Human Axis Ignoring VPs

Discuss Crisis in Command Volume II: Drive on Moscow. Designed by Ted Raicer
Buzzard
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Human Axis Ignoring VPs

Post by Buzzard » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 pm

In two recent campaign games my human Axis opponents have ignored critical VP locations they could easily have taken, particularly of note is Bryansk. In both cases they lost the campaigns but neither played incompetently in other ways and in one game I nearly lost Moscow for a while.

In the other game it seemed the player was deliberately leaving my trapped Soviet armies to avoid me rebuilding them and just living with the fuel loss this caused.

Has anyone else either come across or used this tactic successfully? I just think avoiding the reoccurring VP locations is insane but maybe I will be proved wrong! Is it a point of honour form some players to only go for Moscow?

Anon21
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Human Axis Ignoring VPs

Post by Anon21 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:04 pm

The bypassing armies strategy in general may have something to recommend it. (Personally, I don't employ it. Too much chance of it wrecking a carefully-planned attack during the frost phase.) But it's ludicrous as applied to the VP per turn spaces. Unless you actually succeed in capturing Moscow--and a competent Soviet player won't let you--you have to win the game on points, which means capturing at least three VP per turn spaces early and holding them until the end of the frost phase. Anyone who leaves Soviet units in Bryansk to "wither on the vine" until turn 8 or later is setting themselves up to fail.

Return to “Drive On Moscow”