Spanish Civil War Mod & Campaign (v0.90)

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

LNDavoust
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Spanish Civil War Mod & Campaign (v0.75)

Post by LNDavoust »

Zekedia222 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:39 pm Well, I’m still playing through that scenario, but it is still there, I think. I’ll go check.
Edit: I loaded the scenario, and no more “ghost ship.”
Mmmmmm :| Ok, noted. Thanks again.
bru888 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:30 pm With this competition, The Artistocrats ought to think about adopting this mod for OOB, one way or the other.
Image0439.jpg
Yep, spaniards killing spaniards is trendy again 8)

rafdobrowolski
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by rafdobrowolski »

[/quote]

LOLLOLLOLLOL!!!!
Rick402
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rick402 »

LNDavoust wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:49 pm
Zekedia222 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:39 pm Well, I’m still playing through that scenario, but it is still there, I think. I’ll go check.
Edit: I loaded the scenario, and no more “ghost ship.”
Mmmmmm :| Ok, noted. Thanks again.
bru888 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:30 pm With this competition, The Artistocrats ought to think about adopting this mod for OOB, one way or the other.
Image0439.jpg
Yep, spaniards killing spaniards is trendy again 8)

so will you be able in the Future to play as the Nats? i cant stand these commies. yes its a game, but the marxists killed my family in real life!
asuser
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by asuser »

I fought like a man and survived the 3rd scenario … :shock:
It was like a bloodbath, because the enemy came with multiple powers, artillery and tanks. Is it ok, that out of three possible goals only Talavera remains to defend? Surprisingly, at the end I achieved a minor victory!?

A nice event was the appearance of the Legion Condor, thank goodness only with a single He51 ... and it was not flown by Adolf Galland!
LC.png
LC.png (193.11 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Btw., is it in OOB possible, like in PanzerCorps, to define a elite unit (He51/Bf109) with named “Adolf Galand” with special characteristics and to set in a scenario?

Thank God, at round 18 or so Madrid approved the deployment of reinforcements, so I can finally defend Talavera.
I think all four cities can only be defended if I get more deployment fields to start with.
rafdobrowolski

Post by rafdobrowolski »

Hello LN and all others... I finally played through the entire mod. This is such a great mod, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (with one big exception, see below) and I hope others do as well. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for making a mod that is engaging, thorough, fun, challenging, and in a setting not covered extensively by other games past and present (albeit touched on in the Panzer General series, and now seen from the Nationalists side in Panzer Corps 2). I hope others get a chance to play through it and lend you a hand with scrubbing it for more technical issues that I am not good at.

As a side-note, I played on the easiest setting (lieutenant) just to get through it since I was looking at translation and editing mistakes. As a consequence, I noticed that some of the primary or secondary objectives that require you to get a certain amount of hit points were not attainable since I easily steamrolled through some scenarios. I will go back and play through on a harder setting, but as a warning for those that are not full-on grognards and play on the lower settings, you may want to hold back on getting all objectives or totally destroying all enemy forces. This mod I think was designed to be played at the second or third difficult setting (captain or colonel). Needless to say, I had to use nukes to get a major victory a few times, had to use epiphany to get a couple of specialization points i missed out on, and officer on deck to get a few commanders that were tied to certain unmet objectives...

Here are my suggestions for edits, issues, and thoughts, in the same chronological order as the scenarios in the mod. Most of them are very minor and do not affect game play:

Main Screen of the mod, where you and I are mentioned... I think the heading for you should be something akin to "Design and Mistake-making," rather than "Designing and Mistaking," which doesn't sound right in English, although I know exactly what you mean. Of course, it is also sounds kind of funny and tongue-in-cheek, and it follows the format for "Proofreading and Editing" with two words both ending in "-ing." It is obviously up to you if you want to change it, as the mastermind, however.

There were a bunch of imported saved games in the saved games folder, which perhaps should be deleted.

The Disembark of Mallorca Scenario -

- Change the name of the scenario (where you hover over the map of Spain prior to starting the scenario and the name of the scenario pops up) to "Mallorca Disembarkation" or "Disembarkation in Mallorca," to sound correct in English.
- If you lose Son Severa after first capturing it, the primary objective check mark does not change, and you lose the scenario - unless the point is to not lose it after taking it, which should be clear in the instructions.

Extremadura Scenario -

- The second introductory briefing box - in the second paragraph, eliminate the word "for" that is found before the phrase "the Nationalist columns."
- The fifth introductory briefing box - in the first paragraph, there is an errant apostrophe after the word "Nationalist" that needs to be eliminated.
- For the secondary objective of "Retake Caceres" - in the description of the objective box, change "shaken" to "shake."
In the "Rear-guard Repression" pop-up message during game play - change the word "had" to "has"
- If you hold/retake Talavera, you still lose scenario for some reason (could be that some events did not happen because of the low difficulty setting).

West Mediterranean Scenario -

- For the Secondary Objective, in the description text, move the word "Sooner" to after the word "available."

Palma Scenario -

- On the campaign map, the scenario is titled "Alex." I am curious if that was a historical name of the operation, and intentional, or a mistake?
- What is the point of the anarchist cargo truck? As a distraction? You don't get a reward for keeping it alive it seems. Maybe an oversight, or is it really just and extra unit?
- With the objective to blow the coastal battery. perhaps it should be clearer that you need to use the guerrilleros to blow the bridge next to the battery to disable it. I know the red arrow points there but making it more explicit this is the objective could help with confusion. Saying something like blowing the bridge that doubles as the electronics installation is what the player must do, or maybe just saying that destroying the bridge that leads to the battery will incapacitate the unit. It took me a few plays to realize that I did not have to destroy the battery with the guerrilleros, but blow the bridge with them instead to achieve the objective, after wondering why the arrow pointed there and re-reading the instructions a few times.
- After the scenario, the pins indicating that you achieved certain objectives that have repercussions in the future drop down on the map of Spain. Perhaps they should drop to the location where those objectives were met? I understand this is your full discretion, and the final decision is up to you to make. Might just be a personal preference of mine to see them drop where I met the objectives.

Bilbao Scenario -

- When fighters do damage to ground units, the counter for the secondary objective for "do x damage with fighters" does not go up. It is not clear from the instructions that you mean this to mean that it is only damage to aircraft that will count.
- One really has to pay attention which ports the ships are supposed to go to, particularly in the eastern sector. Lost multiple times since the ships would show up a few turns after the dialogue box pops up, and sometimes I took a day or two off between turns. Perhaps making it clearer when the ship actually shows up where they need to go.

After the Valdemoro Scenario -

- On the campaign map, after the scenario ends, the Roosevelt pop-up box appears. I would change the last sentence to read "...that he will break from the strong American policy of isolationism to intervene in our European war that is far-removed from America."

Cartegena Scenario -

- The second secondary objective (Rescue the San Prospero) description text should be changed to either "Engage the blockade near Oran..." or to "Engage the fleet blockading Oran..."

Malaga Scenario -

- The pop-up box that describes what you need to do during the evacuation when the liaison officer appears - change the text in the parenthesis to read "In order to execute the evacuation of Malaga, exit the liaison officer towards Almeria, in order to prepare the town for the arrival of the rest of the troops."
- Also perhaps indicate the arrival of the liaison officer in some way, like with a red arrow (if possible) - if the player does not hit the "next unit" button, they could be confused and miss the scout car with the officer inside.

Guadalajara Scenario -

- In the first introductory briefing box - change "consecutives" to "consecutive"
- In the second introductory briefing box - the word "to" is misspelled as "ot."
- In the fifth introductory briefing box - change the last sentence to "Let's instead prove to Rome that we are a hard pill to swallow, one that the Italian Imperial Eagle can choke on..."
- The second secondary objective lists 5 towns that need to be recaptured (Hita, Humares, Cogollundo, Monasterio, and San Andres), but there are only 4 red arrows indicating which towns need to get captured. I think the fifth town (San Andres) is already an objective, but it would help to make it clear from the onset.
- The fourth secondary objective - change the description to include "...would be the final nail in the coffin for the Italian operation."

Pre-Cadiz/Air Raids -

- you should use "Creator's Note" instead of "Note of the author."

Air Raids Scenario -

- The first pop-up box in the introduction that occurs before you select the scenario on the map of Spain - change the text to read "...sold us a few dozen modern planes..."
- The second pop-up box - change "...for the moment..." to "...for the time being..."
- The third pop-up box - change the first sentence to read "Therefore, the time for theoretical discussions among military theorists (or you can use "strategists" instead of theorists, so as to not use the root word "theory" redundantly) has ended."
- In each of the text boxes under the primary objectives to prevent raids on Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia - change the text to read "Avoid having the supply in the Madrid (Barcelona, Valencia) area drop below 50%."
- You speak of "attainments," in both the primary and secondary objectives, but I think what you mean is "objectives." Use that word instead.

This was by far my least favorite scenario in the whole mod. It was tough to figure out for me, and a bit too much of a puzzle for a casual gamer. There is just too much going on, and it is hard to convey from the instructions what one needs to do. It was hard to plan for as well. I could see some folks liking this one, but I found it frustrating, since it was such a diversion from the other scenarios in terms of how it played. I could see this scenario needing some more refinements to make it enjoyable for me. The idea is great, but I did not like this scenario that much as it currently stands, and I ended up skipping it after a few turns. The only scenario that I did not like in the entire mod.

Cadiz Scenario -

- In the first introductory pop-up box - change "decks" to "docks."
- In the second introductory pop-up box - change "defense" to "defenses."
- In the third introductory pop-up box - change "British in the near Gibraltar" to "British nearby in Gibraltar."

This is seriously a fun mod and I am looking forward to it being entirely done! I just hope i can import my core force into the new version....
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

Rick402 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:31 am so will you be able in the Future to play as the Nats? i cant stand these commies. yes its a game, but the marxists killed my family in real life!
Your preference is perfectly understandable, Rick, i'm... well, very sorry to hear that, as shallow as that can sound :/

Unfortunately i don't have personal plans to create a campaign for the Nationalists in the short-term (in the long term who knows :) ). Fortunately for you and many others (me included) there are plans by senior OoB modders here in the forums to begin the development of nationalist scenarios and probably a campaign. Also, i know some people are trying to transfer some scenarios from the recent PanzerCorps2 to OoB. If they succed, the possibility of playing the upcoming PzC2 Spanish Civil War nationalist campaign cannot be ruled out, I guess. Finally, Uzbek left us a link for a fanmade campaign for the old Panzer Corps 1, i think both sides (natio and republicans) are playable (this one https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 40#p859415 ), i have no personally played the mod, but it seems worth a try.
asuser wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:01 pm I fought like a man and survived the 3rd scenario … :shock:
It was like a bloodbath, because the enemy came with multiple powers, artillery and tanks. Is it ok, that out of three possible goals only Talavera remains to defend? Surprisingly, at the end I achieved a minor victory!?
Yeah, Extremadura is a though one. Historically it was practically a military parade for the nationalists, so it felt right to make it hard for the player, that at the end can only slow down the enemy. The key to the scen in to block the enemys triple advance in key points (rivers and fortifications in the north and the south, and the sierra with the rough terrain in the middle) where the first marching columns can be stalled or even cut-off. I have tried more or less agressive tactics in this scene with good results. At the mid-late turns, though, the enemy pressure becomes unbearable and you will have to coordinately retreat to Talavera or you will be overrun at one of the three points. Also, there are some randomization of the attacking columns to add replay value to the scene, so some playthroughs can be a bit more difficult than others, i'm afraid :/

At some point during the scen, Asuser, High Command changes your objectives, and Talavera remains as the unique hex you have to hold to obtain a Minor Victory. A Pop Up should warn you about this change.

So, i gues by your words that you find the scene both hard and confusing? :/
asuser wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:01 pm A nice event was the appearance of the Legion Condor, thank goodness only with a single He51 ... and it was not flown by Adolf Galland!

Btw., is it in OOB possible, like in PanzerCorps, to define a elite unit (He51/Bf109) with named “Adolf Galand” with special characteristics and to set in a scenario?
It is feasible, yes :) I have an idea for a future scenario in that same sense, but there is no Galland in The Spanish Prelude (not yet, at least :) ).
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 am Hello LN and all others... I finally played through the entire mod. This is such a great mod, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (with one big exception, see below) and I hope others do as well. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for making a mod that is engaging, thorough, fun, challenging, and in a setting not covered extensively by other games past and present (albeit touched on in the Panzer General series, and now seen from the Nationalists side in Panzer Corps 2). I hope others get a chance to play through it and lend you a hand with scrubbing it for more technical issues that I am not good at.
Raf, I can not stress enough how good it feels that you, among anyone else, have had your fun with the Mod. After all the time you spent with my broken english and all the good work you put in the campaign, i find very rewarding that I have been able to give you back some of these good "vibes" in the shape of a bunch of fun hours. Yep, I'm a happy modder right now :)

I have no more time this afternoon for OoB, but rest assured i will read your notes with great care after and will answer you with more detail asap :)

EDIT: i see part of your notes are english corrections... :lol: now that noone can hear us, tell me the thruth... how sick of my english are you? ;) Gracias por todo de nuevo, tío.
rafdobrowolski

Post by rafdobrowolski »

LNDavoust wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:54 pm
EDIT: i see part of your notes are english corrections... :lol: now that noone can hear us, tell me the thruth... how sick of my english are you? ;) Gracias por todo de nuevo, tío.
De nada! Fue un placer a contribuir a este proyecto. Puro pasion por el juego! Y no te preocupes, tu ingles es casi perfecto. Unas cositas aqui y alla, pero muy pequenas y insignificantes. Escribes mejor que yo con mi "espanol roto," como decimos en ingles.
uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by uzbek2012 »

Mascarenhas
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Mascarenhas »

Which game is this?
rafdobrowolski

Post by rafdobrowolski »

Looks like a Panzer Corps mod of some sort....
Rick402
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rick402 »

LNDavoust wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:34 pm
Rick402 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:31 am so will you be able in the Future to play as the Nats? i cant stand these commies. yes its a game, but the marxists killed my family in real life!
Your preference is perfectly understandable, Rick, i'm... well, very sorry to hear that, as shallow as that can sound :/

Unfortunately i don't have personal plans to create a campaign for the Nationalists in the short-term (in the long term who knows :) ). Fortunately for you and many others (me included) there are plans by senior OoB modders here in the forums to begin the development of nationalist scenarios and probably a campaign. Also, i know some people are trying to transfer some scenarios from the recent PanzerCorps2 to OoB. If they succed, the possibility of playing the upcoming PzC2 Spanish Civil War nationalist campaign cannot be ruled out, I guess. Finally, Uzbek left us a link for a fanmade campaign for the old Panzer Corps 1, i think both sides (natio and republicans) are playable (this one https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 40#p859415 ), i have no personally played the mod, but it seems worth a try.

thank you for the reply, besides only playing as the repubs it is a Wonderful mod,hard, fun, and challenging! thank you for your hard work!
asuser

Post by asuser »

Mascarenhas wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:47 pm Which game is this?
It's a long time mod project for PanzerCorps from some members and good friends of the "Streitmacht" forum. The publishing thread you finde here:

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=86786
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

Very interesting mod, indeed. Could it e adapted to OOB?
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

If Erik adapted the classic PzC1 german campaign to OoB, I guess something similiar would be possible with this campaign. Depending on the degree of modification of the vanilla PzC, it could be take longer (maybe a mod like TSP could help "donating" some units and so). It probably will require some work, though.

These caps make me curious. I was anyway to take a look to this at some point, but maybe i will do it sooner. Anyone knows what "REP Convoy" could mean (it is one of the scenarios of the Spanish Civil War campaign, and it does not ring a bell to me :) )? Also, It seems that (again) only a nationalist campaign is available... the republican did not recieve a lot of love in the modding world of Panzer General-like games :)

EDIT: also, if i were to transfer this campaign to OoB, i will try to reach some sort of agreement with the original author before, which maybe he/she is not interested in, so... that's another factor.
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 am As a side-note, I played on the easiest setting (lieutenant) just to get through it since I was looking at translation and editing mistakes. As a consequence, I noticed that some of the primary or secondary objectives that require you to get a certain amount of hit points were not attainable since I easily steamrolled through some scenarios. I will go back and play through on a harder setting, but as a warning for those that are not full-on grognards and play on the lower settings, you may want to hold back on getting all objectives or totally destroying all enemy forces. This mod I think was designed to be played at the second or third difficult setting (captain or colonel). Needless to say, I had to use nukes to get a major victory a few times, had to use epiphany to get a couple of specialization points i missed out on, and officer on deck to get a few commanders that were tied to certain unmet objectives...
Yeah, once the first campaign is finished one of the improvements i want to take a look is the difficulties. Probably fix all the 5 original difficulty levels will be too much work, but the mod will beneficiate from a couple of additional ones, i think, beside the 3-stars (medium) difficulty, which is currently the only i used for desining the scens. Fortunately there are designing tools in OoB to adapt some of these hit point objective you mention to each difficulty (I think). Nevertheless, it will require some work, and not of the fun kind :/

But yes, I basically agree with you in this one :)
rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 am Here are my suggestions for edits, issues, and thoughts, in the same chronological order as the scenarios in the mod. Most of them are very minor and do not affect game play:

Main Screen of the mod, where you and I are mentioned... I think the heading for you should be something akin to "Design and Mistake-making," rather than "Designing and Mistaking," which doesn't sound right in English, although I know exactly what you mean. Of course, it is also sounds kind of funny and tongue-in-cheek, and it follows the format for "Proofreading and Editing" with two words both ending in "-ing." It is obviously up to you if you want to change it, as the mastermind, however.

There were a bunch of imported saved games in the saved games folder, which perhaps should be deleted.
Making jokes in a language you dont master is probably as bad as trying to invade Rusia in winter :) Said that, the idea was that make a grammar mistake ("mistaking") in the same word you are saying you made mistakes inside the game was intentional (this time) and could be fun xD As stupid as that xD If you think the joke doesn't work in english, i will change it :)
rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 am The Disembark of Mallorca Scenario -

- Change the name of the scenario (where you hover over the map of Spain prior to starting the scenario and the name of the scenario pops up) to "Mallorca Disembarkation" or "Disembarkation in Mallorca," to sound correct in English.
- If you lose Son Severa after first capturing it, the primary objective check mark does not change, and you lose the scenario - unless the point is to not lose it after taking it, which should be clear in the instructions.

Extremadura Scenario -

- The second introductory briefing box - in the second paragraph, eliminate the word "for" that is found before the phrase "the Nationalist columns."
- The fifth introductory briefing box - in the first paragraph, there is an errant apostrophe after the word "Nationalist" that needs to be eliminated.
- For the secondary objective of "Retake Caceres" - in the description of the objective box, change "shaken" to "shake."
In the "Rear-guard Repression" pop-up message during game play - change the word "had" to "has"
- If you hold/retake Talavera, you still lose scenario for some reason (could be that some events did not happen because of the low difficulty setting).
I though I had fixed the Son Severa thing, thanks.

In the Talavera case, the objective is working the way it should: you never should lose the city, so even if you retake it, you will lose. I will review the text of the objective in case further clarification is needed :)
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

Of course, any english correction you made = yes sir :)
rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 am
Palma Scenario -

- On the campaign map, the scenario is titled "Alex." I am curious if that was a historical name of the operation, and intentional, or a mistake?
- What is the point of the anarchist cargo truck? As a distraction? You don't get a reward for keeping it alive it seems. Maybe an oversight, or is it really just and extra unit?
- With the objective to blow the coastal battery. perhaps it should be clearer that you need to use the guerrilleros to blow the bridge next to the battery to disable it. I know the red arrow points there but making it more explicit this is the objective could help with confusion. Saying something like blowing the bridge that doubles as the electronics installation is what the player must do, or maybe just saying that destroying the bridge that leads to the battery will incapacitate the unit. It took me a few plays to realize that I did not have to destroy the battery with the guerrilleros, but blow the bridge with them instead to achieve the objective, after wondering why the arrow pointed there and re-reading the instructions a few times.
- After the scenario, the pins indicating that you achieved certain objectives that have repercussions in the future drop down on the map of Spain. Perhaps they should drop to the location where those objectives were met? I understand this is your full discretion, and the final decision is up to you to make. Might just be a personal preference of mine to see them drop where I met the objectives.
- The Palma scene is completely fictional (together with Cadiz, they are the only two 100% what-ifs of the campaign). Besides, at that very early point of the war, i doubt the militias had any other plan after the landings in Majorca (which were disastrous in real life) apart from just advance over Palma (or more probably, each militia had a plan of its own :/). So i'm afraid the Alex thing is another mistake... Or maybe the name of a double agent just slipped from my computer. Yeah, let's go with the double agent story :)
- Yeah, the truck is just a distraction for flavour... but maybe it's too much of a distraction? I will think about removing it, or maybe adding some text about anarchists barricading behind some trucks waiting for relief...
- That particular objective did cause problems to players before. I worked the description to clarify the objective, but it seems i didn't do a good work. I will review the whole thing.
- I'm not sure if i get you in this one. What i did with the pins in the campaign map (unless something is not working the way it should) is to use them to mark the point where the achieved objective will be useful in the future (for example, if you knock down the italian tankettes in Madrid, a pin appears around Malaga, at the south, announcing that the italians tank crews will be more green in an action in the future (like 6 scens after): it's a bit spoilerific, but i think it's the way the officials DLCs do it. Are you suggesting that instead of marking the place where the objective will benefit the pins should mark the place where the objective was achieved (in the italian tanks example, Madrid instead of Malaga)?
rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 am Bilbao Scenario -

- When fighters do damage to ground units, the counter for the secondary objective for "do x damage with fighters" does not go up. It is not clear from the instructions that you mean this to mean that it is only damage to aircraft that will count.
- One really has to pay attention which ports the ships are supposed to go to, particularly in the eastern sector. Lost multiple times since the ships would show up a few turns after the dialogue box pops up, and sometimes I took a day or two off between turns. Perhaps making it clearer when the ship actually shows up where they need to go.
- Regarding the fighters in Bilbao, this time the objective works as it should, the problem is then with the description. I will fix it.
- Regardign the ships... well yeah, my intention was to force to the player to note down manually the destionation of the ships each time he recieve a telegrams. I tried to clarify this in the description of the secondary objective ("Noting down the destination of the ships after each communications could be usefull, commander||+30 extra resource points") but most probably i didn't do a good job... Maybe i will add a Pop Up after the first ship arrive. Also, the delay between the message and the ship arriving to the area is intentional: in this way, you can direct your warships to the area the merchants are gonna appear to protect it. I will review the phrasing of the objectives and the ship pop ups to try to

rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 am
Malaga Scenario -

- Also perhaps indicate the arrival of the liaison officer in some way, like with a red arrow (if possible) - if the player does not hit the "next unit" button, they could be confused and miss the scout car with the officer inside.
- Yep, you are right, will do it.
rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 am Air Raids Scenario -
- You speak of "attainments," in both the primary and secondary objectives, but I think what you mean is "objectives." Use that word instead.

This was by far my least favorite scenario in the whole mod. It was tough to figure out for me, and a bit too much of a puzzle for a casual gamer. There is just too much going on, and it is hard to convey from the instructions what one needs to do. It was hard to plan for as well. I could see some folks liking this one, but I found it frustrating, since it was such a diversion from the other scenarios in terms of how it played. I could see this scenario needing some more refinements to make it enjoyable for me. The idea is great, but I did not like this scenario that much as it currently stands, and I ended up skipping it after a few turns. The only scenario that I did not like in the entire mod.

This is seriously a fun mod and I am looking forward to it being entirely done! I just hope i can import my core force into the new version....
- Don't you think that speaking of objectives instead of attainments could confuse the player, since the attainments in the context of this scene are no primary or a secundary objectives exactly? That is the reason i try to find an alternative word, although maybe attainment wasn't a good one. The other candidate i had was "achievement", but in my mind is too related actually to the gaming world, and that is not a relationship i want to make inside the game. The closest spanish work i can think of is "logro".

Just to clarify, the attainments are "happy findings" (other expression which i find extremely inadequate for the context of bombing things, even in a game, but i use here to try to make myself understandable) you can or can get when you correctly bomb an objective in the scenario. So let's say you bomb a munition factory: you will always drop the supply rate of that area, which you need to win the scen, but sometimes (there is a randome trigger behind this, usually you have 1/3 or 1/2 chance) you will get to an additionl "prize" (bad choice of words, again), the attainment. The rational behind this is that the precision of the bombers at that moment of the warfare "art" was very poor. Many times you could only get limited results. In the example of the munition factory, maybe you will damage auxiliary infrastructures (the access road, or a workshop nearby where the trucks are resting, or even the workers houses... :/) and cause some confusion to the area. And that's it. Even that can be valuable as a war effort, since the production in the factory will temporary drop, and the enemy will spend resources, with garrison wings or antiair guns, to protect the factory. But sometimes, by pure chance, the damages could be more serious: direct hits to the factory... or even to the munition depots, which goes boom: that's an attainment. In the context of the scenario, if you attack enough objectives, you will get enough attainments (again, by pure chance) to get the secondary objective. There is some luck involved, as with anything in the game that involves random triggers, but i found it adds replay value to the game.

Maybe you already understand this from the scen, but i just wanted to make sure you did to explain the mechanich behind the thing and why i doubt calling "objective" wasn't a good idea. "Critical hit" could also work, maybe...

Regarding the scen itself... yeah, the feedback im getting from it until now is quite polarasing: 2 of you love it, 2 of you hate it :) I have to think about it. The thing is still in beta state, so maybe i will be able to present it in a way it's more engaging and fun, even for the casual gamer. Another possibility is to create and alternative simpler bombing scene (bru had several of these, i think, i'm sure great ones) and leave the bigger one as an standalone scene... I'm pretty divided right now with the whole thing.
uzbek2012

Post by uzbek2012 »

Spain is still in the Soviet balance 1.3 sheet it will be interesting to see )
https://yadi.sk/d/9NkUgULMhtIurw

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=87738&start=20
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

uzbek2012 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:53 pm Spain is still in the Soviet balance 1.3 sheet it will be interesting to see )
https://yadi.sk/d/9NkUgULMhtIurw

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=87738&start=20
Wait, what? Terminator tranfered OoB scens to PzC1? I had no idea :shock:

Been playing some of that Spanish Campaign in PzC1. Really fun stuff, i will write something when i have finished it ^_^

I would like to thank the creator(s?) for it, but i am not sure who or how to send him/her/them my regards. Anyone here could help?
asuser

Post by asuser »

LNDavoust wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:12 am Been playing some of that Spanish Campaign in PzC1. Really fun stuff, i will write something when i have finished it ^_^

I would like to thank the creator(s?) for it, but i am not sure who or how to send him/her/them my regards. Anyone here could help?
Yes, I can …

In the end, "Soldberg" was the main person, who push that mod to the final version. On board there were also these guys:

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=86786&start=20#p753372

As you can see, I hear you and I could bring your compliments to the right place... :wink:

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”