (maybe I missed some rule?).

Anyway I won, so I won't complain :)

Certain Death

Post by Certain Death » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm

I had the same problem, and gained an underserved draw, but otherwise no minor issues like this

Return to “Shenandoah General Discussion Forum”