River Effects

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

River Effects

Post by makigono1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi Folks,
I'm returning to this game after a year or so away, and am already up against my ignorance barrier, i'm afraid. Can ome kind soul please point me at the files that govern the effects of rivers? I've been going through the various txt and csv files that deal with all the chassis types, and the terrain features, but I don't see rivers. What I'm trying to work on is a means by which I can leave infantry as they are (able to cross rivers at a penalty) but prevent armor and other vehicles from doing so without a bridge. But, before I can do that, I need to see under the hood a bit and understand how the rivers work.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: River Effects

Post by Erik2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Units must be next to a river to move unto it and they can also only move 1 hex off a river.
There are disadvantages to defend on a river hex.
Enginers, paras and seabees may destroy a bridge. Eng/seabees may build one.

Basically rivers are more like streams in the game.
I think we're missing a proper deep river terrain which may only be crossed on bridges.

makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks. I mean, through experimentation, I've seen what the effects are, but what I was wondering is what files deal with those effects? I mean, I can look about in Resources and see all kinds of terrain types and their effects listed, but have not found the rivers.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 pm

The developers make only certain things available for modding in the form of CSV and TXT files. Terrain is one of them:

Image0148.jpg
Image0148.jpg (394.85 KiB) Viewed 240 times

If what you were looking for was available, it would be in here. These are all different types of terrain as well as, in a couple of instances, features that are either vestigial or appear elsewhere in the editor, such as "Cliffs" (which may be "Escarpments" in Other) and "Wall" (the one found in Decorations). Instead, "River" is apparently like "Dirt Road," "Paved Road," and "Railway" in that its characteristics are set someplace in the assets or resources files. Those files are not user-friendly, to say the least.
- Bru

makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks very much. Then I'll need to attack the problem in another way. This is very helpful.

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:18 pm

Could you use lakes and give all your infantry the"swimmer" ability that some of the assault vehicles currently have?

makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:25 am

That's a good idea. Worth trying out. Thanks.
Shards wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:18 pm
Could you use lakes and give all your infantry the"swimmer" ability that some of the assault vehicles currently have?

makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:46 pm

Of course, then the problem arises of pontoon bridges. Could the engineers build a pontoon bridge under those conditions that would allow the armor to cross? I'll have to try that out. The goal is to have a water obstacle that armor can only cross via bridges, but that infantry and engineers can cross, albeit slowly.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”