Revise Australian Commando message?

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Revise Australian Commando message?

Post by bru888 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:53 pm

I hesitated to put this in Tech Support, as it is mostly my opinion and not a technical issue, but the typo in the announcement sentence gives me justification! :)

It's about the new reward of Australian Commandos for the U.S. Pacific Campaign if one also owns Burma Road. It's a bit of a stretch, a bunch of Aussies joining U.S. Core forces from the very beginning of the war, but I can go with it. Heck, as a matter of fact, I can look forward to the additional help (and the challenge of keeping them alive for the whole campaign)!
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (147.28 KiB) Viewed 930 times
What bothers me, though, is the implementation. Just as one starts U.S. Pacific, there is this popup message which contains a typo ("A group of Australian commandos . . ." and needs a period at the end of the sentence) but the message itself is abrupt and jarring.
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (65.15 KiB) Viewed 930 times
The reason I say this is, it's December 7 and the attack on Pearl Harbor is about to begin. Yet, we are notified that this unit has been evacuated from Borneo already while, according to Wikipedia, the Japanese did not begin the attack on Borneo until December 13. Why are they now joining the American forces, anyway?

Fortunately, they cannot get into the scrap at Pearl Harbor due to command point restrictions! They can be deployed in the Philippines, however, which is fine.
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (105.69 KiB) Viewed 930 times
So the request is this: Can we come up with a plausible backstory to show in the popup message? Something like "A group of Australian commandos has arrived for a joint special forces training exercise."
- Bru

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Revise Australian Commando message?

Post by zakblood » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:10 pm

all get read and answered no matter where they go, so it's fine by me, just don't know the answer

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:35 pm

zakblood_slith wrote:all get read and answered no matter where they go, so it's fine by me, just don't know the answer
Thanks. I guess it's up to adherbal; hopefully he agrees. I would like to know how to edit something like this myself someday. It's not something that is readily available, so I doubt it, but it would be nice.
- Bru

bru888

Post by bru888 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:15 am

bru888 wrote:I would like to know how to edit something like this myself someday. It's not something that is readily available, so I doubt it, but it would be nice.
Well looky here! I'm not so dumb after all. :roll:
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Doesn't this look better and sound more logical? May I offer you the file as a minor contribution to the game from me?
english_9.zip
(3.82 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
(Watch me get banned, now. :wink: )
- Bru

Asap
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Asap » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:43 am

bru888 wrote:
bru888 wrote:I would like to know how to edit something like this myself someday. It's not something that is readily available, so I doubt it, but it would be nice.
Well looky here! I'm not so dumb after all. :roll:
Screenshot 6.jpg
Doesn't this look better and sound more logical? May I offer you the file as a minor contribution to the game from me?
english_9.zip
(Watch me get banned, now. :wink: )
I like it @Bru :o :)
"The sun is new each day" Heraclitus

bru888

Post by bru888 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Asap wrote:I like it @Bru :o :)
Thanks. I'm hoping Lukas will make it official but I won't be heartbroken if he does not. The important thing is, now I know how to tinker with it to suit myself if necessary. :wink:
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”