The eternal battle - English v Scottish - Round Five, Culloden

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

The eternal battle - English v Scottish - Round Five, Culloden

Post by ahuyton »

Please make sure that you have downloaded the multiplayer Culloden scenario. Here are the match-ups.

Kiwiwarlord v Warrior230 (w)
Snugglebunnies v Gdod (l)
smjohnso77 v Gribol
Lascar v Awesum4 (w)
snooky51 v Doyley50 (l)
PeterthePainter v ahuyton (w)

I hope that I have not forgotten anybody but please let me know if that is the case.

Kiwiwarlord's team to set up the games please.

Good luck!
Last edited by ahuyton on Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: The eternal battle - English v Scottish - Round Five, Culloden

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

So... I play the redcoats and GDod the Jacobites?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:32 pm So... I play the redcoats and GDod the Jacobites?
Other way round, Snuggles, you are a Bonnie Scot
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

ahuyton wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:41 pm
SnuggleBunnies wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:32 pm So... I play the redcoats and GDod the Jacobites?
Other way round, Snuggles, you are a Bonnie Scot
Of course, how could I forget sitting here in my plaids. Match is up for GDod, pw snuggles
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:17 am
Of course, how could I forget sitting here in my plaids. Match is up for GDod, pw snuggles
To horse. Tally-ho and “double the horn”
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

I would highly recommend watching the 1964 documentary which you can view on youtube by simply typing in Culloden. In black and white and incredibly gritty, and compelling viewing.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

Another item of interest on Youtube is the episode on Culloden from the BBC series "Two Men in a Trench".
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Greetings,

I'm pleased to report that the Jacobite rebels led by the arch-traitor Lascar of Loch Ness have withdrawn from the field of battle on the moor at Culloden. While his loses of 50% to my 25% were not yet enough to ensure victory he had almost no units still in good order after a sustained barrage of musketry combined with artillery ball and grape.
Our steady well ordered advance in line, with our cavalry were held in reserve, proved capable of blunting his fierce Highland charge in most instances.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

ahuyton's English (27% losses) won against PeterthePainter's Scots (55%)

This was a violent tussle, as Bonnie Prince Peter's Scots swept away the English left wing while my disciplined infantry advanced in good 17th Century lines and mercilessly shot away the Highlander's centre and right.

A friendly and pleasant encounter despite the hard fighting!
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

The Highland clearances begin.jpg
The Highland clearances begin.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
Jacobite rebels led by the arch-traitor Lascar of Loch Ness have withdrawn from the field of battle on the moor at Culloden with loses of 50% to 25%
ahuyton's English (27% losses) won against PeterthePainter's Scots (55%)
Warrior230(Hanoverian) defeats KiwiWarlord (Jacobite) 61%-49%
Gribol (Hanover) win with SmJohnso77 (Scots) 49:20
Last edited by KiwiWarlord on Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

ahuyton wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:26 pm ahuyton's English (27% losses) won against PeterthePainter's Scots (55%)

This was a violent tussle, as Bonnie Prince Peter's Scots swept away the English left wing while my disciplined infantry advanced in good 17th Century lines and mercilessly shot away the Highlander's centre and right.

A friendly and pleasant encounter despite the hard fighting!
All true apart from one little fact and I think all that rain during the battle must have affected my opponents eyesight. Bonnie Prince Peter indeed, the only other person who called me Bonnie was my Mum and she was biased!
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

To our Prince Alan Augustus, Duke of Noddyland and the Magic Roundabout

Greetings and salutations

While the day is not yet done, I fear our English have been duped into advancing too far and have paid the price against McSnuggles. Caution should have prevailed but alas,trust in our British superior drill has led us to destruction. Furthermore, other trickery such as putting dwarfs in the front ranks so that our shot sailed harmlessly over their heads was typical of these highland louts!
Highland trickery.png
Highland trickery.png (97.51 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Post-script
It is as I feared. Our line was disordered and our volleys were ineffectual as we could not bring them to bear on single units without turning. While we managed to frag and disorder a few units, the Scots attacked all along the line at once. On impact the Scots caused a few breaks and several disorders. Their pursuers were then in our rear. An uncomfortable position to say the least! While some of our cavalry broke through and turned ready to deliver some of the same, there was little left of the foot on our left and centre.
A brave tactic though Mcsnuggles. Walking units parallel along the front to extend the line was an enlightened but a risky proposition. Admittedly, out of range for the most part. This time it paid off.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies (Jacobites) defeats GDod (Hanoverian) 49-22. GDod intercepted me before I could finish setting up my line for a proper charge, but that move also left his line is less than perfect order. Chaos ensued, and eventually victory for the Jacobites - the rout % hides the fact that most of my army was disrupted or fragmented by the end...

https://youtu.be/dyCbw9YLoa8

KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:07 am SnuggleBunnies (Jacobites) defeats GDod (Hanoverian) 49 - 22
Snooky51 (Jacobites ) defeats Doyley50 ( Hanoverian ) 31 - 58
Bonnie Prince Charlie Victorious at Culloden.jpg
Bonnie Prince Charlie Victorious at Culloden.jpg (65.6 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Last edited by KiwiWarlord on Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

Warrior230(Hanoverian) defeats KiwiWarlord (Jacobite) 61%-49%

Upon this miserable and dismal morning on Culloden Moor, our Hanoverian English forces lead by warrior Augustus, (the great) came upon the un-godly rebels under the command of the fearsome and dreaded warlord “Brian Mc Bruce” from the land of the Kiwi….a frightening and fearsome encounter!
Our lads advanced in a truly professional manor, keeping their powder dry, and in fine formation in order to discharge multiple volleys of concentrated firepower into the screaming hoards. As we advanced across Drummossie Moor, a large number of Mc Bruce’s mob charged unexpectedly from their hiding place at Culchunaig Farm, inflicting fear and disarray across our left flank! This caused a number of our less experienced units to flee in panic, and for a short while we struggled to re gain control. However, seeing the results of our firepower decimating the Jacobean centre, and keeping their left pinned with Cavalry and sustained fire, our fellows charged forwards in true patriotic style to finish the job. What few survivors there were scuttled away to find refuge in the hills.

Many thanks to Brian for an excellent and enjoyable game, very closely fought, it was great fun!

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank Alan for organising what has been a really truly enjoyable and fun event, and to show appreceation for all of the thought and hard work that has gone into it, and also to wish all of the other players a very happy Christmas, and a successfull and healthy new year. We look forward to meeting again in future events.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

I am glad, Paul, that you enjoyed the games. I think this set of battles has been one of the most fun and we owe a lot of thanks to our team captains for that. Giving pre-match advice and then posting comments, images, etc has all created a good atmosphere.

Brian and I are, as usual, working on the next set of games, to start sometime in January. The theme is likely to be 'Revolt!', with rebellious peasants, Dutch uprising against the Spanish etc.

In the meantime, it is 23rd December, so time to wish a happy Christmas to all...

And, if I may, propose that anyone who does not yet have it should buy Sengoku Jidai in the Slitherine sale (probably also in the Steam sale). This is Pike and Shot set in Japan/China/ Korea and it is a superb game. We are also now running regular team events for SJ and they always provide excellent games, with a very different feel to PS.
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

You're absolutely right of course Alan, the team leaders have done such a superb job. The advice and comments, images and so on have added such a lot of fun and interest to the events. it has also provided inspiration to look into and research more about the various periods and battles covered. So well done to all and many thanks.
I will download Sengoku jidai over the holiday and start learning. looking forward to giving it a try.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Brian and I are, as usual, working on the next set of games, to start sometime in January. The theme is likely to be 'Revolt!', with rebellious peasants...
Thanks for all the hard work and enjoyment team. Always a pleasure, never any discontent. Look forward in the new year to my favourite type of peasant...the revolting kind! Best wishes to all your families and friends during the silly season. Be safe.
Darn wargamers.jpg
Darn wargamers.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
snooky51

Post by snooky51 »

Merry Christmas to all, and especially the one true King of Great Britain Charles Stuart whose supporters routed the pretender Hanoverian forces at Culloden by a margin of 58-31.

By hook and by crook, the Scots somehow managed to chain route the entire center of the Hanoverian line and deliver the victory to the House of Stuart.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Greetings,

a slightly belated Merry Christmas to all, thanks for the fun games, and the interesting comments. An especially big thank you to Alan, and a slightly smaller one to Brian

I look forward to the New Year which will bring forth more exciting games, and good friendships.

Regardless of which team I lead, and who is on each team, i'm sure the games will be played in great spirit.

Andre

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”