Bru's Scenarios

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Bru's Scenarios

Post by ColonelY »

It's a nice way to represent this historical aspect, I agree. And, at least, we can choose which ships goes down first, etc. :D

By the way, I've noticed as well this early delay effect (but forgot to mention it in the Free France topic when writing down some ideas)... it's very good that you mention it and that you intend to remove this delaying effect, otherwise the player may become confused by this early in this scenario. 8)
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

Operation Lila Denied v1.1 is uploaded. The link is in the first post.

- Fixed the issue in which Turn 1 scuttle crew placements would scuttle the target ship at the beginning of Turn 3 instead of Turn 2.

- Included a mention in the primary objective descriptions about scuttle timing. Now each objective says "Two scuttle crew boats must end their turn next to a ship in order to scuttle it. The ship will then be scuttled at the beginning of the next turn."

- Removed the "Prove the worthiness of French air forces" secondary objective. This was supposed to be generating an air experience campaign variable for the Free France 1940-1945 campaign (of which the scenario is a part) but this objective was moved up to the Bir Hakeim scenario. Replaced it here with "Revenge: Destroy at least 4 British fighters."

- Added the Waffen SS faction for the elements of the 2nd SS Panzer Division that are included in the scenario, per ColonelY's suggestion.

Note: If this scenario is too hard or too easy, the easiest way to adjust the gameplay balance is to raise or lower the thresholds of harbour facilities and coastal guns that the player needs to retain, below which the scenario ends and the scuttled ship tally determines victory or defeat. (All objectives must be met or all are failed; there is no Draw in this scenario.) Right now, I have them dialed down low (advantage to player). Feel free to advise on this aspect.
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I think the scuttle mechanism is pretty nifty.

I'm on turn-13 v1.0
No problems sinking all RN ships and blasting RAF out of the sky. Maybe add some experience to both British sailors and flyboys? It is 1942 after all.
I would also expect the CV and BC to flee the area if all DDs and CLs are sunk.

The scenario is on the easy side so far, the Germans are being hunted down as they get closer to the objectives.
I would add a bit of experience to them as well.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik, thanks for the feedback.

Operation Lila Denied v1.2 is uploaded. The link is in the first post.

- Additional 1/2 star of experience for all British and German units.

I do beg the player's indulgence on the BB/BC/CV staying in the area after a disaster happening to their CA/CL/DD in the battle with the French bombers and coastal guns, on two grounds:

1) I wanted the player to have the pleasure and challenge of sinking at least one of those big ships with his depleted bomber squadron (and, frankly, the possibility of him making a really bad error of going after them before taking care of the smaller ships attacking the coastal guns - once those guns are mostly gone, the scenario is over).

2) The action takes place all in one day, so it may be plausible that such a sea battle disaster would not become immediately apparent to the British capital ships until it was too late. Eh, most of this scenario is a stretch, but still in the realm of reasonable, I hope.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Operation Lila Denied v1.3 is uploaded. The link is in the first post.

- Added outcome images (just the usual flags, not photos).
- Corrected an historical error: Renamed five submarines.

While researching the aftermath of the scuttling of the French fleet at Toulon, I discovered that "Several submarines ignored orders to scuttle and chose to defect to French North Africa: Casabianca and Marsouin reached Algiers, Glorieux reached Oran. Iris reached Barcelona. Vénus was scuttled in the entrance of Toulon harbour." I had used every one of those names for the subs to be scuttled in the scenario.

The Vénus can stay, but Casabianca, Marsouin, Glorieux, and Iris can't be scuttled in the scenario due to the possibility of seeing them again in the Free France 1940-1945 campaign. As ColonelY has mentioned, the Casabianca at least may appear in a future scenario.

Fortunately, a total of 15 submarines were scuttled at Toulon. I only included 9 subs, so picking 4 alternate names was not a problem.

Interestingly, I just read that the Caïman "was scuttled at Toulon on 27 November 1942 to prevent her capture by the Germans, then raised in February 1943. It was sunk again on 11 March 1944 by Allied aircraft." I avoided that name so I don't have to explain this later on! (Actually, the same may be true for some of the other scuttled subs ... Well, let me just take care of the obvious, the four subs that did NOT get scuttled at Toulon.)
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Nice catch, about these submarines! :D
Erik2 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:51 am [...] The scenario is on the easy side so far, the Germans are being hunted down as they get closer to the objectives.
I would add a bit of experience to them as well.
I agree.

When I've played it for the first time, I've gone for an aggressive defense (as often!), moving out all land units to face the incoming German and, above all, to try outsupplying them... it ends up as a real mobbing up operation! :twisted:

So, now you've already added a bit of experience, but there is something more :idea: that could be added as well: More German and SS units!
By the way, they don't have any artillery nor direct AT capability right now?! :shock:

:arrow: But where to deploy them? Small hint: Due to the defensive units at disposal, I would say the enemy stronger attack comes now from the NE... 8)
:arrow: But which units shall be added?

7th Pz Div
:
Based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Panze ... Wehrmacht)
78 Mot Artillery Reg (105 mm LeFH, by truck)
42 AT Bn
59 light AA Bn

2nd SS Pz Div
:
An order of battle in 1943: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_SS_Pa ... _Das_Reich
Here in 1941 and 1943: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/2e_division_SS_Das_Reich
Here the info that, when our scenario starts, it was already a SS PzG Division: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-Verf%C ... gsdivision
"Am 9. November 1942 erfolgte die Umwandlung in eine Panzergrenadier-Division." = "On November 9, 1942, it was transformed into a Panzergrenadier Division." (And our scenario starts am 27th November 1942!)
Here, for example, more about the regiment "Der Führer": https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-Panzer ... r%E2%80%9C
3rd PzG Reg "Deutschland" / 2nd SS Pz Div
4th PzG Reg "Der Fuhrer" / 2nd SS Pz Div
2 Artillery Reg / 2nd SS Pz Div (which guns?)
2 Pz Tank Destroyer Bn / 2nd SS Pz Div
2 AA Bn / 2nd SS Pz Div
2 Rocket Launcher Bn / 2nd SS Pz Div

:arrow: So, one could add 3 artillery units (including some rocket launcher), 2 ATs (one being an armored unit?), 2 ("famous") PzG infantry regiments, some AA for the flavor...

( :idea: And, moreover, these AA could move from one attacking wing to the other, like moving at some point from the NW group to the SW or the opposite, before going back to normal "moving" or "seek and destroy" stance, thus being used to capture more ground, to keep/establish a connection between these wings... and, basically, to make it more difficult to outsupply an entire enemy attacking group. :twisted: )
And :idea: one could mention that this SS Pz division was called/nicknamed "Das Reich" (that's not nothing!), couldn't we? :D
And as you've written before:
bru888 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm [...] Note: If this scenario is too hard or too easy, the easiest way to adjust the gameplay balance is to raise or lower the thresholds of harbour facilities and coastal guns that the player needs to retain, below which the scenario ends and the scuttled ship tally determines victory or defeat. (All objectives must be met or all are failed; there is no Draw in this scenario.) Right now, I have them dialed down low (advantage to player). Feel free to advise on this aspect.
Yes, we've still a golden opportunity to "adjust the gameplay balance is to raise or lower the thresholds of harbour facilities and coastal guns that the player needs to retain" - that's excellent, and indeed very quick and very easy to adjust in case. :wink:

But we shouldn't really be able to whip out all German and SS land units from the map, anyway, so...
:wink:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Operation Lila Denied v1.4 is uploaded. The link is in the first post.

- Player must retain 4 harbour facilities (instead of just 2) and 6 coastal guns (instead of just 4) to prevent the scenario from ending early and forcing a tally of scuttled ships before he is ready.
- Removed the supply aspect by increasing all existing supply points to 30 and sprinkling many other "hidden" supply points at intersections all across the city.
- For better gameplay balance, added two units of StuH_42_ART and two units of SdKfz_135_1 motorized artillery, all with the 7th Pz Div.

My difficulty meter was indicating "too easy" based on these comments. Originally, I had the thresholds as no less than 4 harbour facilities (versus the Germans) and 6 coastal guns (versus the British). Now I am reverting to these standards which will make this scenario much harder all by themselves. May the agony of future players be on your heads! :evil:

I love the way this game treats supply lines but sometimes it gets in the way. Think of this: It's a lightning raid taking place in one day in a major city. Do we really think the Germans would be worried about supply lines in an operation like this?

But I see how supply can be exploited by aggressive players such as yourselves. (And you must be superior players if you are overcoming the Germans given the - what I thought were - meager French forces to defend the harbour facilities.)

So I sprinkled supply all over the town. Each German attack group now will have enough supply wherever it goes. But when to stop placing supply points? An omen: Excess supply was +1942 when I looked, the year of the scenario. The game was blessing my decision! That's enough!

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (384.17 KiB) Viewed 1749 times

Colonel, I used those orders of battle in constructing the 7th Pz Div and 2nd SS Pz Div but again, this is supposed to be a quick raid. Would the Germans be trundling their artillery and AA guns into town?

But, alright, in the interest of better balance and fun, let's bring in some motorized artillery from the 7th Panzer (Wikipedia says that only certain elements of the 2nd SS Panzer were present: tanks and motorcycle batallions).

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (87.09 KiB) Viewed 1749 times

By the way, in Turn 2, the nicknames of both German divisions are mentioned in the text of a popup message.

So, were you fellows to play this scenario again, you may find it a bit more difficult. If it is now TOO difficult, I can always dial those harbour facilities and coastal guns thresholds back again.
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Without the option to outsupply them, it'll be much more difficult, for sure. :twisted:

Good to see some enemy artillery, this time... :D

It case it would still be too easy on land, we always have another option left, this one being to involve the 2 remaining SS infantry regiment (namely "Deutschland" and "Der Führer")... :wink: But now it should be difficult enough...

:? Well, I fear a little about the coastal guns new threshold (who said this was too easy?), but, well, let's give it a try and see how things will turn out. Anyway, this can be easily adapted, in case...
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Definitely. If you think it's too hard now, I will dial those thresholds back. I do like the supply solution, however, so that will stay. Supply should have no role to play in this scenario.
- Bru
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by conboy »

Bru,
Gave Operation Lila Denied 1.4 a spin. I lost on Turn 5 because I lost too many coastal guns. There must be some aspect of that part that eludes me -- I was having fun tormenting the Germans with the Partisans but don't know how long that might have lasted. Also, was doing fine with the scuttling. Maybe I should get the torpedo planes out a turn earlier. I was doing fine against the German fighters.
So it's a tightly constructed scenario with a beautiful map.
I think the briefing should be a little more helpful with regard to the torpedo planes and the Free French Regulars -- it took me a full turn to realize what the German columns were up to. Just an opinion, not adamant about it. Maybe mention in the brief that the Torpedo planes are necessary to defend the guns against the British ships.
Congratulations on a great scenario! I will follow the discourse to see if the coastal gun objective changes. Otherwise, I don't think I have a chance of beating this scenario unless I get a whole lot smarter with those coastal guns, which is not likely!

Here's a link to the replay if it might be of any help.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/twha6qoc ... a.rec/file

Thanks for the scenario, I really enjoyed it. Congratulations!

conboy
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Re coastal guns.
I concentrated all available guns on one enemy DD/CL that was within all the guns' ranges. Usually the enemy vessel had 1 strength left after one turn.
The next turn you finish the poor vessel and concentrate on the next ship.
You'll probably lose 2-4 guns in the process, but should be able to sink all DDs/CLs.
Note that this was playing the original scenario version.

And I agree, this is a quite fun and original scenario.
conboy

Post by conboy »

Erik, that s how I played it. Must not have been holding my lips properly!

conboy
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

If I may, I think you should leave the CL for the torpedos of your incoming planes, but you can target two DDs during the same turn... (As, once the DD is half-depleted or less, you are more likely to have a chance of doing 1 damage only instead of the 1 or 2 if you're lucky.) :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

And prioritize your targets to save your central coastal guns as - obviously - they have more targets, so are the more invaluable of them. :wink:

Otherwise, first the DDs close to the light cruisers - to reduce the AA help they'll provide to the cruisers when your torpedo planes will attack them... thus sparing some RPs that way! :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Each time, it was the same thing: 2 torpedo sets launched (so 2 units of torpedo planes attacking) = 1 British light cruiser sunk! :twisted: ( :wink: )

So, don't even waste coastal gun shots at cruisers! :wink:
Last edited by ColonelY on Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

And, for (now) obvious reasons, keep your torpedo plane units flying in pairs! :wink:

And... basically, that's it! :D
conboy

Post by conboy »

I tried it again, still without using torpedo planes.
End of turn 2, I had lost 2 guns, sunk two ships, damaged two
End of turn 3, I had lost 4 guns, sunk three ships
end of turn 4, I had lost 6 guns, sunk 4 ships
end of turn 5, I had lost 7 guns, sunk 4 ships

I thought I was going to survive this time because the ships got distracted with other shore targets and ran out of shells, but an airplane knocked out the 7th gun.
So, maybe one less ship or two more guns? Or some tactical hint ...

The ships degrade the guns faster than vice versa - game over by turn 5 start unless there is a fundamental tactic that I am missing. If there is, it should be hinted at in the briefing.

keep awn keepen awwwn!

conboy
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

conboy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:35 pm I tried it again, still without using torpedo planes.
[...]
But why? :shock: ( :wink: )

conboy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:35 pm [...] Or some tactical hint ...[...]
Well, yes: (please) do use your torpedo planes. :wink:
You've 6 units of them at disposal! :D (Which are deployed at scenario start in the southern airfield's hangars.)
conboy

Post by conboy »

The reason I waited on the torpedo planes was to assess the air situation before I risked them. In this case, discretion denied the victory.

I see your point, of course, well made.

maybe I'm losing my edge. My monthly ass-whipping from Pinkelephantis is worse than usual, too...

conboy
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

:D Sure, that's a good point (not wanting to risk them, I mean! :lol: ( :wink: )).

:arrow: But there is something to consider as well about these torpedo planes: they're anyway (much) slower (to move) than your dogfighters... so, you can have 4 of yours dogfighters busy before the first wave of two torpedo planes reaches the first cruiser... :wink:

Last hint/idea: If you move all your planes in the north-west instead of straight north (like in the middle of the port entrance), you're likely to have to deal only with two enemy fighters first. Then gaining the air superiority. When time will come to face the 2 remaining, then you should have your 6 fighters (some lightly damaged) at disposal... :wink:
Last edited by ColonelY on Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”