Duplex's Scenarios and Campaigns

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Duplex's Scenarios

Post by ColonelY »

Adding some of the famous Flying Tigers?! I would vote yes without any hesitation at all. :D
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

So, a Chinese Civil War campaign (1927-1935) may possibly come later, there is still hope, which is great. :D But let's talk a little from another topic, shall we? :wink:

:idea: So, what about creating anoter campaign, based on the work already done with the "China Series"?

:arrow: Making a singleplayer version of the "Shangai 1939" would then allow to incorporate this scenario into a Chinese campaign containing all scenarios of the "China Series" (Shanghai, BeiPing, The Great Manchurian Offensive, Hong Kong, Harbin, Dalian, ...). :D
Last edited by ColonelY on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

These scenarios contain a lot of good content, a nice amount of flavor, as well as a lot of really interesting events... In short, I'm quite sure it would be worth it to make it a full-fledged campaign. And that way, I think more people would have the opportunity to maybe discover these scenarios and so to appreciate them. :D

But, of course, it's up to you. :wink:
Duplex
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Duplex »

Mascarenhas wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:07 pm Well, after your suggestion, I've been trying the Manchurian Offensive, 1942. I must declare my very limited knowledge about the Sino-Japanese War, not to mention a shameful ignorance of Chinese history at large. Playing this one even stimulated me to read something about this specific period and some events that occurred by then. This said, about the scenario properly, I had fun playing this one and made me wonder how many others could be developed about such critical conflict, which had a pivotal role on shaping modern China and had consequences still resounding in our days. I congratulate you on focusing on this war.
Thanks for playing! The intent of the China Series is to an extent bring a bit more light on the Second Sino-Japanese War, so it's great that you took the time to learn a little more about that! The China Series I've created is 100% ahistorical though, and focuses on a resurgent China, which imo is more fun than being kicked around by the Japanese all the time. Although maybe doing some actual historical scenarios in the future might be cool..
Mascarenhas wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:07 pm 1 At the tactical level, a bit more resources for the Chinese side - in exchange for the almost unlimited numbers of troops that floods the battle scene, maybe too late to see real action. Air unit almost useless, since there's no available airstrip between SiPing and Changchun (maybe that air camp destroyed en route between the cities could be converted in a conquerable airstrip - as did Erik at Market Garden)
Good suggestion with the "more resources, less units". I think I just might do a bit of tweaking to change that. I made these scenarios more than a year ago and needless to say the earlier ones, like the Manchurian Offensive, are not as good as some of my more recent ones, like Berlin and DaLian. I'll get to work updating the Manchurian Offensive for any future players. The air unit on the other hand, I will probably keep as is because the Chinese Air Force was more or less useless during the Sino-Japanese War anyways.
Mascarenhas wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:07 pm 2 At the historical level, I feel the absence of PLA - unless I should consider that it is represented by the "Chinese Partisans" faction, in which case it could be identified as such and have their specific flag icon.
At the historical level, the PLA's role was so limited that their effects are negligible, and thus are not included anywhere in my China Series.
Mascarenhas wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:07 pm Also, for the sake of flavor; I'd add a squadron or two of the Flying Tigers and perhaps Allied bombers which seems to have given some help in the theatre, especially after Peral Harbor.
ColonelY wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:05 pm Adding some of the famous Flying Tigers?! I would vote yes without any hesitation at all. :D
They appear in Harbin 1943! The Manchurian Offensive was a bit too early for p40s imo.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

ColonelY wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:18 pm So, a Chinese Civil War campaign (1927-1935) may possibly come later, there is still hope, which is great. :D But let's talk a little from another topic, shall we? :wink:

:idea: So, what about creating anoter campaign, based on the work already done with the "China Series"?

:arrow: Making a singleplayer version of the "Shangai 1939" would then allow to incorporate this scenario into a Chinese campaign containing all scenarios of the "China Series" (Shanghai, BeiPing, The Great Manchurian Offensive, Hong Kong, Harbin, Dalian, ...). :D
Mmmmm, I'm not sure about the Civil War Campaign ever coming...maybe it will...but maybe I'll be lazy to finish it XD. :oops:

Making a campaign out of the China Series is a good idea, and definitely something I've thought about. But in the end it does kind of come down to whether or not I want to spend the effort to go and make a campaign out of it. At the moment, I don't really feel like doing it, which I'm sure is a disappointment to many. There's just a lot of the logistics of putting together a campaign out of scenarios that are already geared to be standalone (but linked in a story sense) that I'm not really familiar with, as I haven't messed with the campaign creator much. Finally, I don't want to put out a product that isn't the way I want it to be, and unfortunately, I feel that if I made a campaign out of the China Series, I would not be very happy with it.

Thanks for showing interest though! It means a lot. :D
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Mascarenhas
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Mascarenhas »

Great Duplex, I feel the answer for this is cooperation. Some of us have the ability to do the trick,if you allow, and surely keep control of the content to be published . Not me, unfortunately, because I'm hopeless in editing, but surely would be honored if I could help as a tester.
rafdobrowolski
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by rafdobrowolski »

Duplex wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:32 pm
ColonelY wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:18 pm So, a Chinese Civil War campaign (1927-1935) may possibly come later, there is still hope, which is great. :D But let's talk a little from another topic, shall we? :wink:

Mmmmm, I'm not sure about the Civil War Campaign ever coming...maybe it will...but maybe I'll be lazy to finish it XD. :oops:

Making a campaign out of the China Series is a good idea, and definitely something I've thought about. But in the end it does kind of come down to whether or not I want to spend the effort to go and make a campaign out of it. At the moment, I don't really feel like doing it, which I'm sure is a disappointment to many. There's just a lot of the logistics of putting together a campaign out of scenarios that are already geared to be standalone (but linked in a story sense) that I'm not really familiar with, as I haven't messed with the campaign creator much. Finally, I don't want to put out a product that isn't the way I want it to be, and unfortunately, I feel that if I made a campaign out of the China Series, I would not be very happy with it.

Thanks for showing interest though! It means a lot. :D
Would be great to see. One thing I love about OOB is that opened the door to lesser known fields of conflict during the time around the Second World War. I, for one, would love to see a campaign focused on China.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:16 am
Duplex wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:32 pm Thanks for showing interest though! It means a lot. :D
Would be great to see. One thing I love about OOB is that opened the door to lesser known fields of conflict during the time around the Second World War. I, for one, would love to see a campaign focused on China.
I've tried for ages to "push" him to do a campaign out of his scens, but so far... :cry:

And I'd like to help, too, but my knowledge of the campaign editor and, most importantly, my knowledge in building/balancing campaigns is not good enough.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Unfortunately, neither are mine. :( But it's certain that there are people in this forum who are extremely qualified for this... :D Indeed another option to consider, just in case. :wink:

And I could at least help as well later as Beta Tester. :D

Duplex wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm [...]
Mascarenhas wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:07 pm Also, for the sake of flavor; I'd add a squadron or two of the Flying Tigers and perhaps Allied bombers which seems to have given some help in the theatre, especially after Peral Harbor.
ColonelY wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:05 pm Adding some of the famous Flying Tigers?! I would vote yes without any hesitation at all. :D
They appear in Harbin 1943! The Manchurian Offensive was a bit too early for p40s imo.
They do appear in a scenario which takes place in 1943? :o

But, according to wiki, the Flying Tigers have been active from 1941 (April) to 1942 only (the 4th July 1942, this group has been dissolved)...

The Manchurian Offensive in 1942... a bit "too early" for P40s? :shock:

Available P40 (Warhawk) models in OoB:
1. P40 from 07.03.1941;
2. P40F from 20.1.1942;
3. P40K from 7.8.1942.

So, the last one can't probably appear from start (of The Manchurian Offensive scenario, I mean), but for the two others it shouldn't be much of a problem, should it? :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Precision(s): 8)

US neutrality laws make the US military air support operation to China against the Japanese illegal. This is why the famous Flying Tigers were (at first) merely "mercenaries"...

But later, as the situation evolved, the United States Army Air Forces began to officially take over. Chennault (boss of the Flying Tigers!) took over the responsibility of the China Air Task Force, taking over the service in the American army. On the 4th July 1942, the American Volunteer Group (AVG) was officially disbanded and replaced by the 23d Fighter Group of the China Task Force.

Ok, so AFTER July 42, the "Flying Tigers" were still flying in the skies over China (perhaps under a different name, but I think then it's still best to let them keep this well-known name - that all these fierce pilots wanted to keep anyway). :wink:

:arrow: So, in conclusion I would say it's perfectly fine to have some Flying Tigers in Harbin 1943, but some of them should as well appear during The Manchurian Offensive. :D
Last edited by ColonelY on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:44 am, edited 7 times in total.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

I've just made a little research... There are indeed many opportunities to create great scenarios about the Second Sino-Japanese War, for example:

There was four "Battle(s) of Changsha":

1. 17 September 1939 – 6 October 1939, where it was the first major city to successfully repel Japanese advances;

2. 6 September – 8 October 1941, the Japan's second (failed) attempt at taking the city of Changsha, the capital of Hunan Province;

3. 24 December 1941 – 15 January 1942, this (third) battle was the first major offensive in China by Imperial Japanese forces following the Japanese attack on the Western Allies... Chinese forces were able to lure the Japaneses into a trap and encircle them. After suffering heavy casualties, Japanese forces were forced to carry out a general retreat;

4. The last battle, where the Japanese managed to take the city in 1944...

It was part of Operation Ichi-Go, a large-scale operation involving several big battles (more info here for instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ichi-Go)

Later, when Changsha has Fallen, then the next target becomes the city of Hengyang, which faced two Japanese invasions, if I'm not mystaken, in what will be known as the "Defense of Hengyang"...

:arrow: Well, well, here are some scenario ideas that could also be developed in the superb "China Series". :idea:
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

Yeah, the nickname "Flying Tigers"was kept even after the volunteer group was replaced by regular American airmen. Anyway, I'd suggest the Chinese campaign proposal could be placed in queue for later development.
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Handing over my scenarios for someone else to make a campaign out of might be a good idea at some point. I could consider it, but I'm certain I won't be making one myself.
ColonelY wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:13 am I've just made a little research... There are indeed many opportunities to create great scenarios about the Second Sino-Japanese War, for example:

There was four "Battle(s) of Changsha":

1. 17 September 1939 – 6 October 1939, where it was the first major city to successfully repel Japanese advances;

2. 6 September – 8 October 1941, the Japan's second (failed) attempt at taking the city of Changsha, the capital of Hunan Province;

3. 24 December 1941 – 15 January 1942, this (third) battle was the first major offensive in China by Imperial Japanese forces following the Japanese attack on the Western Allies... Chinese forces were able to lure the Japaneses into a trap and encircle them. After suffering heavy casualties, Japanese forces were forced to carry out a general retreat;

4. The last battle, where the Japanese managed to take the city in 1944...

It was part of Operation Ichi-Go, a large-scale operation involving several big battles (more info here for instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ichi-Go)

Later, when Changsha has Fallen, then the next target becomes the city of Hengyang, which faced two Japanese invasions, if I'm not mystaken, in what will be known as the "Defense of Hengyang"...

:arrow: Well, well, here are some scenario ideas that could also be developed in the superb "China Series". :idea:
There are indeed great scenarios that could be made out of the few Chinese victories that occurred during the Second SinoJapanese War, and I'm pretty familiar with the Changsha ones. However, if I do make them, it wouldn't be part of the China Series. The point of the China series is that it is a 100% ahistorical Chinese resurgence starting in 1939. That was done for two reasons:
1. It allowed me to create many many scenarios in which the Chinese were actually winning, and it was cool to see how a resurgent China would play out, and
2. It wouldn't conflict with any official content were the Artistocrats to put out a China DLC (Which I still hope is coming someday!!!!!!), because if there is any official DLC, it will certainly include all the historical scenarios, such as Changsha and Taierzhuang.

Thus, as a custom scenario creator, it made more sense for me to focus on things that *might* not appear in DLC (maybe it won't, but I can always hope!).
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Hong Kong 1942 v1.4.0: 8)

I've just played this great scenario. No big issue found. Here are few comments, suggestions, etc.

-> Event "Japanese Attacks": :idea:
What about adding within the text something like: "While fighting is still raging in Hong Kong, the Japanese have also landed troops and attacked HuiYang, which is to the Northeast (out of your map!). Therefore, we must drastically reduce your RP income to send more reinforcements there. Also, if you could spare us some more units, that would be great.|NEW OBJECTIVE ADDED."

1. Well, for "crystalclearness" sakes, if I may say so... after having read this, I was indeed looking (in the correct direction, yes :lol: ) to find a town named "HuiYang" or some indications of an actual landing (with new colored borders there or something)... So, what about directly letting the player know that, even if this happens nearby and will have an impact on this scenario, it's right now NOT on the map and that it's (perfectly) normal?

2. There is indeed a new obj, namely "Exit 4 Units", coming with a time limit (which is perfect in itself!), so better not "miss" this info! :wink:
(But of course lowercase/uppercase, it's up to you.)
-> Descr of this obj (the "Exit 4 Units", I mean): :idea: Again, what about adding maybe in the text "#Exit whichever units you want (I advise you exit the weakest ones and be aware that AT-guns are pretty rare right now). Do this before turn 15. It will help later on."

Why? Because there is a single unit available, relatively slow to move, so likely to be evacuated (especially if the player didn't notice directly this new obj :roll: ) and we won't get any AT unit back later anyway, so, well, why not?
-> About the last of the "Japanese Attack" events... The text is the following: "The Japanese have broken through our defenses to the Northeast (HuiYang) and are heading toward ShenZhen. You have to stop them."
Well, I've seen them moving towards TaiPo (-> South of their "starting" area) instead of moving towards ShenZhen (-> West)...

1. Is this on purpose? :o Is there some surprise in terms of intel? :wink:

2. By the way, I think that there the Japanese could receive maybe 2/3 extra infantry units... And maybe those 2/3 inf could actually move westwards (i.e. towards ShenZhen, as warned!) while the others do the same things/have the same orders than now... This will "respond" to these two last points, won't it? :idea:
-> There is an element that is (really) missing now: There is not a single picture to accompany the events and the final results (like "Major Victory", etc.). :shock: You should add some, it will directly enhance the flavor as well. :D This also applies to ALL the current scenarios of the China Series.
Just in case, one can find many pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=374&t=85746

'Hope it helps. :wink: Thanks, keep up the good work :D
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

ColonelY wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:28 pm Hong Kong 1942 v1.4.0: 8)

I've just played this great scenario. No big issue found. Here are few comments, suggestions, etc.

-> Event "Japanese Attacks": :idea:
What about adding within the text something like: "While fighting is still raging in Hong Kong, the Japanese have also landed troops and attacked HuiYang, which is to the Northeast (out of your map!). Therefore, we must drastically reduce your RP income to send more reinforcements there. Also, if you could spare us some more units, that would be great.|NEW OBJECTIVE ADDED."

1. Well, for "crystalclearness" sakes, if I may say so... after having read this, I was indeed looking (in the correct direction, yes :lol: ) to find a town named "HuiYang" or some indications of an actual landing (with new colored borders there or something)... So, what about directly letting the player know that, even if this happens nearby and will have an impact on this scenario, it's right now NOT on the map and that it's (perfectly) normal?

2. There is indeed a new obj, namely "Exit 4 Units", coming with a time limit (which is perfect in itself!), so better not "miss" this info! :wink:
(But of course lowercase/uppercase, it's up to you.)
-> Descr of this obj (the "Exit 4 Units", I mean): :idea: Again, what about adding maybe in the text "#Exit whichever units you want (I advise you exit the weakest ones and be aware that AT-guns are pretty rare right now). Do this before turn 15. It will help later on."

Why? Because there is a single unit available, relatively slow to move, so likely to be evacuated (especially if the player didn't notice directly this new obj :roll: ) and we won't get any AT unit back later anyway, so, well, why not?
-> About the last of the "Japanese Attack" events... The text is the following: "The Japanese have broken through our defenses to the Northeast (HuiYang) and are heading toward ShenZhen. You have to stop them."
Well, I've seen them moving towards TaiPo (-> South of their "starting" area) instead of moving towards ShenZhen (-> West)...

1. Is this on purpose? :o Is there some surprise in terms of intel? :wink:

2. By the way, I think that there the Japanese could receive maybe 2/3 extra infantry units... And maybe those 2/3 inf could actually move westwards (i.e. towards ShenZhen, as warned!) while the others do the same things/have the same orders than now... This will "respond" to these two last points, won't it? :idea:
-> There is an element that is (really) missing now: There is not a single picture to accompany the events and the final results (like "Major Victory", etc.). :shock: You should add some, it will directly enhance the flavor as well. :D This also applies to ALL the current scenarios of the China Series.
Just in case, one can find many pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=374&t=85746

'Hope it helps. :wink: Thanks, keep up the good work :D
Thanks for playing through my scenario, and I appreciate the feedback! Clarifying the first attack on Huiyang is definitely something I'll do. Strengthening the breakthrough at HuiYang is also something I will consider. I will also look into how I scripted the AI, because they should definitely be heading towards ShenZhen, not south!

No pictures for any event is intentional. I'm too lazy to include them.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Update v1.3.0 for Great Manchurian Offensive is here!
Thanks to some quality community feedback, we've got some very good changes:
- Significantly reduced the amount of units for both sides (this helps both with gameplay and performance, so some more people might be able to run this map now)
- Japanese units have a lot more experience now
- Increased RP income for both sides
- Some terrain and decoration changes

The balancing and gameplay should be much better now! All feedback is appreciated.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Great Manchurian Offensive v1.3.0: 8)

An excellent, interesting, and challenging scenario… a bridge could be blown or not, a Japanese tank perhaps captured, there are some cargo trucks to capture… great content!

Well, of course, in terms of flavor, it would be better to have pictures for the events… :roll:

Major Victory achieved (level 3) on the 78th turn out of 95 turns. -> I think you can safely shave off 5 turns! :idea:

Well, I think that the very first part of the scenario doesn’t really give the "somehow usual" :wink: feeling of an Offensive (with no arty at all, no plane at all and almost no supporting ship at all, together with these Japanese rushing against our starting area). I was a little astonished too to find no friendly arty before turn 40 – but they come later and it would have been pretty costly to replenish an early arty unit (which in principle wouldn’t have weighted much in the balance of forces), so it’s perfectly fine as it is! :D

Easter Egg spotted in the South-East… :wink:
Last event “Reinforcements”:

(0. This one only without a final “!”? :o )

1. “More troops are ready for combat in ChangChun. We can no longer support this level of attrition. […]” :|

Well, the actual fighting occurs in ChangChun, but these units appear in ShenYang… So, it may be a little confusing like this. :? What about maybe something like: In ShenYang, more troops are now ready for combat. Sadly, we can no longer support this level of attrition. […]” :idea:

2. By the way, in this version of the scenario, I think that this last wave should come sooner
Indeed, Major Victory during the 78th turn (‘could have done it few turns before, but wasn’t in a hurry and was cleaning the last town), but these last troops spawn on the 75th turn? :|
:idea: What about putting this event more around the 65th turn or maybe even the 70th turn?
Sure, the player will “lose” some RPs that way (with the income reduced sooner!), but it’s not a big deal because there is another nice and immersive possibility to get a little more… this leads us naturally to the next point. :wink:
Event: “YingKou Occupied
Text: “With YingKou's harbor in our hands, the Japanese ships will have to leave shortly to refuel. Then we can start using this place to import more supplies.

That's just great! But the point is that our income does NOT increase when this event is triggered, NOR when the Japanese fleet actually leave (event “Goodbye”)…

:arrow: So, to stay fully coherent, what about increasing our income by a handful of RPs when the Japs leave these waters? :idea:
We have a key unit (a great tank!) in our reserve when starting the scenario… :D So, what about mentioning it briefly within the briefing to ensure that the player won’t miss it? :wink:
Sec obj “Occupy YingKou” -> although this location is not really difficult to find, what about actually adding as well a “Red Arrow” over YingKou? :idea: (I mean, for when the player clicks on the “?”…)
Damnation, there are several units of collaborating Chinese fighting together with the Japanese! Time to teach them a lesson. :twisted:
Few very little details on obj texts: :wink:

-> “Secure the ShenYang-ChangChun Railroad” -> “#Take over the entire railroad. It's easy to find cuz there's only one railroad.” (uppercase - as all obj descr begin like this...)

-> “Kill 3 Ha-Go's” -> Either “#Stuff will happen.” (with the “.” as everywhere else, yes!) or “#Stuff will happen if you do.(like this a little wink to another obj txt form, the one about the bridge -> coherences between texts – the latter even better, I think!)
:idea: Now the main point: FLYING TIGERS! :D

This scenario would indeed be perfect to add few of them! 8)

There are really many Japanese planes storming the skies and we get (lately) only ONE single dogfighter (of a Russian model!)… during several turns, the player will see actually more enemy planes than enemy units on land… and for example all the 4 AAs guns concentrating their fire on an enemy experienced G4M1 Hamaki bomber will deal almost no damage at all to this unit during several turns… :?

I wouldn't suggest to remove any Japanese plane, but on the opposite...

The P40s are good dogfighters, even able to do some decent ground attacks as well. We’ve already seen that they could definitely have been there (in terms of availability), so, well, why not? :D

Of course, I understand that you probably don’t want :wink: to rethink all the already well-balanced income the player’ll get or to allow the player to lose (more or less willingly :lol: ) his (or her) P40s planes and use this extra cash/extra RPs for all the other units until the end of the scenario…

:idea: To avoid this issue, I suggest making these P40s appear via another allied faction, of course under the player’s command. Let’s say the Blue US flag, why not? A little wink to the origin of these dreaded pilots without getting too much explicit with the “standard” US flag. :wink:

Moreover, I suggest adding TWO :idea: units of experienced P40s (at least 2 or 3 stars directly – the pilots of the Flying Tigers were all experienced, even if they were maybe just flying over the skies of China for their very first time)…

When? :idea: Either when the first airfield on map has been captured, or simply near JinZhou after perhaps 10 to 12 turns or directly from start but then with an air exit hex and an air redeploy hex (or maybe two of each?)…
I think I would vote for the second option, which seems to me as being the easiest to implement. :wink:

Anyway, this should come with a nice event :idea: as well!

And at the end of this one, there can be a “|New objective added!”… :idea: Yes, maybe to inflict at least 30 or 40 damages to enemies (any, even not airborne, why not?). As reward, maybe some extra RPs for this faction as well...

:!: So, Duplex, what do you think about all these suggestions related to Flying Tigers? :D
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Duplex wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:40 pm [...]

No pictures for any event is intentional. I'm too lazy to include them.
Whaaat, seriously? :shock: Come on, if it’s mainly a question of finding and formatting pictures, someone could probably help you a little bit. :wink:

So, let’s consider, as example, this “Great Manchurian Offensive” scenario. :idea: Here you can find 19 pictures (all in the optimal format for OoB, i.e. PNG and 512x415): https://easyupload.io/s8h0u8
(This link will stay valid for about 2 weeks only.)

:D There are 19 pictures, in total:
-> About the end: 1 for Victory(ies), 1 for Defeat(s)
-> About the bridge: 1 if saved, 1 if blowned
-> About the Jap tank: 1 if captured
-> About the Jap navy: 1 when town taken, 1 when they leave
-> About the cargo trucks: 1 when spotted and partisans organizing themselves, 1 if failed (with Japs leaving and laughing), 1 if captured together with many strong guns
-> About the famous P40s of the Flying Tigers: 1 when they appear, 1 if sec obj success (deal at least X damages or something) and 1 if it’s a failure instead (yes, cuz :idea: 'could add for this obj, "before turn XYZ" or something, or "[...] and don't lose any/both of these Flying Tiger units.")
-> About the (many) reinforcements: 6 pictures for the 6 waves of reinf. (without forgetting that, amongst other units, there is a tankette with the 1st wave, some support guns with the 3rd, an unique dogfighter with the 4th and a Chinese cavalry unit with the 6th and last wave)

:arrow: Now, if these images are to your liking, all what is left to do now, in principle, is to put all of them in the folder of this scenario and to write exactly the name of each file in the triggers (i.e. between the event title and the event text)… And basically, that’s all, I think. 8) Like this you should already have gained some time so, well, why not giving it a try? :wink:
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

After this fine AAR from ColonelY, little I can add. Only to say that, under the present conditions , strengthened jap units and limited resources, I find difficult to reach the bridge before T45. I know nothing about the Chinese forces involved at that time, but it seems to me unrealistic to any army to engage in offensive actions without any arty at all.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Dalian 1943 v1.3.4: 8)

An excellent scenario! :D

All’s working smooth and nice, no issue found. Major Victory (at level 3, as usual) on the 39th turn (out of 50).

Spoiler alert: I think the best thing to begin this scenario is to deploy most of our units together in the North of DaLian (including all arty and ATs plus of course the Stuart) to directly counter the Japs having landed there… Once these units have been whipped out (or the majority of them at least), then all the rest will be much easier. (Without forgetting to let the AAs and about 2 inf units as garrison in DaLian and to bring back as soon as possible the Militia from the West into DaLian…) :wink:

Good and intense fighting until the 20th turn, then it was a little quieter…

There is not much I can bring for this scenario, except maybe:

1. At the end of the text of the event “More Workers”, I suggest adding a :idea: “||New objective added.” for “crystalclearness” sakes!

2. We have a nice event entitled “Northern Spearhead” warning us that “Japanese soldiers have broken through on the North flank!”… That’s perfect! But then, there is later no event warning us about the small landing on the SW around the 28th turn… :o Therefore, it may be a little something to add. :wink:

3. :idea: Move our airstrip several hexes westwards, please, for it may to easily be taken as target now by the Japanese navy (once all costal guns, bunkers and MG-foxholes spotted by the enemy are gone, but still!)… Shall this happen, our single airstrip won’t last long and then our poor nice P40s have nowhere to refuel, which means… :cry: well, everyone got it, I’m sure!

4. To add more variety and to help counter the Japanese navy, what about :idea: spawning (probably in the E-SE waters) an allied submarine before our last wave of reinforcements?
The (main) point is that once our few and depleted Coastal Guns have been destroyed, once our few and old ships have been sunk, there is just no way at all to counter these warships (and our P40s are not good at all attacking ships, it’s not even worth trying!)… A submarine won’t do much either against destroyers, but against the Japanese CA it will and that’s interesting! :wink: So, for the flavor, for adding another “new” kind of unit as well on this scenario, for having the chance to deal some blow to these remaining Japanese ships towards the middle/end of the scenario… so, well, why not? :D

5. And finally a very little detail: the scenario name should be written “DaLian” instead of “Dalian”, by coherence, according to the name on map and to the briefing (and to how you write these names in general).

Trully, it was a pleasure playing this one. :D Thanks, keep up the good work!

By the way (and this is the last time I'm writing about it if you don't act on it), if you wish some help to find pictures for events, feel free to ask. 8)

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”