Map debugging

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Map debugging

Post by Shards » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:34 pm

How have I not thought of this before!

Trying to co-ordinate a multi-pronged AI attack is hard. How have I not thought of this before so that I can track what the AI is actually doing without using the #orbitalcommand cheat and ruining the AI behaviour!

https://imgur.com/a/gNVue

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Map debugging

Post by Shards » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:35 pm

In a separate note, does anyone know exactly what the Trigger Timer condition does?

Ta

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Shards wrote:In a separate note, does anyone know exactly what the Trigger Timer condition does?

Ta
Is this a trick question? I've looked into some of your work and I am surprised that you would be asking this. :)

Anyway, according to somebody's manual: :roll:
Capture749.jpg
Capture749.jpg (268.01 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Remember, it's not necessarily just turns which can be counted and timed. It can be moves, combats, and other trigger events.
- Bru

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:21 pm

ahh, I think I'd been making the mistake of assuming it affected the "Trigger Count" variable. Don't know why, just that's what got lodged in my head :)

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Good tip with the "reveal", Shards. Thanks.
Setting it up is easy and I'm using it right now.

gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 am

Wait !!! the orbital command ruins the AI Behavior ??? I kind of got that vibe when after I was playtesting the scenario for the umpteenth time and then I did the oribital to verify a reposition then it seemed the AI stopped or something. Ok great I am going to assume when oribital is used the AI acts differently is this true ??? because it realizes the enemy can see it or it sees the enemy or something. .... Well then this reveal is fantastic better than soap. Thanks

HEY !!! is there no condition specified I assumed we always had to have a condition .. ???

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:18 am

gunnyjs wrote:Wait !!! the orbital command ruins the AI Behavior ??? [...] because it realizes the enemy can see it or it sees the enemy or something.
The way I understood it, both the player and the AI benefit from the effects of #orbital, meaning it sees all your units through the FOW *and* hidden/concealed units also.
gunnyjs wrote:HEY !!! is there no condition specified I assumed we always had to have a condition .. ???
Nope. Say a "turn start" event will happen at every turn even without a "check turn" condition.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 pm

GabeKnight wrote:Say a "turn start" event will happen at every turn even without a "check turn" condition.
I think that's correct. The way I learned it (thanks, uran21) is that the trigger counts each event very literally. So for each player there is a turn start and if you have two players, by turn three you have already four iterations of turn starts (two for each player for turns 1 and 2). If you want something to happen at the start of player B's turn 2, for example, then you put in the check turn condition and set it for player B's team, alliance, or nation. Then the trigger will properly count only player B's turn starts.
- Bru

uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:10 pm

gunnyjs wrote:HEY !!! is there no condition specified I assumed we always had to have a condition .. ???
If you do not specify condition game will threat it like condition is being met.

uran21

Post by uran21 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:59 pm

bru888 wrote:So for each player there is a turn start and if you have two players, by turn three you have already four iterations of turn starts (two for each player for turns 1 and 2).
Actually besides two alliances you would add to any scenario, for example player and AI, you do have two more that exist by default. Neutral alliance (not visible anywhere except in flags menu) and not-accesible alliance (first collum in alliances tab). This divides whole turn on 4 turn-parts. So whole turn has so many parts as there are alliances included.

gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks so much

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”