Order of Battle Moderator

US Corps 1944-45 1.1

Post by Erik2 »

US Corps 1944-45 1.1
Link updated in first post

Campaign:
Fixed import from US Corps 1943-44 campaign

Omaha:
Fixed US pri obj (taking 6 instead of 5 objs)
Increased experience of all German units from 2 to 3
Increased fortification levels of German forward units with 1 point
Added fortification 4 to bunkers
Decreased aux Allied naval and air unit exp from 4 to 3
Increased German resource income to same as Allied.
Added German attack orders

Cotentin:
Changed pri coast obj
Fixed sec LW obj
The German SPAT somehow managed to get stuck by itself, not by deployment

Carentan:
Fixed sec 100 resources obj

Cherbourg:
Changed pri obj to scenario end
Changed sec obj
Erik2

Germany West 41-43 1.6

Post by Erik2 »

Germany West 41-43 1.6

Fixed scenarios with possible early ending issues.
Erik2

US Navy Campaign 3.2

Post by Erik2 »

US Navy Campaign 3.2

Fixed possible early scenario ending issues.
Erik2

Forgotten Army 1941-42 1.0

Post by Erik2 »

Forgotten Army 1941-42 1.0

Campaign/general:
Added Choose Path event
Fixed Moulmein date and branching
Added default victory/defeat blurb
Set Japanese aggression to 75

Task Force X:
Fixed possible early ending

Gin Drinkers Line:
Added Jap air exit (the AI won't redeploy air units)
Added AI pri objs
Fixed pri objs
Removed flag at Hong Kong

Hong Kong:
Fixed pri objs
Added evac graphic
Simplified evac objs to evacuating at least 1 Brit and 1 Indian core unit
Added flag and location name to evac point
The original Hong Kong scenario included the previous scenario Gin Drinkers line. It was also created using a beta version of OOB (bad idea)
Removed remnant stuff after map crop
Changed all AI scripting after map crop
Erik2

Germany West 44 1.0

Post by Erik2 »

Germany West 44 1.0
Download link in first post.

After a long and exhaustive CSI-sweep by everybody's favourite sweeper Bruce this campaign is finally published.
A big thank you to bru888 as usual. It must take the man almost as much time sweeping my campaigns as creating them :wink:

Have fun and please report back in this thread any issues you find.
Erik
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Us Corps 43-44

Post by GabeKnight »

Nice! :D 8)

Screenshot 24.jpg
Screenshot 24.jpg (969.84 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Us Corps 43-44

Post by terminator »

GabeKnight wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 pm Nice! :D 8)
A 4K Screenshot ? Very difficult to read the text :(
DoctorCreepy
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Erik's campaigns

Post by DoctorCreepy »

Excellent work. Thank You!
ctskelly
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ctskelly »

US Corps, 44-45 Comments

My deepest thanks for this campaign too, to both Erik and Bru. Each scenario has its quirks and secrets, and I think it is the best in the OOB universe. I admit, I could not win the last 5 or so without selling warbonds. As Dwight pointed out, you can win and save RPs by going slow and blasting carefully, but there are not enough turns, or you can win by aggressive tactics and finish by the the scenario end, but there aren't enough RPs. And how sad it is to have a huge pile of RPs, such as at Aachen that you have to squander to win the scenario in time. This is not a complaint. It's praise, that will keep me doing this campaign again and again until I can solve those problems. By the way, I like the secondary objectives that give you RPs. You have to consider whether the price you pay for getting them will be higher than the bonus.

Some tweaks needed:

Sangt Vith scenario, elimination choice, victory conditions
In making elimination or evacuation choice, the screen says you have to kill ALL Weremacht units to win, but then the victory conditions screen shows one of the major victory conditions is “Destroy at least 30 Wermacht units,” not all, showing the total number as it is reduced. Which is the true victory condition? It seems that even if 30 destroyed, it becomes a draw.

Tough one. Has anyone been able to win in elimination mode? I imagine with regular RPs and only 30 turns it is not possible to wipe out all the Weremacht units, especially those embedded deep in the forest or if the division near the east airport stays in place and does not join the battle. I could only kill all units so in 43 turns with extra resources.

Bastogne scenario entry map.
The map shows 2 campaigns instead of just one.

Torhau scenario, victory conditions

1) The VC is “Capture all 5 objectives” and a click on the condition takes you through the five objective cities. But actually, the airport next to Liepzig is marked with a primary objective flag, so there are really six. As a result, taking the airport and 4 other objectives, the game ends before Dresden is captured, since “5” objectives are achieved.

2) (minor) The “Eliminate all Panzer units” gives an experimental tank, but it was a bit confusing that it did not appear until the next scenario. Maybe add “in the next scenario” at the end of the objective description, “Get an experimental XX tank…”

Wargames & Operation scenarios
1) (minor) Intro window. There are two windows, “Cold War” and “Hot War” Neither has graphics.

2) (minor) It took me a few times through to notice the second circle for the Wargames scenario option, since it is way off to the right.

Again, thanks. I appreciate how this campaign steered me away from the book I have to write and added to my sleep deprivation. I can't wait to retire and learn how to use the editor.
tula1959
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

UScorps44-45 04Cotentin stranded unit!?

Post by tula1959 »

Played this one last night - there is a Jagdpanther stranded in a spot it could never have moved to or from!!?? It was deployed there from the start ….. felt so sorry for it that I could not bring myself to destroy it...LOL I assume it was deployed there by oversight??? By the way, in these Normandy scenarios I also assume all of that rough desert and sand terrain was used to represent the dreaded Bocage nightmare.....but it sure makes me feel like I am back in North Africa....LOL
Screenshot (19).jpg
Screenshot (19).jpg (553.87 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
GabeKnight

Re: Us Corps 43-44

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:50 am A 4K Screenshot ? Very difficult to read the text :(
Yeah, tell me about it... :roll:

And it's not even full 2160p, just 1440p. With full 4K it's virtually impossible to read the UI and text. I'm hoping for UI scaling to arrive with the console version. I hope... :?
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ctskelly wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:51 am Sangt Vith scenario, elimination choice, victory conditions
In making elimination or evacuation choice, the screen says you have to kill ALL Weremacht units to win, but then the victory conditions screen shows one of the major victory conditions is “Destroy at least 30 Wermacht units,” not all, showing the total number as it is reduced. Which is the true victory condition? It seems that even if 30 destroyed, it becomes a draw.

Tough one. Has anyone been able to win in elimination mode? I imagine with regular RPs and only 30 turns it is not possible to wipe out all the Weremacht units, especially those embedded deep in the forest or if the division near the east airport stays in place and does not join the battle. I could only kill all units so in 43 turns with extra resources.
In the CSI sweep thread, I recommended this choice and description, which dovetailed with the original two objectives involved:

Screenshot 9.jpg
Screenshot 9.jpg (146.16 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 2609 times

Instead, Erik chose to do this:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (221.41 KiB) Viewed 2609 times

which was facilitated by changing this trigger to indeed require the elimination of all non-Waffen SS land units:

Screenshot 0.jpg
Screenshot 0.jpg (225.46 KiB) Viewed 2609 times

but as you can see, Erik neglected to change the mission itself, which called for only 30 German army units to be eliminated. FWIW, I happen to agree with you that "Eliminate all Wehrmacht ground units" is not a realistic objective - hunting down and eliminating the Waffen SS is tough enough - but it's Erik's scenario and he likes to make his work challenging.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ctskelly wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:51 am Bastogne scenario entry map.
The map shows 2 campaigns instead of just one.
You will have to elaborate on this; maybe please provide a screenshot. The lead-in and start-up of Bastogne appeared normal to me:

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (371.74 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (503.01 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
ctskelly wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:51 am Torhau scenario, victory conditions

1) The VC is “Capture all 5 objectives” and a click on the condition takes you through the five objective cities. But actually, the airport next to Liepzig is marked with a primary objective flag, so there are really six. As a result, taking the airport and 4 other objectives, the game ends before Dresden is captured, since “5” objectives are achieved.

2) (minor) The “Eliminate all Panzer units” gives an experimental tank, but it was a bit confusing that it did not appear until the next scenario. Maybe add “in the next scenario” at the end of the objective description, “Get an experimental XX tank…”
1) Good eye, ctskelly!

Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

2) I don't see why this wouldn't have worked and have been instantaneous; I can see nothing wrong with the trigger. However, it spawns way back here, in the west, and by the time you achieved this objective, you were probably far to the east. Perhaps you missed it? (There's no Event Popup to point it out to you.):

Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (502.07 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

It spawns as a core unit, so that is why you did see it in the next scenario.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ctskelly wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:51 am Wargames & Operation scenarios
1) (minor) Intro window. There are two windows, “Cold War” and “Hot War” Neither has graphics.

2) (minor) It took me a few times through to notice the second circle for the Wargames scenario option, since it is way off to the right.

Again, thanks. I appreciate how this campaign steered me away from the book I have to write and added to my sleep deprivation. I can't wait to retire and learn how to use the editor.
1) Yeah, I don't know what he is doing. Usually, at what he calls a "crossroad" (a choice between two or more scenarios to continue a campaign), he displays one of his now-famous signposts. He did so here:

Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (195.52 KiB) Viewed 2602 times

But instead of using the other signpost image for this "crossroad," he went "hot and cold" on us:

Screenshot10.jpg
Screenshot10.jpg (201.61 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Screenshot 8.jpg
Screenshot 8.jpg (190.75 KiB) Viewed 2602 times

and neither of those images are in the campaign folder:

Image0053.jpg
Image0053.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 2602 times

2) Yes, it's just a slim silver ring until clicked and in this case, the player then needs to realize that the scenario ring is obscured by the Soviet flag being placed exactly inside of it:

Screenshot 11.jpg
Screenshot 11.jpg (71.96 KiB) Viewed 2602 times

whereas in other setups, the scenario ring is quite apparent:

Screenshot 12.jpg
Screenshot 12.jpg (70.37 KiB) Viewed 2602 times

This, of course, is not Erik's doing. Indeed, by providing those "crossroad" popup messages, he is calling the player's attention to the choice at hand. The game itself should do a better job of this.
ctskelly wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:51 am I appreciate how this campaign steered me away from the book I have to write and added to my sleep deprivation. I can't wait to retire and learn how to use the editor.
Heh, be careful what you wish for. Right now, it's only sleep deprivation. Once you get into those editors, you could be experiencing quality of life issues! ;)

Thanks for the feedback.
- Bru
bru888

Re: UScorps44-45 04Cotentin stranded unit!?

Post by bru888 »

tula1959 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:11 pm Played this one last night - there is a Jagdpanther stranded in a spot it could never have moved to or from!!?? It was deployed there from the start ….. felt so sorry for it that I could not bring myself to destroy it...LOL I assume it was deployed there by oversight??? By the way, in these Normandy scenarios I also assume all of that rough desert and sand terrain was used to represent the dreaded Bocage nightmare.....but it sure makes me feel like I am back in North Africa....LOL
Screenshot (19).jpg
Screenshot (19).jpg (120.95 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
tula, please make sure that you are playing the latest version, 1.1. I say this because I had pointed out this orphan and a few others in the CSI sweep thread:

Image0054.jpg
Image0054.jpg (361.74 KiB) Viewed 2594 times

and in version 1.1, I see that he has assigned this unit to an AI team and taken care of the others as well:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (340.43 KiB) Viewed 2594 times

And yes, he had mentioned to me before the sweep that he was using "Rough Desert" to stand in for bocage, "the wooded countryside characteristic of northern France, with small irregular-shaped fields and many hedges and copses." That's copses, nor corpses. :roll: Anyway, we're both hoping that a future DLC featuring the action that took place after Normandy will have a new bocage terrain, just as "Rough Desert" appeared with the release of Sandstorm.
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

The Ai assignment doesn't matter in this case as the Jagdpanther can neither enter nor attack units on "rough desert" hexes (and it's surrounded by them).
It's basically the same as putting him on static defense or idle.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

GabeKnight wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:18 am The Ai assignment doesn't matter in this case as the Jagdpanther can neither enter nor attack units on "rough desert" hexes (and it's surrounded by them).
It's basically the same as putting him on static defense or idle.
Ah, good catch, Gabe. Then perhaps tula does have version 1.1 and that is the answer instead - the tank can only go back and forth on the two farm hexes. Indeed, it needs a path out of there. I wonder if any other armored units are stranded thusly by the "bocage."

Speaking of which, Erik, I wonder if using a combination of forest terrain and escarpments might be a better idea. You could have more control over making lines and corridors of hedges.

Escarpments block all unit movement, however, IIRC. If you want to block just armored, maybe use dense forest instead, without escarpments? That would look more like hedges than sand dunes, anyway.

bocage.jpg
bocage.jpg (332.79 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
- Bru
tula1959
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tula1959 »

Hey guys! I am indeed using the 1.1update!!! So Erik intended to "static" this unit??? Perhaps he just failed to fix in the 1.1 update by oversight, the poor guy has too much to do with all the little bits and pieces we all keep finding for him!?
bru888

Post by bru888 »

tula1959 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:01 pm Hey guys! I am indeed using the 1.1update!!! So Erik intended to "static" this unit??? Perhaps he just failed to fix in the 1.1 update by oversight, the poor guy has too much to do with all the little bits and pieces we all keep finding for him!?
Please read Gabe's post in which he identifies the true cause of the tank's lack of movement.
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Re hedgehow replacement.

Using dense forest may look better, but it will be slightly harder to identify which hexes should be replaced with real bocage if/when we get that.
There are a few dense forests on most maps already.
But as long as I hold onto those templates I should be fine.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”