Erik's campaigns & mods

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

RhodieRanger
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Erik's campaigns

Post by RhodieRanger »

Hello, I really adore your campaigns, the work you achieved on them is truly formidable! I have however noticed what appears to be a bug in the 1939/1940 Wehrmacht campaign. Everything was going well, until the duel scenario. The briefing works well, but once closed, I do not regain the control of the camera, and it instead focuses on the enemy's side of the battlefield, unmoving. I can click on the "pass turn" button, but when I do, the button simply disappears, and nothing happens. When trying to load the scenario from a save, it will load, but the button "to battle" will never happen, leaving me stuck in the loading screen. Any idea on why this would happen? I am running the last version of OOB. Thanks in advance!
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

RhodieRanger wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:01 am Hello, I really adore your campaigns, the work you achieved on them is truly formidable! I have however noticed what appears to be a bug in the 1939/1940 Wehrmacht campaign. Everything was going well, until the duel scenario. The briefing works well, but once closed, I do not regain the control of the camera, and it instead focuses on the enemy's side of the battlefield, unmoving. I can click on the "pass turn" button, but when I do, the button simply disappears, and nothing happens. When trying to load the scenario from a save, it will load, but the button "to battle" will never happen, leaving me stuck in the loading screen. Any idea on why this would happen? I am running the last version of OOB. Thanks in advance!
There never was any issue like this with the scenario. But the disappearance of the button is similar to what happens with my Papua Guinea scenario at a certain turn.
I have a nagging feeling that the latest OOB v9.0 is causing this. I can't find any issues with the scenarios.
Erik2

MicroMod 2.0 update

Post by Erik2 »

MicroMod 2.0 update
Link updated in first post.

Merged my naval/air mod with the MicroMod.

2v2 Battle of the Bulge 1.1:
Increased US Blue/Green resources.
Fixed Luftwaffe air exit/redeployment. Added a couple of emergency airstrips.
Primary objectives are German panzer exits only.
Reduced secondary objectives from 10 locations to y.
Minor terrain adjustments.
Air units have double movement ranges.

3v1 Operation Olympic 1945 2.2:
Reduced number of primary objectives from 40(!) to 8.
Replaced Japanese coastal guns with forts.
Added more Japanese AA units.
More frequent Japanese kamikaze re-spawns.
Increased Japanese resources.
Air units have double movement ranges.

2v2 Operation Pedestal 1.1:
Doubled all factions' resources.
RhodieRanger

Post by RhodieRanger »

Erik2 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:26 pm There never was any issue like this with the scenario. But the disappearance of the button is similar to what happens with my Papua Guinea scenario at a certain turn.
I have a nagging feeling that the latest OOB v9.0 is causing this. I can't find any issues with the scenarios.
Indeed, I looked up the whole thread and didn't see any report on an issue with this mission, and with the fact it's relatively early, on a popular campaign, I was quite confused. It must be due to the new version, the issue is very reproducible (in fact, I've tried doing the whole previous mission over again and still got that issue). I fiddled around, and I can move the camera point of view, using the minimap, I can also access my core panel and the purchase panels, but I can't deploy any of my units, or, indeed, change turn, as the button just disappears when clicked. I guess a way to fix it would be avoiding getting a triumph on the varsaw scenario, as, at least in the panzer corps campaign, a minor victory would send you directly to Norway?
Anyway, thank you for the speedy answer!
JackoBongo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Erik's campaigns & mods

Post by JackoBongo »

Hi Erik,
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but some of the pictures in the scenario are taking lot of space: lower them a bit could save.
In instance, in the latest Afrika Corps (v4.2), I've noticed 5 scenarios
  • \Afrika Korps\Scenarios\1Aufklarung\tobruk2.png taking 9 MB
  • \Afrika Korps\Scenarios\7Gazala\outcome_2_0.png taking 9.6 MB
  • several files in \Afrika Korps\Scenarios\8Herkules\, the whole directory taking moore than 11 MB
  • \Afrika Korps\Scenarios\11Palestine\outcome_2_0.png taking 6.8 MB
Since some file have high resolution (compared to the display res during the game) I think with some simple batch resizing job (with irfanview in instance) you could quickly fix that up.

It's not that much but if you add this up to all the scenario of all your campaign this makes quite a difference for people with slow connection :)
Thanks!
Erik2

2v2 War in the Pacific 2.5

Post by Erik2 »

Moved 2v2 War in the Pacific 2.5 to the MicroMod

Added secondary objectives.
Added commanders.
Naval units use histroical movements.
All air units have double mnovement.
Removed the coastal gun spawns.
jn1
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by jn1 »

Any advice on playing playing Germany East 1944 in general and the Bagration scenario in particular, I'm getting a bit frustrated. I understand it is supposed to be difficult but with the East 1942 and 1943 campaigns at least you had a chance to build up some reserve, here it is just trying to survive and even after replaying scenarios to get an ok outcome I can't survive Bagration. I know the cheat codes but I would like to pass it without using them but the supply situation is murder in this campaign. My main problem is that I'm able to build up an ok SS force during the campaign but Wehrmacht is a struggle since it also has to take care of Luftwaffe and the Russians deploy so many fighters and AA guns. Then you come to Bagration and can only use a small part of the SS force (22 CP) and have to rely on Wehrmacht. How do you hold the line in the center? I'm getting caved in and then it is game over since there are so few supply points on the map.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

JackoBongo

I'll take a look at the pic sizes, the message graphics should ideally be the same size.
jn1

Post by jn1 »

Germany East scenario 2 "Korsun Breakout". The main victory condition trigger is wrong. It says "Hold at least 3 objectives at scenario end" however if you at any turn end during the scenario hold less than 3 objectives you lose the scenario.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

jn1 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:17 pm Germany East scenario 2 "Korsun Breakout". The main victory condition trigger is wrong. It says "Hold at least 3 objectives at scenario end" however if you at any turn end during the scenario hold less than 3 objectives you lose the scenario.
I assume this is the East '44 campaign?
jn1

Post by jn1 »

Erik2 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:41 pm
jn1 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:17 pm Germany East scenario 2 "Korsun Breakout". The main victory condition trigger is wrong. It says "Hold at least 3 objectives at scenario end" however if you at any turn end during the scenario hold less than 3 objectives you lose the scenario.
I assume this is the East '44 campaign?
Yes, it is. Also when you come to the crossroads after "Korsun Breakout" scenario the text messages are not shown correctly (English version) when you're faced with the choice between the "Narva" and "Jassy-Kishinev" scenarios.
Parkingtigers
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Parkingtigers »

Just discovered this game two days ago, have downloaded all these campaigns and I'm immensely grateful for all the work that has gone into them. Looking forward to some good times. Couple of provisional notes:

1/ Desert Rats scenario 1 - the primary objective says "prevent any truck from leaving the map 0/1". I took it to mean "blow up at least one truck", and was wondering why the counter wasn't updating despite having blown up several. Then a truck made it off the map and I got a "you failed" campaign end message which took me utterly by surprise. Not a good first impression.

I would recommend you change it to read "Do not allow any truck to leave the map" which removes the ambiguity.

2/ Forgotten Army scenario 2 - Stanley is labled on the map as "Port Stanley". This needs to be changed to just "Stanley", or "Stanley Fort" if you want the objective clearly to be the defensive position there. It's not a port, and "Port Stanley" is in the Falkland Islands and is associated with the Falklands War. (Now my brain is wondering if my tired old eyes misread "Fort" as "Port" on the map, but either way it would need changing to after the name of the place, not before. It's Stanley Fort, nobody calls it Fort Stanley.)

3/ Forgotten Army scenario 1 - a small thing, but the train station on the southern tip of the Kowloon peninsula is on the wrong side. It should be on the bottom left hex, not the bottom right. It's where the clock tower still remains at the Star Ferry terminal today. As a Hongkonger, I can't let that go unmentioned.

The scenario was a little odd in that it runs for 35 turns, as after getting flanked on the mainland my forces there got wiped out. I still had the scenario saying "evacuate 2 units to Hong Kong" when there was no way for my cut off troops to even reach a boat, limping along without supply until they were hunted down. Once they died, I realised I could reform them in Hong Kong itself, then evacuate them directly. Which all seems a bit... pointless. Kind of feels like it would be easier to have the scenario be 20 turns long, and either you've held some of those 3 objectives, or lost them all. Just end it there with any kind of win/loss condition with everyone pulling back to the main island for the next scenario no matter what. An extra 15 turns of running down the clock doesn't add anything, it was a waste of time and it encourages suiciding the units to free up command points to "teleport" them across the harbour, which was only possible because of the 15 extra turns of accumulated requisition points...
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

1) I don't understand how 'prevent any trucks from leaving the map' can be interpreted as 'kill trucks'. The counter counts the number of trucks that have exited, thus it only needs to count to 1 before the objective fails.

2+3) Added to my Forgotten Army notes. Thanks. BTW, the location was/is labeled Port Stanley on the old map I used as a template.
Parkingtigers

Post by Parkingtigers »

Erik2 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:04 pm 1) I don't understand how 'prevent any trucks from leaving the map' can be interpreted as 'kill trucks'. The counter counts the number of trucks that have exited, thus it only needs to count to 1 before the objective fails.
That's the thing, it doesn't say "prevent any truckS", it says prevent any truck, singular. That, along with the objective counter usually being used to count things you are trying to do, implies that that all you have to do is... well, prevent any (one) truck from leaving.

It's an ambiguity in English. The same way bi-weekly can mean both twice in one week, or once every two weeks. It's not wrong, it just can be read two different ways that are both correct in two different ways.

1/ Prevent any trucks from leaving.
2/ Prevent all trucks from leaving.
3/ Do not allow any trucks to leave.

These are all unambiguous terms, though the first of those is still not as clearly defined as the others. Options 2 or 3 are stronger and clearer in the messaging.

On a separate, but related note, upon replaying the scenario it does feel like it would be more fun to have the objective be to kill, say 75% of the trucks. There was... I want to say 8 trucks in that convoy? Now I knew what to do, it was much more about building a blocking force to specifically rush and block the exit point rather than pouncing on a convoy for some opportunistic kills. It felt like I had to play the scenario, fail it once, and then build a force with the advance knowledge of what I was going to be facing. But that's all scenario designer's choice of course.
stevefprice
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stevefprice »

1v1 Operation Konrad I 1945 1.2

Briefing and objectives all just default to tag name - objective_2_0 etc...

I also note if using the micro-mod, if looking at MP games all are listed twice, once with a gold star next to it and the other with the silver one.

I may have installed incorrectly but it looks ok, just all under the Mods folder instead.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

stevefprice wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:50 am 1v1 Operation Konrad I 1945 1.2

Briefing and objectives all just default to tag name - objective_2_0 etc...

I also note if using the micro-mod, if looking at MP games all are listed twice, once with a gold star next to it and the other with the silver one.

I may have installed incorrectly but it looks ok, just all under the Mods folder instead.
KarisFraMauro and I noticed these issues when play-testing the Konrad scenarios.
Usually the gold star scenarios are the official ones while the custom scenarios get the silver stars. I suspect the game is not handling the modded scenarios properly, duplicating the entries.
I also suspect either the gold or the silver version is not displaying the objective txts. Do you remember if the challenge was created using gold or silver version?
Try and create a silver challenge and I'll pick it up. Then we can find out if gold or silver should be used and I'll create a bug issue.

Erik
stevefprice

Post by stevefprice »

Erik2 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:36 am
Try and create a silver challenge and I'll pick it up. Then we can find out if gold or silver should be used and I'll create a bug issue.

Erik

Created 2 as I could not recall.

In gold star I'm German player
In silver star I'm Russian player

Take both and we can see :)
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Grey star version looks fine. If you like we can continue playing this.

If gold star has issues we should simply resign that version.
stevefprice

Post by stevefprice »

Erik2 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:45 am

[/quote]

Grey star version looks fine. If you like we can continue playing this.

If gold star has issues we should simply resign that version.
[/quote]

Yeap, Gold star is the one with the issue. I'll bin it and we can continue with gray :) Ooh... I'm nervous now :mrgreen:
Smirnoff
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Smirnoff »

Playiny the Pacific Solo Campaign in Micromod 2. 3rd Scenario 'Port Moresby' in 12 turns (of 45) in and cannot deploy any of the American forces, no deployment hexes shown when a ship/aircraft is clicked on. The US subs deployed ok turn one. Am I doing something wrong? Does the US deployement come after turn 12?

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”