The eternal battle - English v Scottish - Round Four, Civil War

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: The eternal battle - English v Scottish - Round Four, Civil War

Post by Doyley50 »

Alas the Covenanters under Kiwi MacWarlord have won the day. He led his troops on to Garlic Hill and trampled so much wild garlic that the heady fumes which were released brought on confusion among my men who were unused to the effects.
Well that's my explanation and I'm sticking to it... Good game thanks Kiwi!
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

Sir Doyley,

do not lament too long or too hard, A similar thing is happening to me, both the Kiwi Macs are solid commanders who suit the Covenantors well.
snooky51
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by snooky51 »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:52 am
snooky51 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:58 am I'm sorry to report that despite having God and the only correct interpretation of scripture on our side, the dastardly English have prevailed.
Snooky the confusion shown by your good self requires some explanation.
Brian the Bruce
Covenanter Court.jpg
We may have indulged ourselves on some barrels of English mild ale we had taken from their supply train prior to battle. Perhaps we celebrated the daring and heroic supply train raid too heavily. But I do maintain it was the deception of English informants who ruined our fight.
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

ahuyton (Montrose) 43% won against Lascar (Covenanters) 73%

A hard fought battle for Garlic Hill, promising many finds for metal detectors in future centuries. It was a very close game until the last turn when Montrose's cavalry prevailed. A good encounter and an interesting little scenario and Dave is always a pleasure to play against, irrespective of the result.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Well done Sir Alan.

I have been waiting for Brian to report on his victory over myself. Knowing Brian would hold his forces close together and mass on Garlic hill I devised a cunning plan where my foot would assemble in the fields before the town and await the arrival of both cavalry forces. The foot would then advance to engage him from the front while the horse swept around him and charged into his rear, ensuring victory.
While the plan sort of worked his clever use of pike and shot to hold and slowly whittle away my units meant I relied heavily on several flank attacks shattering key units. Unfortunately his units didn't shatter and he gained the upper hand. We went from almost even to being massacred in a couple of turns as almost all my units were exhausted.
A good game against a very solid opponent as Brian always is.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

So, a narrow 4-3 victory for Montrose and his assorted Highlanders and Irishmen. Alas, the forces of the Covenanters will prove too strong for him in the end. But little matter as Charles II of England will eventually be reinstated as Monarch, for better or worse and the Scottish nobles, facing financial ruin will accept Union with the English.

But not everyone is content and that takes us to the last battle of this entertaining series; showdown at Culloden. Brian takes on the guise of Bonnie Prince Charlie and Andre will cut a fine figure as the marauding Cumberland determined to put down the rebellion.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

awesum4 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:28 am Well done Sir Alan.
Round 4 Result
KiwiWarlord, Covenanters, 37% defeats Awesum4, Montrose, 75%

Thank you Andre for Posting the game report which was a very good summary, I was somewhat apprehensive to look at the last move hence my delay.

Brian the Bruce
Attachments
Eternal Battle Round 4 V Andre .png
Eternal Battle Round 4 V Andre .png (638.91 KiB) Viewed 602 times

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”