7 Years War - Round 3, Soor 1745

Post by ahuyton »

Here are the match-ups:

(Prussian v Austrian)

Awesum4 v Tomoegozen
Dang* v Marl_Boroman
Snooky51 v Gdod
SMJohnso77 v Cromlechi

* If Dang does not play I can take his place (unless there are other volunteers).

Prussians, please launch the games. Let me know if there are any difficulties, absent players etc
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: 7 Years War - Round 3, Soor 1745

Post by awesum4 »

Battle set up for Tomoegozen, password soor
TomoeGozen
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by TomoeGozen »

Challenge accepted.
Hopefully the weather is better in this one...oh wait ... :-(
gribol
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by gribol »

ahuyton wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 am
* If Dang does not play I can take his place (unless there are other volunteers).
I can be a Prussian mercenary this turn, if there is still a free place.
Marl_Boroman
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Marl_Boroman »

gribol wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:07 am
I guess the offer is still valid. Feel free to set up the game, I´m itching for a fight! :wink:
gribol

Post by gribol »

Marl_Boroman wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:47 pm
gribol wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:07 am
I guess the offer is still valid. Feel free to set up the game, I´m itching for a fight! :wink:
I saw, that Dang create a battle, so i dont want to disturb.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

awesum4 beat Tomoegozen by 40% to 15%...the exact minimum needed to win the game.

This is a very hard battle for the Austrians to win against a determined Prussian player.
I've played this a number of times and assaulted the hill with every unit I could muster combining artillery, infantry and cavalry without regard to our casualties. Tomoegozen has never played it and therefore fought hard from the start rather than withdraw his frontline troops so his reinforcements could arrive. The inevitable happened and he was swamped.

thanks for the game,
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

We intercepted a message from Dang, as follows

--
Prussia prevails again,

Borussia foreva!

The stout Marl_Boroman tried to claim home advantage for the Battlefield being about 15.000 km closer to his home than to mine.... but to no avail. When the Prussian long line came out of the dawn the Austrians shivered in their much too short pants.

The Austrians tried to match the Prussian line using their artillery to fill the gaps, (well, leaving it where it was and lining up with it) when the Prussians came within close quarters the Austrians reached for their Bajonetts but the Artillerists found they had none... ouch. That was the first flag overrun and different to the Prussians the Austrians had no second line....

The Prussian Curassiers of the Prussian left flank went straight for the other flag found some weak under-average Austrians trying to get in line, got them disrupted by the fire of the accompanying Dragoons, attacked, broke them, in pursuit overran the artillery behind and the flag.... With 2 holes in it the Austrian line wavered, got outflanked, but with both flags lost the Austrian Field Mechanic (Mandarine, Orange, Mirminidon... whatever) threw in a (very dirty) towel and the Prussians where gracious to accept the fast victory and avoided shedding more Austrian (Bohemian, Hungarian, Croat, Italian, whatever) blood.

The Graner Koppe shall henceforth be Prussian foreva (Czech Republica? never heard of!)

XO

T. Dangius, Master Scribe of the Prussian King and Savior of the Universe
Soor, dasselbst.
Marl_Boroman

Post by Marl_Boroman »

When I joined up all they were talking was shooting prussians. How was I supposed to know the flags were so important?
Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Cronos09 »

Marl_Boroman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 pm When I joined up all they were talking was shooting prussians. How was I supposed to know the flags were so important?
In the victory conditions for the Austrian side the following is stated:
"Object - Stop the Prussians from capturing two flags on the Graner-Koppe and holding it for 1 turn, and Rout the enemy army by:..."
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Marl_Boroman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 pm When I joined up all they were talking was shooting prussians. How was I supposed to know the flags were so important?
Sorry about this, MB, we could have explained it so that there was no misunderstanding. Frustrating for you.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

ahuyton wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:49 am We intercepted a message from Dang, as follows

The Graner Koppe shall henceforth be Prussian foreva (Czech Republica? never heard of!)

T. Dangius, Master Scribe of the Prussian King and Savior of the Universe
Soor, dasselbst.
We don't want to be a Soor loser but as they say where we come from: it's not over until the Fat Austrian sings!

The universe is a big place and in another neck of the woods the Graner Koppe may still be Austrian (for how long is another story!)
Prussians everywhere.jpg
Prussians everywhere.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
dang

Post by dang »

I found this forum, how awesum is that! ;-)

I see, my message was allready posted.

If there is a flag, always read the victory conditions. Sorry for not having mentioned it, I usually try to help with information so we both have the same start.

Pulling back to wait for reinforcements as Andre wrote, imho does not work for the Austrians as they start on the flags. This is a rare occasion where you can not give up land as the Prussians only need to hold both flags for 1 turn to win the scenario. I dont know if the Austrians can limber up their front artillery (I remember they cant limber the ones further back), but one important thing would be to get the artillery off the flags, because they cant defend themselves in this scenario sadly. If that is not possible, you have to get Infantry in front of them at all cost. The Austrian can afford to loose his whole front line, but not the flags.
Else, I feel (having played the scenario 3 times now, from both sides) that the Austrians can not defend both flags against a determined Prussian who has played the scenario before. I think the Austrians have to give up one flag and use all available troops to defend the other until the bulk of their army marches up. Given the austrian numerical superiority, if the Prussians do not win within the first 10 turns, they are toast.

CU soon

T. Dang. master analytic in the Prussian Kings own Military Academy and historical insitute zu Potsdam
Berlin
Capital of Preussen. Jawoll!
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

dang wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:35 am ... the Austrians can not defend both flags against a determined Prussian who has played the scenario before. I think the Austrians have to give up one flag and use all available troops to defend the other until the bulk of their army marches up....
Is this not pulling back? I pulled the Austrian far-left back, whilst leaving two units on the hill with the guns. I expected to loose, and did loose, the cavalry and these two units. The withdrawn infantry reinforced the infantry streaming into and to the left of Soor. By the time the Prussian right had cleared the Austrian left and turned to flank, the centre was sufficiently stable to hold off attacks and at present is only getting stronger. I firmly believe the two Austrian below average units need to be withdrawn as soon as possible...as in every game they have lowered the morale of all around them as they inevitably rout from fire and/or charge. While my erstwhile opponent attempted to slow the Austrian right right from the start by sending units to oppose, these were by-passed in the main by dragoons and cavalry on a wide sweep and overwhelmed by the forced marching Austrian infantry.

While it is far from over and could still turn to custard, I'm confident that this is the only option the Austrians have in the scenario.
Choiceschoices.jpg
Choiceschoices.jpg (25.4 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Well done, Dang, for finding the forum. We are expecting many posts from you.

It seems that Cromlechi is AWOL so his game with Smjohnso77 may have to be adandoned. However, if you do not all mind waiting I can ask Gribol to step in. Both he and Steve play quickly and reliably.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

No sir! Graner Koppe is also Austrian

Gebhard Leberecht Karl August Ferdinand Hermann Friedrich August Wilhelm von Snooky assaulted the Koppe with determined numerical superiority also without regard to casualties but the wily old Charles Alain József Eugene Konstantin Ghilian Karl Franz Xaver von GDod marshalled his reserves like a nursemaid to wear down the advance and put the Prussians to flight 71 -31.

Snooky's score does not do justice to his continued fierce onslaught that saw our Austrians tremble and fall one after the other from incessant fire and the repetitive charge of Prussian foot. At the same time, their cuirassiers cut down our young inexperienced farm-boys as if they were gathering in the wheat-harvest on a grand estate. Yet, we prevailed thanks to our fresh reserves and determined defense.
Marl_Boroman

Post by Marl_Boroman »

dang wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:35 am I found this forum, how awesum is that! ;-)

I see, my message was allready posted.

If there is a flag, always read the victory conditions. Sorry for not having mentioned it, I usually try to help with information so we both have the same start.

Pulling back to wait for reinforcements as Andre wrote, imho does not work for the Austrians as they start on the flags. This is a rare occasion where you can not give up land as the Prussians only need to hold both flags for 1 turn to win the scenario. I dont know if the Austrians can limber up their front artillery (I remember they cant limber the ones further back), but one important thing would be to get the artillery off the flags, because they cant defend themselves in this scenario sadly. If that is not possible, you have to get Infantry in front of them at all cost. The Austrian can afford to loose his whole front line, but not the flags.
Oh, I guess I can say now, that my attempt for joke was missunderstood. Pehraps I should add some yellow faces behind it :?:

I made serious blunder with defence of main hill but your charge through saxons and qiuck takeover of second flag took me totaly unprepared. My too agressive aproach and lack of proper reserve line cost me victory this time.

But as I said in the game chat: Good game!
I am not complaining about anything, just making jokes on myself :wink:
gribol

Post by gribol »

A gang of scoundrels and outcasts gathered from the darkest corners of Europe, fighting as mercenaries under Gribol's command, this time in the service of Austria, defeated the forced Prussians 47:17.
As you can see, gold can be a better motivator than drill.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Am I correct in thinking that the honours are even with myself and Tilman winning as the Prussians and Gavin and Gribol of the unpronouncable name winning as the Austrians?
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Yes, this round ends in a draw. Well done all. Onto the final...

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”