Adjacent Hex Movement

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Adjacent Hex Movement

Post by makigono1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:50 am

It seems like units are allowed to move into adjacent hexes regardless of the MP cost to them. That is, if one edited chassis.csv so that the cost of a particular terrain type was greater than that a unit had, they would still be able to enter that hex if they began their turn adjacent to it. Is there a way to compensate for this OTHER THAN making that terrain impassable to the chassis type in chassis.csv? I want units of that type to be able to enter said hex via road only, and that won't happen if I classify the terrain impassable.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Adjacent Hex Movement

Post by Erik2 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:58 am

I think the issue may be that roads does not function 100% as roads. They are dependant on the terrain being accessible to the unit.
I have asked for roads to be used as roads regardless of the terrain underneath (maybe except water) since before the game was published.
No luck yet :(

makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Indeed, I totally agree with your point. That's why I was trying to 'cheat' so to speak. It appears (and your knowledge far exceeds mine in this matter) that the roads simply act to reduce the movement points cost to a unit entering that hex by a certain percentage, a percentage that can be tinkered with based on chassis type. But it, as you point out, will not override whether or not a terrain type is listed as accessible for said chassis type. So, I thought to myself, if the road simply reduces the cost, I can make the cost of the terrain to that chassis so high that it cannot enter the hex unless there is a road there. Unfortunately, no matter how high I make the cost, a unit always seems able to move to an accessible hex provided it begins its turn adjacent to it (barring the presence of enemies, of course.) Oh well, it was worth a try, and the effort did give me added insight into how it works. Gosh, though, the game just seems to be putting up a hell of a fight against me. In the long run, it won't really negatively impact things too much. In case you were wondering, I'm doing Sedan '40.
Erik2 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:58 am
I think the issue may be that roads does not function 100% as roads. They are dependant on the terrain being accessible to the unit.
I have asked for roads to be used as roads regardless of the terrain underneath (maybe except water) since before the game was published.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Erik2 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:58 am
After what I went through in Red Star / Summa 40 (see the 'Tanks, more tanks, Tovarish!' - Red Star Review and Discuss thread), I am adding my vote for this. Units creeping along on roads, one hex at a time, through vast forests.
- Bru

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:20 pm

I've always been with Erik on this one. I mean, why shouldn't my tanks be able to cross mountains on paved roads...? :roll:

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”