Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Jarry the Ace
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Jarry's Custom Scenarios

Post by Jarry the Ace »

List of Scenarios:

Battle of the Scheldt https://www.dropbox.com/s/brtsjbzfeqmef ... 0.zip?dl=0
In October 1944 the First Canadian Army is tasked with capturing Walcheren Island and clearing German forces and coastal batteries from the Scheldt Estuary so that the port of Antwerp can be opened to Allied shipping. It will turn into a bloody slog through mud and water against determined German resistance.

Battle of Balaclava https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iewc3qw5bjfi ... 0.zip?dl=0
A semi-fictional battle taking place at the site of the Crimean War Battle of Balaclava. German and Romanian troops attempt to open the back door to Sevastopol by taking Balaclava in a lightning attack in November 1941.

Balaclava (Crimean War Edition) https://www.dropbox.com/s/1c57zm6nk8ie3 ... r.zip?dl=0
A fictional battle taking place at the site of the Crimean War Battle of Balaclava. German and Romanian troops try to repel a massive Russian attack on the port. April 18, 1944. (This scenario is not intended to simulate the Soviet capture of Balaclava in 1944, but rather the troop composition and setup from the Crimean War. German, Waffen SS, and Romanian units play the part of the British, French, and Ottoman defenders, respectively. The Russians play themselves. Map is significantly different than the main Balaclava scenario, above.)

--------

Original Post:

Just made my first custom scenario. Turned out to be tons of work, but so much fun. I would appreciate any feedback.

Battle of the Scheldt

In October 1944 the First Canadian Army is tasked with capturing Walcheren Island and clearing German forces and coastal batteries from the Scheldt Estuary so that the port of Antwerp can be opened to Allied shipping. It will turn into a bloody slog through mud and water against determined German resistance.

You will command units from the 2nd Canadian Division, 3rd Canadian Division, 4th Canadian Armoured Division, 49th British West Riding Division ("Polar Bears"), 1st Polish Armoured Division, 52nd British Lowland Division, 104th US Division ("Timberwolves"), Clarkforce, 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade, and Naval Force T. Encompasses the fighting in Zeeland and North Brabant in October 1944, including the western portion of Operation Pheasant.

Current Version 2.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/brtsjbzfeqmef ... 0.zip?dl=0

preview.png
preview.png (418.79 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
I began by trying to make the scenario as realistic as possible. But as I played around with the editor, the scenario got more and more complicated and I decided fun gameplay was more important than realism. Not sure if this hits the mark or not. It may be a little overdone, with too many units and objectives. The original idea was to include all units that actually participated, down to the regiment / battalion level, but there are just too many. So I deleted a bunch, including units that played important roles. Also, the limited equipment selections for Canadian and Polish units makes it hard to replicate the actual forces.

This is my first try, and I have no idea how to achieve an optimal balance. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!
Last edited by Jarry the Ace on Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Jarry's Custom Scenarios

Post by Shards »

That certainly looks large!

There's definitely a few players on this forum for whom this could be right up their street though!
Fabio3110
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fabio3110 »

Jarry the Ace wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:34 am Also, the limited equipment selections for Canadian and Polish units makes it hard to replicate the actual forces.
I played the first few turns and will finish the scenario later today, and I would like to note that this issue you have with limited units is solvable by selecting a unit from the United Kingdom and then switching to Poland in the unit menu. When you then click on an empty tile you will deploy the unit you selected from the UK under a Polish flag. This method can be used for all units and nations.

The scenario itself is looking good so far, with a detailed map and unit composition. I'll make another post later once I've finished the scenario. :)
Always good to see more custom scenarios, especially more scenario creators.
Jarry the Ace

Post by Jarry the Ace »

I would like to note that this issue you have with limited units is solvable by selecting a unit from the United Kingdom and then switching to Poland in the unit menu. When you then click on an empty tile you will deploy the unit you selected from the UK under a Polish flag. This method can be used for all units and nations.
Wow, thank you for the tip Fabio. Might be time to start working on the next version...
Jarry the Ace

Post by Jarry the Ace »

I created version 1.2 and updated the link in the first post. Made some changes to the Canadian and Polish units as well as some other tweaks and bug fixes. Hope everyone enjoys it!
current version 1.2: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fbounr0ccqk5 ... aBsAa?dl=0
Jarry the Ace

Post by Jarry the Ace »

I streamlined the units somewhat and made a few more tweaks. I'm pretty happy with this version and plan to submit it soon.
Battle of the Scheldt v 1.3: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fbounr0ccqk5 ... aBsAa?dl=0
Jarry the Ace

Post by Jarry the Ace »

Finally figured out how to create the units that used Terrapin and Buffalo amphibious vehicles to make an amphibious landing in the Breskens Pocket. Only the Americans have a suitable amphibious carrier and I could not figure out how to use it to carry Canadian infantry. Turns out I just had to use American infantry under the Canadian flag - so Canada's Highland Brigade are now 1944 US Marines. Oh well - it works.

In previous versions I made 2 special boat service brigades available as a proxy for this amphibious landing. They are amazing and a lot of fun, but a bit of a game changer. They're difficult to spot and can land, attack artillery or aa batteries with impunity, then get back into the water before German infantry can respond. In the current version, those units are not available until much later.

But a landing in the Breskens Pocket might not be as successful as it was in the actual battle. The German coastal batteries in this scenario are a nightmare for any naval transports or supply ships. Good luck!
stevefprice
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stevefprice »

British 41,47 & 48 Commando also used Buffaloes to land at Westkapelle :)
Jarry the Ace

Post by Jarry the Ace »

stevefprice wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:08 am British 41,47 & 48 Commando also used Buffaloes to land at Westkapelle :)
And yet Buffalos are not available to the British either.

At least the British naval transports for infantry units are some sort of landing craft that are capable of attacking ground units. Not sure what they are, but they're better than the regular toothless naval transports.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

The players now actually have two different Scheldt scenarios to choose from. Interesting.
Bru's version is here: viewtopic.php?f=374&t=78762
I hope it is ok to post this link in your thread, Jarry.

Erik
Jarry the Ace

Post by Jarry the Ace »

Thanks for pointing that out, Erik. I will have to try Bru's Scheldt scenario - it looks intense!

Is it unusual to have two versions of the same scenario? If so, I will be more careful next time.
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by conboy »

Jarry, not to worry, we'll get a lot of pleasure out of both. It's interesting to see the difference in interpretations.
I have not tried Bru's Scheldt scenario, but yours is quite challenging and interesting, so far. Turn 6 now.
Good stuff, thanks!

conboy
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Jarry the Ace wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:39 pm [...] Is it unusual to have two versions of the same scenario? If so, I will be more careful next time.
No problem at all, I think. 8) And it is indeed interesting to be able to compare several versions or interpretations; besides, one can see right away that the map is different, so it is in no way a copy/cut. :wink:

:arrow: I would say: just let your inspiration flow & keep up the good work! :D
conboy

Post by conboy »

Jarry,
Just finished your Scheldt scenario.
Excellent, and fun!
Well done, no issues (although wish Canadians had more RPs but that made it more challenging). Maybe it's not an issue, but there were no V1 strikes on Antwerp, that I noticed. Nevertheless, I didn't miss them, as I had my hands full with the rest of the scenario.
Played on Level 3. I finished the primary objectives on turn 38 but did not get a couple of secondary objectives. It never really dragged and was always interesting.
Well done, thanks for the effort!
I have attached a zip file of the replay in case you're interested.

conboy
Scheldt Fun!.zip
(57.95 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Jarry the Ace

Post by Jarry the Ace »

Thank you Conboy! That's great to hear. It's my first attempt and I'm not sure of the line between "challenging" and "impossibly frustrating". I'm glad you enjoyed it, and congratulations for finishing on your first try. I will definitely watch the play through.
The V1/V2 attack popup was just for historical flavour. There are no actual rocket attacks, and I'm not even sure how to do that.
Cheers.
Mascarenhas
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Mascarenhas »

Great scenario, congrats and keep doing more! In this one, I finished it after 42 turns, but its worthy a second play.
Jarry the Ace

Post by Jarry the Ace »

Mascarenhas wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:28 am Great scenario, congrats and keep doing more! In this one, I finished it after 42 turns, but its worthy a second play.
Thanks - glad you liked it. I don't even want to guess how many hours I spent figuring out the Editor and making this scenario - I enjoyed every minute of it.

Looking at this again, I think it's still too hard. Some of the German defenses are over the top, and it's very difficult to get all of the secondary objectives in time. I'm going to make a few more tweaks today to make it a little more playable at level 3.
Jarry the Ace

Post by Jarry the Ace »

More tweaks. This one is different enough that I'm going to call it v.2.0:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kla1cpwvn0gv3 ... 0.zip?dl=0
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Jarry the Ace wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:21 am More tweaks. This one is different enough that I'm going to call it v.2.0
[...]
Damn, you’ve indeed made a lot of modifications; I was just about to put some comments on the previous version… :lol:

:arrow: In any case, the following points are still relevant (about Scheldt v2.0):

1. Folders “Events” -> “British Reinf.” -> “Naval Support” => both triggers “Minesweepers”: all British ships should appear facing right! :wink: (They came from the left.)

2. “German Actions” -> “Moer. Bridge” => trigger “Enemy at Bridge M” -> Effect: “Setup AI Team” (as “Move to Hex” selected…) => Click on “Target Hex” to select the Bridge Hex in question… :!: Otherwise they have to move to a certain hex but don’t know which one as none has been precised to them. (It may be obvious, but soldiers are expecting orders… :roll: )
(The 2nd trigger there, in this folder, is fine!)

3. All “Random MGs” should be put under AI Team 1, as “static defense” rather than no AI at all… :wink:

4. About German boats: :idea: Put all eastern gunboats and schnell boats from AI Team 1 to 21 (“navy hiding”, so that they may be put into action later, as S&D). Put all German Supply ships from AI Team 1 back to “None” (as they won’t fire back anyway and aren’t supposed either to move during this scenario, so…).

5. “Events” => “Clear Mine” trigger: the condition “Check Unit Count” should now target (only) the German naval mines rather than the neutral (we had both within the previous version – you’ve corrected this, but just forgot this little detail here; we want to see this event and benefit from a little more ressources, don’t we? :) )

6. Comparing AI Teams 2 to 4, all on “Local Defense”, but the “AI Team 3” is set up for a distance of 1 rather than 2 as the two others… On purpose? :?
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

8) Very interesting scenario. Thanks & congratulations

Keep up the good work! :D

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”