Free France Campaign

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Free France Campaign

Post by uzbek2012 »

bru888 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:22 pm Two good partisan uprising pictures in that batch.

By the way, no old French tanks (Renaults, Hotchkiss, etc.) any more. Lend-lease would be in full swing by now, from an historical perspective. There might still have been some of those tanks around but from a game perspective, they would be absolutely useless against even the PzKw IV tanks, let along Panthers and Tigers. You may see some references to those old French tanks in your sources but gameplay decides the issue. Even the M5A1 Stuart tank is questionable, but I see much more evidence of those light tanks in French armoured units than Renaults and Hotchkisses at this point in the war.
But monsieur they were and surprisingly survived until 1945 ))
On August 15, 1944, the landing was carried out. The French units, having taken Marseille and Toulon, acting in conjunction with the US 7th Army, advanced along the Swiss border to join the US 3rd Army, which included the 2nd Armored Division. On September 11, this meeting took place. Later, the French 1st Army fought in the south-west of Germany, May 1945. she met in Tyrol (western part of Austria).

It should be noted that new units, including tank units, were created from the resistance units using the domestically produced armored vehicles captured from the Germans, which helped the regular troops.

So, together with the 2nd armored division, the 13th Dragoon Regiment fought, which had 3 squadrons equipped with tanks of English production "Sentor" (14 units), French production Somua S35 (17 units), B1bis (19 units), as well as several Renault R35 tanks and Lorraine 37L armored personnel carriers.

In the south-west of France, the 5th Dragoon Regiment fought, equipped with 40 H39 tanks, mostly "German modification" and several Sentor tanks. For the transportation of infantry, the American T16 armored personnel carriers and the British Universal Carrier were used.
http://tankfront.ru/france/history/FFL.html
R35 participated in combat operations as part of the 5th Dragoon Regiment of the French Army during the liberation of France from the German invaders in 1944-1945.
https://coollib.com/b/344813/read

P.s.
https://www.designmodproject.de/panzer- ... -1939-1945
Такое есть на первый Panzer Corps :wink:
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

uzbek2012 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:30 pm
bru888 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:22 pm By the way, no old French tanks (Renaults, Hotchkiss, etc.) any more. Lend-lease would be in full swing by now, from an historical perspective. There might still have been some of those tanks around but from a game perspective, they would be absolutely useless against even the PzKw IV tanks, let along Panthers and Tigers. You may see some references to those old French tanks in your sources but gameplay decides the issue. Even the M5A1 Stuart tank is questionable, but I see much more evidence of those light tanks in French armoured units than Renaults and Hotchkisses at this point in the war.
But monsieur they were and surprisingly survived until 1945 ))
All right. I will sprinkle some in: "French production Somua S35 .., [Char] B1bis ... as well as several Renault R35 tanks." However:
1) Not in the modern armoured divisions (1re DB and 2e DB). Supporting the infantry divisions only.
2) You will be seeing more PzKw IVs instead of the newer German tanks than was anticipated.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Free France 1940-1945 v0.46 has been uploaded. It includes the new Operation Dragoon scenario. Also new are several campaign messages before Operation Dragoon, Liberation of Paris, and Strasbourg which further the story of Free France.

Free France 1940-1945 (seventeen scenarios)

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (267.16 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Splendid, thanks a lot! 8)

I will test this scenario soon. :D

Any feedback from other players would be welcome too, of course. :wink:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (175.24 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (165.5 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (181.68 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (415.39 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Instead of just showing off ( :) ), I do have another purpose for posting these images below. This is a set of four messages that the player should see just after completing both primary objectives in Liberation of Paris but before the "Victory" window pops up. I think it works, but if anyone would like to test it during a scenario playthrough (and of course winning it), I would be appreciative.

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (176.75 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (191.51 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (175.03 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (176.41 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (144.2 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

That is, when I'm done designing it. :wink:
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Excellent events, and very nice pictures. :D

You've reworked the image for the event "Is Paris Burning?" :wink: , and it looks just awesome. :D

About these 4 last events, don't worry, it will be tested in due time. 8) But perhaps a small reminder once this scenario will be added to the campaign would be welcome? :wink:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ColonelY wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:10 pm Excellent events, and very nice pictures. :D Merci!

You've reworked the image for the event "Is Paris Burning?" :wink: , and it looks just awesome. :D Yes, it's two photos layered side-by-side. Same with the "No Artillery" photos with the circle/slash layered over the gun photo. I am getting proficient with paint.net at long last.

About these 4 last events, don't worry, it will be tested in due time. 8) But perhaps a small reminder once this scenario will be added to the campaign would be welcome? :wink: Will do. Liberation of Paris is going to be unique in a couple of ways: 1) Large map to allow city detail without the city taking up the entire map. 2) Only two Allied divisions involved, which probably means going down to the company level with this one. So what's unique? Companies covering a map this size. I think it will work, but it's probably going to need 50+ turns. A rough draft is shown below; Paris is the big city blob in the north and the Allies are driving up five roads from the south and west.
preview.png
preview.png (402.27 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
- Bru
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

PARIS LIBÉRÉ: DE GAULLE le 25 AOUT 1944 :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzYCFgKNlyw

91oJJxECftL.jpg
91oJJxECftL.jpg (760.09 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I mention that speech in the second of these three campaign messages between Liberation of Paris and Strasbourg:

Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (194.52 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (211 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (177.2 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Screenshot 8.jpg
Screenshot 8.jpg (169.04 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Screenshot 9.jpg
Screenshot 9.jpg (201.98 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

And Colonel, before you discover this lovely lady, I already have her covered:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (148.05 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (142.88 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (144.46 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I also remembered this fellow — now is the time for him:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (157.64 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (156.77 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (167.02 KiB) Viewed 1654 times

Interesting how the game truncates the accent over the capital "E" in "École" if it appears in the first line of the dialog window:

Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (28.28 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

but not if it was in the second line as shown here:

Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

I noticed this phenomenon (again, since I believe I mentioned it in the past) while I was correcting the double spacing in "École Navale" above.

Also, I would like to take credit for knowing that it's "blindé" (masculine) because it refers to a regiment, whereas the division is "blindée" (feminine). That is, I would like to take credit, but all I did was copy and paste from Wikipedia, where the author apparently go it right. :wink:

It is my preference to continue to capitalize where it would be expected by American and British English-speakers. Therefore, I am using "Régiment Blindé de Fusiliers-Marins" instead of "Régiment blindé de Fusiliers-marins" as French writers would have it, I believe.

P.S., I corrected another mistake (not a typo, but a math error): Philippe de Gaulle served 18 years as a senator, not 8.
- Bru
rafdobrowolski
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by rafdobrowolski »

I love that you included so much history in this Campaign, bru. It adds a sense of perspective and reminds the player that these events occurred, real people died, and that war is not only triumph, but tragedy. Even as a history buff, I learned so much about this time period and war, and I really appreciate it that much more. Thanks.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

rafdobrowolski wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:23 am I love that you included so much history in this Campaign, bru. It adds a sense of perspective and reminds the player that these events occurred, real people died, and that war is not only triumph, but tragedy. Even as a history buff, I learned so much about this time period and war, and I really appreciate it that much more. Thanks.
Thanks, raf. Your comments on this aspect are very much appreciated. Sometime, when it's all done and you have nothing better to do (when that will be, who knows? :) ) maybe play through the campaign just to see what else is in here. I only post some of what I have done in terms of campaign and scenario messages.

I do like one thing: The narrative flows, I think. Especially if you do play the campaign and not just the individual scenarios. Maybe it's not all that appropriate for this game, any game, but I feel that I have told the story of Free France here. Maybe the gameplay leaves something to be desired, but the storytelling is there.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Always a good feeling when a map comes together in style! :)

Inner City.jpg
Inner City.jpg (649.26 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
City.jpg
City.jpg (874.22 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Top Half of Map.jpg
Top Half of Map.jpg (812.01 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
preview.png
preview.png (502.86 KiB) Viewed 1611 times

Also interesting how making the map first, which is necessary of course, now determines the strategy and tactics to some extent.
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

17OperationDragoon: 8)

Another truly excellent scenario, with top and immersive events! A real pleasure! :D

So, let’s dive in another feedback of mine, shall we? :wink:
- For once, I’ll suggest adding a handful of turns! :o

The forest will delay us quite a lot and, despite a rather very easy start of the scenario, things will get more serious pretty soon. :twisted:

It was during the 38th turn that I’ve earned a Major Victory. :?

End of turn 36, all that was left preventing a Major Victory: at Marseille, Fort St-Jean (fortress left with 9 str and 6 org), Fort St-Nicolas (resp. 5 and 4) and a single German Heavy Inf at the flag (resp. 4 and 5)… So no longer a big deal, but still…
For Aix-en-Provence, I helped the US fighting the garrison then took the flag before them with a tank unit! :lol: :D

Then, I’ll still suggest to increase few defenses (basically tanks and naval mines) anyway, so… let’s see… I needed 38 turns (‘could certainly have done better :roll: , but still). Few more units added. Let’s say 40 turns. Then, for a more casual playthrough… perhaps 4 extra turns? What about 44 turns? :?:

:arrow: Perhaps simply :idea: increase this amount of turns (to 44?), then delay the last wave of US from the 3rd by 2 turns, add 1 to 2 German planes with their very last wave (more westwards for example) and that shall do it! :wink:
- About the 3rd US inf: :idea:
1. Perhaps offer them some slight income so that they’ll be able to replenish a little? :wink:
2. They could come with their own small air support, with one or two AI-controlled fighters on S&D that is… :P (checking the off-map air supply for them, of course)
It’s very good to keep these commandos, by the way, as they are not bothered by rivers while crossing forests, for example! 8)

- German planes have no XP at all (all waves concerned) :shock:

- A Canadian support ship seems not to be able to repair a non-Canadian ship… :?
Now, do we want to use this ability or not? :?:
If yes, then as most of our ships being Americans, :idea: have an American support ship instead of this Canadian one? And, to keep some Canadian ship as well, what about adding a Canadian DD, perhaps replacing one of the US DDs? :wink:
If no, because we’ll have the port hexes of Toulon to replenish our ships later anyway, well, then nothing to change here…

- :!: Add a module to prevent the air deployment of our planes until the sec obj “Knock out the coastal guns of Îles d'Hyères” is achieved. Then, once you deploy all our planes, disable as well this trigger/module. Why? 5 air deploy hexes are available from start… :? and as we don’t know exactly in advance when the weather will be cleared, then, well… :wink:
- About the US infantry advance: Nicely done but may be a little surprising at first glance. (Infantry unit coming there, but it looks like the road, East of this very first town, doesn’t belong to the US…)

No, no, I won’t suggest changing all hex ownership to US, fortunately! :lol: But rather just :idea: adding one event once the very first town is captured by US forces. :wink: Perhaps with a picture of some radio guys on the field or something. As text, maybe saying something like due to fog of war, communications problems and our focus put elsewhere anyway, we don’t really know what’s going there up north, except that the American cover our right flank there and that we shall stay at least informed about which towns are under the control of our American friends…
- About the Partisans: I’ve even forgotten that we have to see some of them, as I’ve only seen a single unit on the very last turn (the 38th for this test!)… :lol: :oops:

1. What about :idea: adding an event when any of our land units come close enough of Marseille (6-7 hexes?): some radio communication informing us that Partisans groups have gathered and taken arms, ready to help… A picture? https://www.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=htt ... egUIARDkAQ
(So, at least we’ll hear about this… as their apparition depends then on conditions which could be, or not, met. For example, if the player concentrates his forces, then there is no free hex left…)

2. Change the trigger event to “Move Event” rather than “Turn Start” (thus much more likely to happen)… :wink:

3. Perhaps even :idea: add a scenario variable to count each time one unit of these guys is spawned… we don’t want nor need to many of them (the area should already be pretty crowded anyway, for the final push)… perhaps 3 cells may be activated at max? :?: :wink:

... to be continued...
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

... the continuation...

- About naming units: 8)
1. “Grp Antiaérienne” should be written “Grp Antiaérien” (Grp = groupe, well, group in English obviously; but in French it’s a masculine word, so…). This appears 3 times.
2. The spawned unit “2e Cuirassiers / CC1 / 1re”… there should be enough space to write fully “2e Cuirassiers / CC1 / 1re DB”.
3. The AA unit “21e Groupe Antillais” could be called “21e Groupe Antillais / 1re DFL”. :wink:
- Old French tanks supporting German infantry divisions: :P
ColonelY wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:08 am [...] To the east, German troops used old French tanks in their defence. […]
Some of them could be added here and there… Not in the modern Panzer division, I mean, but rather supporting the infantry divisions only. :wink:

Especially in the Eastern part of the map, which allows now a very fast advance… so I would say mainly for the 242nd and 148th German Infantry Divisions, so perhaps a total of 4 old tank units to be added on the eastern part of the map, as we have these two models (that have never appeared in the campaign at this time):
PzKw. 39H 735(f) & PzKw. 35S 739(f) :P

The equivalent to the French Hotchkiss (H) and Somua (S) tanks – of course, since it’s the very same tanks under another flag! :lol: :wink:

The first time we see one of these units, a short but cool and immersive event saying few words about it!

So, one unit of each kind per div there? (That may be too much…*)
And perhaps a last one together with the 338th Inf Div as well (in the NW of the map)… other places are already pretty crowded, I think… for variation, it could even be a single unit of Flammpanzer III… (which isn't, of course, some old French tank, I know)
*How many tanks? :?:
I would say it oscillates between a maximum of: a total of 5 German tanks to be added, 4 old French ones and 1 flame-tank!
… and a minimum of: simply 2 old French tanks in the East (one of each kind).

(Yeah, I know this shall slow our troops a little bit… but it shouldn’t change much anyway in terms of available turns, so that’s not directly in opposition with the fact of increasing turns.)
- When our unit called “Marine et Pacifique / 1re DFL” is moved for the very first time, a pop-up may show up to recall the great Bir Hakeim! :D
Following the losses suffered by the 1st Marine Infantry Battalion (B.I.M) and the Pacific Battalion (B.P.1) during the siege of Bir Hakeim, General Koenig decided to merge the two units into the BIMP.
On July 1, 1942, the two units merged to form, as of June 16, 1942, the Marine and Pacific Infantry Battalion.
” And we should see again this unit in the Authion scenario! :wink:
(Source: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataillon ... _Pacifique ; pictures? Well, candidates: https://www.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=htt ... B0AAAAAEAM https://www.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=htt ... egUIARCnAQ https://www.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=htt ... egUIARCxAQ and the logo, without background: https://www.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=htt ... B0AAAAAEAM or with some background already: https://www.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=htt ... B0AAAAAEAM https://www.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=htt ... B0AAAAAEAM )
=> Perhaps :idea: this picture https://www.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=htt ... B0AAAAAEAM with this one, set smaller, above, near a corner https://www.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=htt ... B0AAAAAEAM ? :?:
- :idea: Add some German AA capability in Toulon itself (fine for Marseille, but Toulon…).

- :idea: Naval mines:
2 or 3, perhaps randomly located, in the area South from Toulon? (with the German knowing where they “swim”, of course)
- About German flags:

1. Once our fleet do appear, or once the event “Operation Sitka” pops-up (awesome picture, by the way! :D ), I suggest changing the ownership of all flags in the “Îles d'Hyères” as well as of the 3 supply output of these islands… so that we see these tiny islands being fully under our own control; no need indeed to see German flags flying over there until scenario end!

2. Similar consideration about the flag at: “Presqu'île de Giens”. Change ownership once the two nearby coastal guns are destroyed (likely by our ships and/or commandos)…

All other flags shouldn’t be a bother at all.
By the way, you're right, the blowing effect is excellent like this.

Et voilà ! :D
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Free France 1940-1945 v0.47 has been uploaded.

Free France 1940-1945 (seventeen scenarios)

This version includes these changes to the Operation Dragoon scenario:
• Increased turns to 45.
• Tweaked the 3rd Infantry Division schedule so that the final appearance of units near Aix-en-Provence occurs in Turn 33 instead of Turn 31.
• Gave income to the elements of the 3rd Infantry Division once they appear. No additional air support, however.
• Provided experience to all Luftwaffe waves.
• The reason why the Canadian support ship could not repair any ships is that the Canadian faction has no resources to start the scenario. I gave them a basket of 100 RPs; it can now repair any Allied ship. This will not upset balances too much because the only other Canadian unit in the scenario is one of the commandos; the player can choose whether to devote some of these RP's to that unit or save them for ship repair.
• Regarding "Add a module to prevent the air deployment of our planes until the sec obj 'Knock out the coastal guns of Îles d'Hyères' is achieved," yes, having those air deployment hexes available from the start defeats the very purpose of NOT having any air support while that mission is being conducted. The trouble is, when to make such deployment hexes available? I cannot predict when the player will complete the mission. Therefore, I changed the air unit module from "Deploy" to "Spawn."
• Removed the French Resistance module. Let's face it: the way this game is constructed, and given the weakness of these units, they really are not useful except in certain circumstances (like what I did in Jedburgh Missions and what I will be doing in Liberation of Paris). To have them suddenly appear in Marseille only to be slaughtered by the fortresses and heavy infantry is dumb. Marseille is too crowded anyway and I ran out of secondary objectives that the partisans could do, like blow up a radar station. So they are out, in favor of a message about the uprising as the Allies draw near the city.
• Made all suggested unit name corrections.
• You left out your beloved Char B1 tanks which, in German hands, became the PzKw B-2 740(f)! I added one of each type of captured French tank to the 148th Division defending the roads leading into Toulon from the east.*

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (158.52 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

• Added a Flammpanzer, but not to the 338th Infantry Division. It was more appropriate for the 11th Panzer Division.*
• Moved the 242nd Division's AA unit from the outskirts to downdown Toulon.
• Added German-owned naval mines in the harbours of Toulon and Marseille.
• Created a series of "Cape and Island Conversions" triggers that will switch flags once neighboring enemy units are destroyed (three capes and three islands).
• Regarding the BIMP**:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (184.33 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (190.01 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

*That's a total of four additional enemy tanks. You did not seem to have an overly difficult job of winning this scenario, and the 9 extra turns will help, so I am optimistic that the player will not find these changes too burdensome.

** I would have used your BIMP insignia image except that the "R" in it bothered me. During the war, I believe the BIMP remained battalion-sized. It only became a regiment after the war, and I think the "R" stands for "Régiment" so I used another image without the lettering.

RIMaP-P_copie.png
RIMaP-P_copie.png (198.87 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

Yes, the progress of the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division from east to west across the top of the map requires some "squinting." This division needs to be a team member with the French or else they will be fighting each other at Aix-en-Provence! But that means, whatever territory that the 3rd Division conquers would also open it up to French incursions. I do not want the French wandering around up there; for one thing, that area would then need to be stocked with German units, etc. That is the reason why, as the 3rd Division takes each VP, only the VP and one hex are in U.S. control. The rest of the area remains off-limits to keep the French out. So, please "squint" when you are looking up there. :)
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Excellent, thanks! :D

bru888 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:09 pm [...] So, please "squint" when you are looking up there. :) [...]
Understood! :lol: ( :wink: )

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”