No deal

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

SchackSchirack
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

No deal

Post by SchackSchirack » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Sorry to open up a new thread, but I wanted to make sure that it would be noticed.

I was willing to buy all OOB add-ons, but since I can't get the v8.1.0 to launch, I have given up on this. Tried all suggested solutions to no avail and the provided link to the members area to get a 32-bit version does not work (404 page not found).

The v7.1.4 runs just fine, but I don't want to buy all add-ons when I can't install the latest update.

So I will have to stick to my good old SC WWII.

Thanks for reading
Fred

robertahyuk
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: No deal

Post by robertahyuk » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:23 pm

Someone here must know what the problem is. If Erik or Bru can't seem to help you, you might write up a "contact" ticket about it. I've never had any problem like what you have described.

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:29 pm

Fred, I have been in your boat. But first, when you say "Tried all suggested solutions to no avail," I take you at your word. These include complete uninstallation and reinstallation, deleting the Settings folder, even defragmenting your hard disk and making sure it has enough room for the game.

Now I will share my experience with you. On my older laptop, the last viable version of OOB for me was 7.14/7.16, just like you. 8.1.0 would not run consistently, frequently crashing the editors and occasionally during gameplay. I noticed that the laptop's fans were working overtime, so that was a clue.

I acquired access to a newer laptop and the difference has been like night and day. Stable and smooth. Same operating system, Windows 10, so it had to be a hardware problem. Believe me, I did try everything on that older laptop, suggested and otherwise. Other games were fine, I might add.

All throughout, though, I realized that mine was an isolated issue. I always keep an eye on the forums in this situation, and nobody else was reporting frequent crashes. Mind you, it shouldn't be this way - the game should work the same on all specified hardware - but there it was.

None of this is helpful to you, I know. Except, is there another machine on which you could load OOB 8.1.0 and give it a try?
- Bru

SchackSchirack

Post by SchackSchirack » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:59 pm

robertahyuk, bru888, thanks for your replies.

Indeed I tried everything, except the HDD defragment. There's 1,56 TB of free disc space; so this should be enough. :)

I could try my son's laptop, but since I don't have permanent access, this is no satisfying solution either.

Anyway, thanks for your input & greetings from Bavaria
Fred

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 am

Can you provide more details? Do you see a black screen?

SchackSchirack

Post by SchackSchirack » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm

For some seconds the screen turns black, as if the game would launch, but then it returns to options screen.

But guess what?
Just for fun I tried to install the Steam version and... it works like a charm! :D

Now can I purchase the add-ons from the Slitherine shop and use it with Steam?

Thanks again
Fred

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:02 pm

SchackSchirack wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm
Now can I purchase the add-ons from the Slitherine shop and use it with Steam?

Yes, you can purchase DLCs at Slitherine, then redeem Steam keys from your account/profile for each DLC you bought here. Then download, install and activate those DLC in Steam on top of the main game, if you run it with Steam indeed already.

But in this case you could also buy and add DLCs in Steam right away - both ways are valid.

SchackSchirack

Post by SchackSchirack » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks for your response, bebro.

But my anniversary coupon from Slitherine? Will it be accepted in the Steam shop?

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:12 pm

SchackSchirack wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 pm
Thanks for your response, bebro.

But my anniversary coupon from Slitherine? Will it be accepted in the Steam shop?
I guess not, but you could still use it to purchase here at Slitherine, and then redeem the Steam key for this and finally download and install it on Steam.

So the coupon is not lost.

SchackSchirack

Post by SchackSchirack » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:58 pm

I'll try. Hope my skills to follow this procedure will be sufficient. :wink:

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”