So how is the AI on this ?

Discuss Crisis in Command Volume II: Drive on Moscow. Designed by Ted Raicer
AP514
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

So how is the AI on this ?

Post by AP514 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:26 pm

The Title says it all............I am looking for a game I can play while I have some down time at work.
No Internet at work so I will be playing the AI.

elmo3
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: So how is the AI on this ?

Post by elmo3 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:43 pm

I've played the Typhoon scenario twice so far as the Axis against the "casual" rated Soviet AI and never came close to a win or a draw. Some of it is the AI playing well and some of it, IMHO, is the scenario appearing to be unbalanced in favor of the Soviets. Perhaps that last part is unfair since I've only played it twice, but I played and lot of Bulge and understand the game mechanics so I don't think it's a case of L2P. Maybe there is a trick to it I'm not seeing.

Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:27 am

Much more a puzzle game with a wargame wrapper around it. Not bad for a $10 port.

RodyMetal
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by RodyMetal » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:39 am

I agree, it is more puzzle like, add to that the randomness in combat that lead to winning or utter defeat, so the quality of AI has no much role (I am talking about operation Typhoon did not try the others yet). However, it is still very enjoyable game for its price.

elmo3

Post by elmo3 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:39 pm

Played Typhoon twice as the Soviets. Once against the casual Axis AI and once against the better AI. The former got 7 points and the latter got 9. Both were Axis losses although the better AI did play a better game. Based on my limited play I'd say Typhoon is a good training scenario but unbalanced in favor of the Soviets, unless of course you play some uber Axis player. :) The results are within reason historically, and it is a historical wargame after all, so I'm not complaining. All of my games have been fun so far and might have played out differently with a few different dice rolls.

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:46 pm

For me, War in the East is too much, except the smallest scenarios, and this one too simple to create a sense of immersion. Decisive Battles Case Blue by Matrix comes closer to the "ideal" but is also a bit on the counter-heavy side. My first wargame was Chris Crawford's Eastern Front (1982?) and I was spellbound.

Wondering if Drive on Moscow has any room to maneuver, as the map looks pretty compact. I did buy the Bulge game a while back, and options seemed limited.

AP514
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by AP514 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:23 am

I pulled the trigger and like the game.... Very challenging. But A few Killer Bugs ATM..
#1 is units being able to move out of a combat (contested hex) 3 hexes on Rail :(

RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:21 am

RodyMetal wrote:I agree, it is more puzzle like, add to that the randomness in combat that lead to winning or utter defeat, so the quality of AI has no much role (I am talking about operation Typhoon did not try the others yet). However, it is still very enjoyable game for its price.
Actually, after playing the full Drive on Moscow scenario, the many turns doesn't make the game feels random and actually depends more on proper operational planning, the victory requirement for the Typhoon scenario need to be reduced, it got many new player frustrated thinking this is the easiest (since its shortest) scenario.
I dont think I even can win it ever.

Return to “Drive On Moscow”