The eternal battle - English v Scottish - Round One

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs, rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

KiwiWarlord
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: The eternal battle - English v Scottish - Round One

Post by KiwiWarlord » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:05 am

lascar wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:32 am
Lascar (Scots) Vs Warror 230 (Englsih) 44 to 7. Scots victorious.
Brilliant result lascar.
The Deeds of your new castle are enroute by Royal Messenger.
Brian the Bruce
Broughty Castle.jpg
Broughty Castle.jpg (66.47 KiB) Viewed 450 times
Last edited by KiwiWarlord on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

GDod
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by GDod » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 am

lascar wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:32 am

If the English want to defeat the Scots they will have to reorganize their army along new lines.
Perhaps we could call it ..."The New Model army!"
Lets form a committee.jpg
Lets form a committee.jpg (18.57 KiB) Viewed 439 times
"...now to the issue of my suggestion for army issue cod-pieces, pantaloons and stockings,which are not only eye-catching but fashionable."

warrior230
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by warrior230 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:37 am

Well, an atrocious start for the English, but, being the more civilized, we can take that on the chin!
Re organisation is well underway as we speak, including Gdod's suggestion above, which will provide us with ample protection from the Scottish midges!
Looking forward to round 2, and well played to Lascar:)

snooky51
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by snooky51 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:24 am

Sir Kiwi, Lord of War we have routed the English from sacred Scottish soil by a score of 41%-15%

We achieved a major breakthrough through through some swamplands and the surrounding ground on the English right. Other local victories sent those southerners to flight. My trusted squire has sent me the following sketch of the battle as he saw it:
https://ibb.co/p4MW6YL

KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:02 am

snooky51 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:24 am
Sir Kiwi, Lord of War we have routed the English from sacred Scottish soil by a score of 41%-15%
Weel dane Snooky, another ginormous victory over the Sassenachs thanks to a stoatin sleekit manoeuvre through the marshes.
A Band of Border Reivers has been assigned as your personal bodyguard, they may be very useful in the near future.
Brian the Bruce
Scottish Border Reivers.jpg
Scottish Border Reivers.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 392 times

GDod
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by GDod » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:44 pm

Just an update between Alex and myself.

The Scottish seemed to have the battle in the bag for most of the game but the English have now found a local tavern still selling warm ale. Now they're determined to hang around. The battle stands at 52-44 in favour of the now ale-sodden English who don't seem to want to give up (or maybe just can't find their way home)...

Hopefully we'll wrap this round up either way very soon.
Cheers.png
Cheers.png (66.59 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Are you sure this isn't an apothecary? This tastes like p....

GDod
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by GDod » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:13 am

I'm pleased to report a rare victory for English arms thanks to the sterling work done by our mercenary pike against their Scottish counterparts.

The battle has been won at 62-46 in favour of the ale-sodden English. Alex's Scottish had heard that a single malt was more desirable than continuing deeper into English territory with only the prospect of warm ale.

16 shiny cannon are now en route to our arsenal. Roast Beef for everyone...except all those peasants and yeomen that ran away at the first sight of hairy legged claymore welding Scotsmen!

God Save our King Harry

awesum4
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by awesum4 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:58 pm

Well played Sir Gavin, a beacon of hope in our hour of darkness.

My game against Fybbyn is in the balance. He attacked with the highlanders in the lead and his pike in checkboard formation rather than a solid line (he must have been reading ancient Roman military manuals), so our horse and pike have done stirling work against the breechless hordes, but his pike are now in and slaughtering billmen and bowmen

awesum4

Post by awesum4 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:51 pm

We have saved England from the Scottish hordes led by Fybyyn 53% to 62% in a very hard fought battle.

On a rather flat and clear battlefield the Scottish highlanders decided to rush at us which allowed our longbows to devestate them and our cavalry to charge home. But our initial advantage started to crumble when the Scottish shilltrons engaged. There heroic actions performed on both sides but in the end we prevailed by the slimmest of margins.

A fun game, against a great opponent.

GDod
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by GDod » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:14 am

Hurrah and long live Awesum King Harry.

Our beacon of hope has burst into a flame of mighty mixed metaphors. The uncouth Scots will rue the day they defied your shining majesty. Let them shiver in your shadow seeking solace in a hastily opened sea of unaged whiskey. The wailing of their hens and bairns will be heard as far away as London.

ahuyton
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by ahuyton » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:47 pm

We are just waiting for the Kiwiwarlord v Gribol result, then we can move to Round Two.

KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:03 am

Round 1 KiwiWarlord (Brian the Bruce ) Scots 46%, Gribol English 60 % Win to the Scots

A very hard fought battle lasting a great number of turns with both sides have success & failures along the way with the lead changing several times.
Most of the battle was fought over the hills & woods you see in the screen print with Gribol ( the Master Tactician that he is ) making excellent use of the woods from which the English archers caused many problems for the Scots. The Scots advanced warily whilst making good use of their Heavy & Medium artillery positioned on a hill in the Scottish rear, & Light Artillery supporting the Keils. The Scottish advance was rather haphazard as many of the English were not visible. The Highlanders began the assault on various parts of the woods as the Scottish Keils & Cavalry gave support as did the Scottish heavy guns on the hill to the rear.
The English had inflicted many casualties on the Scots causing the Scottish advance to founder. The English counter attacked with their Landsknecht Keils, Bill & Bow, Cavalry & Bowmen and broke the Scottish Left. They were chasing them to the edge of the field by the end.
Meanwhile the Scots finally got the better of the English in and around the woods, there some notable actions by the English in defence due to the skills of Gribol. One such action was a Light Lancer unit about to charge a disrupted Highlander unit in the rear but became surrounded by a couple of Keils, one of which was fragged, and a couple more Highlanders. I didn't charge it with the one Highlander unit that was capable as I thought it would evade & within a few turns take out my artillery battery. I thought it would remain ZoCed by the fragged Keil and not have much movement available. What a shock I received next turn, the English Light lancers had somehow managed to turn and charge the fragged Keil & routed it !!!!
I thought that it was game over very soon but the Light Horse became entangled in the pursuit and was jumped upon by three Scottish units and routed along with a couple of other units near by.
One very tough encounter against a very skilled General. Be warned snooky 51, he is heading your way with a new English army !!!
rsz_round1_v_gribol.png
rsz_round1_v_gribol.png (756.45 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”