Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Editor: Map cropping

Post by Erik2 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:21 pm

This is the formula for cropping the map using the standard command 'shift c'
#crop new_width new_height offset_x offset_y

How do you use the offset?

I have a 120x120 template map that I will use parts of for different scenarios.
If I want to remove 50 hexes from the left map side and 70 hexes from the top map side, what would the command be?
Must the areas to be removed be free of units?

I hope at some point in the future some kind of 'fool-proof' user interface will replace the command.
Something like this from 'The Operational Art of War'. After selecting from the menu, you get a box where you put in the number of hex-rows/columns added/removed.

Thanks
Attachments
map cropping.jpg
map cropping.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 2483 times

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Editor: Map cropping

Post by bebro » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Erik wrote:This is the formula for cropping the map using the standard command 'shift c'
#crop new_width new_height offset_x offset_y

How do you use the offset?

I have a 120x120 template map that I will use parts of for different scenarios.
If I want to remove 50 hexes from the left map side and 70 hexes from the top map side, what would the command be?
Must the areas to be removed be free of units?

I hope at some point in the future some kind of 'fool-proof' user interface will replace the command.
Something like this from 'The Operational Art of War'. After selecting from the menu, you get a box where you put in the number of hex-rows/columns added/removed.

Thanks
Whatever you do, make backups 1st of the map (but I guess you know that :) ).

I sometimes get it wrong myself still, but it should be:

1. cutting off the left part only:

#crop 70 120 -50 0

70 is your new width (x) , -50 should be the x offset, y stuff untouched

I usually do this first, then save, since I found cutting off several parts in one command does not work for me (or I get it wrong). After cutting the left part, your new map is now 70 x 120. I do reload then, and ...

2. cutting off the top 70 hexes should go like:

#crop 70 50 0 -70

Now all x stays the same, but y changes to 50 height, with an y offset of -70.

Hope that helps, but make backups, since the feature sometimes seems to be somewhat tricky still. A GUI for this would be cool indeed.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Oh and re units in that part:

After cutting, the units will still be part of that scn, they do NOT get automatically removed.

You can still delete them via the unit list, but if you want to get rid of them it might be easier to do it before cropping.

However, you might also simply re-position them for further use by shift-click (that's the reason why they stay in).

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks, Bernd.

Cropping works fine, but I noticed that the primary/secondary objectives is screwed (at least in v1.9.7).

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Erik wrote:Thanks, Bernd.

Cropping works fine, but I noticed that the primary/secondary objectives is screwed (at least in v1.9.7).
I think you may have to set the target hexes again yes for briefings/objectives definition. If there's some serious stuff going wrong in an scn after cropping Lukas might be able to help out tho. But I *think most of the other stuff should be ok IIRC (it's been a while since I used that feature)?

So probably overall better to crop maps early in scn making process right now, until that gets ironed out.

Asap
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Asap » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:01 am

Erik wrote:I hope at some point in the future some kind of 'fool-proof' user interface will replace the command.

Thanks
Is there still no easy way for map-cropping? I just tried it with commands and it's a little laborious. Furthermore, all the city names disappear and all the mission-objectives as well :| It would be great, if I could change the size of a map more easily and without any bad side effects :)
"The sun is new each day" Heraclitus

terminator
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by terminator » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:28 am

Here, you can see what does not work :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 74&t=78911

Advice: it is better to make a too big map at first than a too small map (Do not forget that borders are not playable) :idea:
It is impossible to add or suppress a column to the left :(

Asap

Post by Asap » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm

terminator wrote:Here, you can see what does not work :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 74&t=78911

Advice: it is better to make a too big map at first than a too small map (Do not forget that borders are not playable) :idea:
It is impossible to add or suppress a column to the left :(
Thanks @terminator, I have already read this thread. I would like to make some existing scenario-maps a little larger but as the map-cropping works right now, it's unusable for me because names and objectives disappear from the map during the process, so, the loss of time is too big for me.
I managed to add 2 of 3 hexes to the left, 1 hex somehow made it to the right side. I had no problems adding up and down hexes.
"The sun is new each day" Heraclitus

terminator

Post by terminator » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Asap wrote:I managed to add 2 of 3 hexes to the left, 1 hex somehow made it to the right side. I had no problems adding up and down hexes.
I never managed to add one hexe to the left. Up , down and right no problem.
When I want to copy a map of Panzer Corps for example I use two computers : a fixed post and a laptop computer close by. It quickly goes with the habit. What lasts longer in the creation of a scenario are the numerous tests.

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 am

It is impossible to add 1 column of hexes on the left because of the way the hex grid is layed out. It always has to be an even number (2, 4, 6, ...)

terminator

Post by terminator » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Thank you, now I understood what did not go. Example :
crop.jpg
crop.jpg (193.96 KiB) Viewed 2057 times

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”