Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: Ottoman team event : Round 3

Post by GDod » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:47 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:35 am
GDod wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:49 am
Congratulations GrayMouser. I would imagine it won't be long before the Order of Saint Andrew the Apostle the First-Called is on its way from our imperial Majesty. Hussar!
As long as Olga Kurylenko delivers it!
I think you may have to rely on her great.....great.....etc grandmother who is probably to be found at the nearest Ukrainian Banya!

Nosy_Rat
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Nosy_Rat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:11 pm

More good news for the Ottomans - Russian army under voevoda Smjohnson has been defeated 40-12.

Battle started with a massive attack from the Russian cavalry, both traditional and pistol-armed, in a very deep but narrow formation on my right flank. However I had just enough time to bring my own cavalry reinforcements there and reform troops in a wider formation, so they were able to concentrate fire and, in combination with artillery barrage, disrupt the first line of the attackers. Once disrupted, they were cut down by sipahis and panic spread further among the Russian cavalry.

In the center janissaries with even more artillery and some cavalry in support engaged Russian musketeers and P&S units in a pretty straightforward shooting match and were victorious, though cavalry took heavy losses from musket and artillery fire and was mostly routed. On the left things were more or less inconclusive, as my cavalry and lights foot chased equally-numbered cossacks around.

ahuyton
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ahuyton » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Nosy_Rat wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:11 pm
More good news for the Ottomans - Russian army under voevoda Smjohnson has been defeated 40-12.

Battle started with a massive attack from the Russian cavalry, both traditional and pistol-armed, in a very deep but narrow formation on my right flank. However I had just enough time to bring my own cavalry reinforcements there and reform troops in a wider formation, so they were able to concentrate fire and, in combination with artillery barrage, disrupt the first line of the attackers. Once disrupted, they were cut down by sipahis and panic spread further among the Russian cavalry.

In the center janissaries with even more artillery and some cavalry in support engaged Russian musketeers and P&S units in a pretty straightforward shooting match and were victorious, though cavalry took heavy losses from musket and artillery fire and was mostly routed. On the left things were more or less inconclusive, as my cavalry and lights foot chased equally-numbered cossacks around.
Nice result, NR. Of course you are one of the top players but well done as I am hearing that it is very difficult for the Ottomans to prevail in this match-up. Commiserations to your opponent of course.

KiwiWarlord
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by KiwiWarlord » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:51 am

The Ottoman Empire is most grateful for the skills of Beys Nosy Rat & Alan. Well done.

GentlemanRanker
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by GentlemanRanker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:30 pm

Bloodbath in the Crimea – GentlemanRanker’s Ottoman Turks defeat TomoeGozens’s Russians: 42 – 61.

The map consisted of a large central bowl, with plenty of forest cover and rough ground for both armies on the adjacent high ground. The Ottoman infantry drew up on the lip of the bowl, with the artillery well sited on a large central hill. The Timariot Sipahis lined rough ground on the left flank, hoping to slow the Russian Horse, and the Sipahis of the Porte, and light cavalry advanced to a large flat area on the right flank. The Russian infantry drew up on the opposite of the bowl, with their cavalry heavily weighted to the right flank, which was to be the main focus of their assault.

On their left, Russians Musketeers and Pike and Shot advanced, using forest and rough ground to protect themselves, subjecting the Ottoman cavalry to withering fire. This forced the Janissaries to advance into the bowl, in an attempt to take the pressure of their beleaguered cavalry. Janissary firepower, combined with artillery support, began to cause disruptions in the opposing infantry, allowing the Sipahis of the Porte to charge home, for favourable melees, and a respite from being fired upon.

On the Russian right, the Cavalry advanced to challenge the Timariot Sipahis, the two sides were equally matched in quality and numbers, and honours ended pretty much even. The Russian Horse, with strong infantry support, mounted a devastating attack on the weak hinge between the Ottoman infantry front and the cavalry flank, opening up a large and dangerous gap in the Ottoman lines. At this point, the rest of the Russian infantry descended into the bowl to support the anticipated breakthrough. However, with the Russians stalled on the left flank, the remaining Ottoman units rushed down to attack the infantry flank, and a couple of units of the Sipahis of the Porte were able to follow up, virtually unmolested, to take advantage of the ensuing disruptions.

The game could have gone either way; the Russians totally destroyed the Ottoman left flank and centre, and managed to overrun the guns. The Ottomans prevailed on their right flank, and routed all the infantry and Horse that descended into the central bowl. In my opinion, two things just managed to tip the balance in favour of the Ottomans:
1) On the left flank, the losing Ottoman infantry were able to shelter in the forest, and Timariot Sipahis were on rough ground, delaying their inevitable defeat long enough for the Ottomans to win the game elsewhere.
2) The Russians army did not get the full advantage of its guns, they were initially deployed on their right flank, with poor sightline, and they spent much of the game limbered. Had they been centrally located, on the hill opposite the Ottoman guns, the additional cohesion malus might well have caused the infantry firefight to turn out very differently.

Thanks to TomoeGozen for a good game, the result was in doubt right until the last couple of moves.

KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:42 pm

Excellent effort by you and your army GR. A massive banquet for you and your boys on your return to Constantinople.
If only my Sipahis & Janissarries were doing as well as yours.

TomoeGozen
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by TomoeGozen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks to GentlemanRanker for a great game and a nice report ☺
I did indeed seriously cock up where I put my artillery 😁

SnuggleBunnies
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:11 pm

SnuggleBunnies (Russian) defeats gribol (Ottoman) 51-23

GG. The Russian right wing cavalry won the day, while the infantry center fought a delaying action around a forest and marsh, and a combined arms assault on the left was repulsed with heavy casualties by combined archery and musketry from Ottoman infantry.

I'll post a link to the video in a weekish when it goes up on the YouTubes.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

ahuyton
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ahuyton » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 am

Here is a round-up of the results so far.

Ottoman victories

GentlemanRanker v Tomoegozen (Russian)
Nosy_Rat v SMJohnso77 (Russian)
Sedo v Pancalvus (Transylvanian)
ahuyton v Awesum4 (Wallachian)

Enemies victories

Snugglebunnies (Russian) v Gribol
TheGreyMouser (Russian) v Veles

Not yet decided

Kiwiwarlord v Gdod
Dang v Cromlechi (Venetian Colonial)
Kerry D v Snooky51

So the Ottoman threat to Western Europe is expanding northwards as the Russian armies can only just hold their own.

awesum4
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by awesum4 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:59 am

Kerry D defeated Snooky51 but I cannot confirm the %.

SnuggleBunnies
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm

SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”