How do I use Godankey.com key for free DLC?

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Nethog
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

How do I use Godankey.com key for free DLC?

Post by Nethog » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:20 am

Gamewatcher.com ran a promotion last week and I won the Winter War DLC. I received a key from Godankey.com. There were zero instructions on how to obtain the DLC. I tried the obvious and tried ordering the Winter War DLC on the Slitherine store and entering the key as a coupon code but all I got was an error stating the code was not found. Can anyone help? By the way is the base game of OOB: WWII free? I downloaded and installed it and tried the first demo. I saw someone post a comment in another forum stating that only the demo is free. I noticed that I can't update the game to the latest version using the update - I just get an error.

PoorOldSpike
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: How do I use Godankey.com key for free DLC?

Post by PoorOldSpike » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 am

Hi, yes the base game is free, but the forum tech experts know more about the other stuff you mentioned and I'm sure they'll be able to help when they get back from the pub..:)
PS- Meanwhile the free base game has got a fantastic tutorial game in it so learn on that while you're waiting.

CoolDTA
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by CoolDTA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:45 am

Following the instructions in this thread should help.

Nethog

Post by Nethog » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:01 pm

CoolDTA, unfortunately the instructions in the thread you provided start with purchasing a DLC and getting a download link, so this does not help me. I instead supposedly get Winter War for free somehow using the godankey code.

CoolDTA

Post by CoolDTA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 pm

Nethog wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:01 pm
CoolDTA, unfortunately the instructions in the thread you provided start with purchasing a DLC and getting a download link, so this does not help me.
It does, but notice the instructions further down. You need to go to the Members Downloads and from there download the Order of Battle : World War II PC Installer v. 7.1.4, install it and then download the Order of Battle : World War II PC Update v8.1.0 and run it to update your installation. At that point you should have the free OoB - WW2 installed. Then even further down in the instructions, there is some text + image showing how you can enter your Winter War DLC Serial Number (the code you got) to activate it.

Another possibility is to use Steam. Using your code you should first register the game serial number in your Slitherine account. Then once you have registered the game in your account, you can redeem a Steam serial key. Go to Steam and activate the game (Games -> Activate a Product on Steam). Steam takes care of the rest. It is much, much simpler than using Slitherine version.

Nethog

Post by Nethog » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:45 pm

Ok great thanks for the info. I won't be able to try this until September however since I just left for 2 weeks vacation! Lol

Nethog

Post by Nethog » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Well I tried my best to figure out how to actually use this key but I am completely stumped! I updated my version of OOB-WWII to v8.1.0. Then I re-ran the v8.1.0 installer and selected the "Activate DLC: button, selected "Order of Battle - Winter War", entered "xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" and clicked "Activate Serial", and I get and Error pop-up stating "Invalid serial number". Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Of course I removed the real Godankey campaign number I received above.

CoolDTA

Post by CoolDTA » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:08 pm

Nethog wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:19 pm
Well I tried my best to figure out how to actually use this key but I am completely stumped! I updated my version of OOB-WWII to v8.1.0. Then I re-ran the v8.1.0 installer and selected the "Activate DLC: button, selected "Order of Battle - Winter War", entered "xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" and clicked "Activate Serial", and I get and Error pop-up stating "Invalid serial number". Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Of course I removed the real Godankey campaign number I received above.
That's a bummer. :( One thing I'd try though it is a long shot -> probably won't work, but it is quick to check out: try the key you got at Steam (you need the Steam client of course).

Nethog

Post by Nethog » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:36 pm

Unfortunately I don't have a steam key - I just loaded the free OOB WWII directly from Slitherine.

CoolDTA

Post by CoolDTA » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:07 am

Nethog wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:36 pm
Unfortunately I don't have a steam key - I just loaded the free OOB WWII directly from Slitherine.
I meant try the key you have ("I received a key from Godankey.com.") at Steam. It is possible the key is for Steam and anyway it is worth a try. Just go to Steam and activate the game (Games -> Activate a Product on Steam) using the "xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" i.e. the only key you have. No need to download anything beforehand except the Steam client in case you don't have it.

Nethog

Post by Nethog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 am

I tried activating the code in steam and it said that the code I have requires that the original game be activated first. So yes it appears I have a steam key. Since I have the free version of OOB WWII is there any way I can get a steam key for the game? Perhaps I should uninstall the version I downloaded from Slitherine and try downloading the base game from Steam first?

CoolDTA

Post by CoolDTA » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Yes, that sounds like a plan. The base game is naturally free at Steam also and you don't need any keys for it (just click the install or play game button to download it).

terminator
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by terminator » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:23 pm

If it is a Steam Key for Winter War, you need to install the base game from Steam.

PS: It is not mandatory to delete the version of Slitherine.You can play both versions (Slitherine and Steam) on the same computer.

Nethog

Post by Nethog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:28 pm

SUCCESS!!!! Installed using Steam and activated Winter War DLC using the code I received from Gamewatcher. Thanks CoolDTA for your assistance. Obviously Gamewatcher should have specified it was a Steam key in the email they sent me.

CoolDTA

Post by CoolDTA » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Indeed! Glad to be of assistance. :) I hope you like the game. Winter War is a challenging but fun dlc. If you ever need some help or tips the main forum here is a good place to ask.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”