Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Landsknechts and Prussians - Round Four

Post by ahuyton »

The final game in our team event will be:

(From Le Roi Soleil) - German States 1649-1688 v Austrian 1675-1688
As usual, large armies, wide agricultural terrain, open battle.

German States v Austrian
Kiwiwarlord v Marl_Boroman
AlexdeTrojan v Snooky51
Gdod v Gribol
GentlemanRanker v Tomoegozen
SMJohnso77 v Pancalvus
ahuyton v Snugglebunnies
Warrior230 v Awesum4

Note that Dang and Cromlechi for various good reasons are no longer participating

German States players to launch the games please.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Landsknechts and Prussians - Round Four

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Marl-Bororman challenge posted, password sent by PM
gribol
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by gribol »

Game for Gdod is ready.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Messenger from the Austrian Front reports that Generalleutnant Steve von Johnso77 has beaten the Imperialists in a hard fought battle and is now returning home to Prussia where he will receive the Knights Cross.
the message reads
"The Germans won over the Austrian imperials. My worthy opponent Pancalvus gave me a good battle as he won the cavalry action on the plain and I won the heavy infantry battle over the large hill between our lines."
Result Germans 49 to Austrians 63
Warrior230 Knights Cross.jpg
Warrior230 Knights Cross.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
snooky51

Post by snooky51 »

My Lord, it pains me to have had to put down yet another rebellion of our German brothers. Why can't these princes just accept your Imperial Authority.

By a score of 56-22 the Imperial Army routed the brave German Prince Alex Detrojan. We met on opposite sides of a sunken road, and after a stalemate along the whole line, our superior firepower began to wear the opposing line down. Once the routs started a general advance began and swiftly ended the battle. Based on the superior performance of our late pike and shot, I believe we should abandon pikes all together and have only musketeers in the line from now on.

Heil dem Kaiser!
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

Well done General Snooky.

These Germans are indeed a rebellious bunch, but we will civilise them eventually. They can be very good citizens of the True empire, as they are a methodical hardworking people despite their funny ideas about religion.

One of my counsellors had a silly dream where in the distant future an Austrian painter who had moved to Germany took control of the Government and then took control of Austria in a bloodless invasion, he then attempted to take over most of Europe and vast areas of Russia. The man is obviously quite mad and I've had him committed to an assylum.
snooky51

Post by snooky51 »

awesum4 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:47 pm Well done General Snooky.

These Germans are indeed a rebellious bunch, but we will civilise them eventually. They can be very good citizens of the True empire, as they are a methodical hardworking people despite their funny ideas about religion.

One of my counsellors had a silly dream where in the distant future an Austrian painter who had moved to Germany took control of the Government and then took control of Austria in a bloodless invasion, he then attempted to take over most of Europe and vast areas of Russia. The man is obviously quite mad and I've had him committed to an assylum.
Take over Austria!? A unified Germany?! That man is indeed mad. Could you even imagine a unified German state? They can't even agree on a measurement system but he envisions those numerous principalities and duchies as a single nation? I have never heard of a more ridiculous notion, you did well to separate him from the populace my liege.
gribol

Post by gribol »

Empire strikes back!
Imperial Austrian won over the German rebels, commanded by Gdod, 51 to 21.
They could not withstand our frontal blow, fleeing in panic. Let this be a good warning to any enemy of the Emperor!
TomoeGozen
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by TomoeGozen »

I am pleased to announce that another rebellious German army has been put to flight , albeit at great cost to the Emperors loyal subjects.
The Imperial cavalry on our left were , rather fortunately, just able to withstand the impact of the massed German cavalry long enough for the infantry to win the day. Artillery attacks combined with massed infantry fire forced a gap between the German infantry and cavalry lines allowing Imperial infantry to pour (stagger..) through the gap to attack the Germans in flank and rear. It was a close run thing made possible only by the brave resolve of the Imperial cavalry. Final score 61 - 48 to the Austrians.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

So, well done to Gribol and Tomoegozen for their nice wins! Here is the current situation

Wins for the German states

Smjohnso77

Wins for the Austrians

Gribol
Tomoegozen
Snooky51

Ongoing struggles

Kiwiwarlord v Marl_Boroman
ahuyton v Snugglebunnies
Warrior230 v Awesum4
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies (Austrian) defeats ahuyton (German) 52-18

A very long game of maneuver followed by a sharp clash all along the line. My original plan was to hit hard on the left and hold back on the right; in the end, although my left did attack, it was the right wing that rolled up the German line, with the firepower of the Haiduks playing a key part.

The match will post on 6/23
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm SnuggleBunnies (Austrian) defeats ahuyton (German) 52-18

A very long game of maneuver followed by a sharp clash all along the line. My original plan was to hit hard on the left and hold back on the right; in the end, although my left did attack, it was the right wing that rolled up the German line, with the firepower of the Haiduks playing a key part.

The match will post on 6/23
It was a good game and Snuggles was (unfortunately) at his best, cleverly holding back his Haiduks for the critical moment and exploiting a slight advantage he had on one flank. Very instructive (though I doubt that I will be able to emulate it).
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Awesum4 (Austrian) beat Warrior320 (German) by 28% to 57%.
The battlefield had a medium forest in my forward centre which I occupied with 3 Haiduks and 2 Dragoons, then had a line of pike and shot backed by a single battery and then my cavalry out to my left. Being a military genius I sent 9 units (almost a third of my army) on a flank march on my left flank.
Fortunately Warrior decided the forest was swarming with Haiduks and he sent most of his dragoons on a wide sweep around it. He had 4 batteries of guns on the hill in front of the forest and he pounded my foot while advancing his foot cautiously forward. Some of his cavalry waited behind his foot while others moved to face mine.
I moved several pike and shot in the face of his cavalry and stayed as far back from his infantry as possible. Eventually his dragoons came into the forest to engage the Haiduks who were engaged in a shooting match with his other foot. The cavalry clashed and he had just broken through with a couple of units when to the sound of the William Tell overture my flank march slammed into his flank and rear. My right in the forest collapsed and my centre was almost gone but the flankmarched cavalry rampaged across the battlefield sweeping away everything in their path.
If the flankmarch had arrived a turn later he would almost certainly have won the battle. A good game against a valiant opponent.
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

It was a most enjoyable game, against a tough, experianced opponant, and as he says, we came very near to tipping the balance and taking the field! Had it not been for the sneeky flank march gamble arriving when it did, we would now be rejoycing in Vienna, and enjoying the delights of the wine cellers and tavern wenches!
I must offer my sincere congratulations to awsome4, and thanks again for a great game!
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

So, time to bring this event to a close. The fina tally for this round is:

Wins for the German states

Smjohnso77
Kiwiwarlord (game awarded due to slow play by opponent)

Wins for the Austrians

Gribol
Tomoegozen
Snooky51
Snugglebunnies
Awesum4

So an overwhelming Hapsburg win, as was largely the case throughout. Still, we had some interesting games and new armies to play with, which is in the end the objective.

I hope that everyone enjoyed themselves and thanks to all active players and especially our two team captains, Brian and Andre.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”