Finnish hot dog.
dog.jpg
dog.jpg (26.29 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: BrucErik CSD Studio

Post by bru888 »

Erik2 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:51 am Finnish hot dog.
Thanks, I'll use it.
- Bru
Mascarenhas
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Mascarenhas »

Normandy: From Gold to Falaise:

I´ve just finished it from v.1.9, with all the problems already pointed in Falaise ( other issues are already corrected thanks to Erik´s very quick response rate,congratulations to him for that); but on my game I found a minor problem which caused me a minor victory: I destroyed every German truck on the map, but the counter did no register that, as there were some missing.Pls take a look on this if v. 2 already didn´t.

I´m going to play from Sword now.
Bobster66
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bobster66 »

I finished Normandy v1.9 again as the Canadians. It went very smoothly and there wasn't too much to report on, and all my notes for Bois du Homme and Falaise have already been mentioned in previous post.

Juno - Works very well and I even managed to capture the trucks for the first time. The only thing to report here was that the trucks made no effort to escape.

Juno D+1 - This new version seems to solve all the problems of the first one. It's still a good fight and still soaked up most of my RP's saved from Juno.

Misery - Definitely the hardest scenario now. I was facing a Major Defeat until the defending German unit inexplicably vacated the last objective on the second last turn. I was able to walk a unit right in and there was no attempt at a German counter attack. A strange turn of events since the first 11 turns of the scenario consisted of the Germans beating up on half my force while the other half were reinforcing from the beating they took in the previous turn. All remaining RP's were used up trying to keep my units alive, unsuccessfully.

Operation Goodwood. - Maybe a little too easy? No need for 28 turns here, it was over on turn 9.

All other scenarios were fun and without issue.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:55 am Here's a nod to your "Sausage War":

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (155.12 KiB) Viewed 2687 times

I will finish the scenario tomorrow.

The Sausage War on Raate Road

Well, aside from fiddling with the Soviet column again, including AI tasks and triggers, you can tell that I had a bit of fun with this one. :wink:

Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (360.37 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (352.88 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (330.14 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (287.48 KiB) Viewed 2687 times

This scenario has been uploaded to the "Back to Erik" folder.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I was wondering why the scouts were on transports to begin the scenario until I remembered that shallow water does not freeze in OOB. Then I recalled your trick of using lake water. Below is the before and after test; I proceeded to fill the Suvanto River with lake water:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (302.17 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (293.64 KiB) Viewed 2656 times

That brought up another problem; or two problems, perhaps. Since the Soviets were no longer on ships, they lacked supply. Would supply extend across a frozen lake? Fortunately, it apparently does, once hex ownership is smoothed and contiguous:

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (446.02 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (364.75 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Kelja - Blood on the Ice

This is the scenario that I chose to unlock all Finnish commanders in case the player missed any of the previous opportunities. The usual procedure: I moved around some objectives, tweaked the AI teams accordingly, included aircraft on both sides (this is a big enough battle), created another secondary objective to "Save most of our equipment" (trucks, construction groups, and fuel depots), and enhanced the fort:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (436.67 KiB) Viewed 2634 times

- Bru
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

Normandy 2.0 Caumont

New air exits are performing poor. Those around Planquery are ok, but the 3 others near Les Blanc function only as entrance, no exit function.

Tkx
Zekedia222
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Zekedia222 »

I think that fort might be difficult to take. From what I can tell, it can only be attacked by one infantry/tank unit each turn. The walls prevent movement onto it. But I know bru did a similar thing in that castle scenario, and I haven’t actually even played the scenario yet (because the Finnish campaign is still in development), so I can’t really judge it.
Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
- Charles Emerson Winchester III
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Zekedia222 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:28 pm I think that fort might be difficult to take. From what I can tell, it can only be attacked by one infantry/tank unit each turn. The walls prevent movement onto it. But I know bru did a similar thing in that castle scenario, and I haven’t actually even played the scenario yet (because the Finnish campaign is still in development), so I can’t really judge it.
As Castle Itter proved, the opening in the walls will be breached by a superior force even if it's only a one hex entrance. That's the idea for the Kelja Fort.

Heh, if you liked that fort, wait until you see the Patoniemi Fort. As a matter of fact, here is a preview:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (363.87 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

I couldn't place walls all around because I needed the Soviets to attack the bunkers. Even if a wall runs through the hex on which a bunker sits, an enemy unit will not attack because it cannot cross the wall. So I accomplished the same result by using escarpments but leaving each bunker open to attack. The enemy cannot sneak through until a bunker is destroyed.

The guys standing around to the right are the bunker crews who have just had a rude awakening and are racing to their posts. The first challenge is to man each of the bunkers before any Soviet troops get to them and damage or destroy them. As each bunker is manned (by a specific matching crew), it changes its flag to Finland and comes under the player's control. When all five bunkers are manned, more objectives are enabled as the scenario unfolds.

The finish (no pun intended) line for this campaign is in sight. I am about 80% done with this 18th scenario and there are only two more to go after that.
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

deleted
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Mascarenhas & Bobster66

Thanks for the feedback.
I've started a new Normandy list.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Patoniemi - Wake up! The Russians are here!

This is finished. It's rather ambitious in terms of programming but I tested it thoroughly, I think. Let's see. It involves:

1) Manning the neutral bunkers before they are damaged, converting them to Finnish/human control.
2) Then the primary objective becomes holding on to the fort; that is, most of it. See objective description.
3) At that time, the human player is allowed unit deployment and must rush those units to the fort's defense.
4) When the first Finnish bunker is destroyed, a secondary objective is created to repair it and any others lost.
5) When the first Soviet unit is destroyed, the Finns are overcome with bloodlust and must destroy all enemy units.

- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Hi! 8)

:arrow: According to what can be readen in this topic, this new campaign does seem awesome! :D

I've made few little researches about not-well known facts (more or less proved :roll: ) upon the Winter War. Here are few of them:

-> Some russian paratroopers involved! :D
Even if they were not very successful at all, it seems that few of them have really been involved! (More infos for example here: https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=121071 )... A test for the russian army, in prevision of future massive operations in case of brilliant success?

-> Some "small" contingents of Norweigns and Swedes are believed to have joined the Finns to fight against Russia...

-> The Soviets are supposed to have bombed Helsinki :shock: , although they've always denied it...
In principle they had orders not to attack "targets of opportunity" and abort bombing mission if primary/secondary targets weren't reached nor found... Still, with bad weather conditions & visibility as well as the fact that many russian pilots lacked training at that time...

-> It's Stalin who could have ordered the Shots of Mainila to be shot, not the Finns... :? thus the pretense that Finns attacked the Soviet Union and the "justification" of the action of the Russian Army...

Just in case it can help! :wink:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ColonelY wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 am -> Some russian paratroopers involved! :D
We have two scenarios left; I'll see if I can work in a small contingent of them in recognition of your contribution. :)
ColonelY wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 am -> Some "small" contingents of Norweigns and Swedes are believed to have joined the Finns to fight against Russia...
Swedish volunteers have made one appearance already; I'd like to use them again. Norwegian volunteers? Sorry to you (and to Erik), but I would need to see some verification of that first. I will look around a bit.
ColonelY wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 am -> The Soviets are supposed to have bombed Helsinki :shock: , although they've always denied it...
That was mentioned in the very beginning; I think there is a photo and text on the subject to start the campaign. None of these 18 scenarios so far have been anywhere near Helsinki, but if the city appears on the last two maps, the bombing will be portrayed (stretching the truth about timing a bit, perhaps).
ColonelY wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 am -> It's Stalin who could have ordered the Shots of Mainila to be shot, not the Finns... :?
I will have to research this as I am not familiar with your reference.

Thanks for your suggestions!
- Bru
Erik2

Winter War volunteers

Post by Erik2 »

Some info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_s ... Winter_War

Edit: Bruce, I've put a pdf 'Foreign_volunteers_in_Finland_during_Win' in the 'Ready for Bru' folder.
It was too big (36MB) to attach here.
I found it on https://www.academia.edu
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

bru888 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:47 pm Patoniemi - Wake up! The Russians are here!

This is finished. It's rather ambitious in terms of programming but I tested it thoroughly, I think. Let's see. It involves:

1) Manning the neutral bunkers before they are damaged, converting them to Finnish/human control.
2) Then the primary objective becomes holding on to the fort; that is, most of it. See objective description.
3) At that time, the human player is allowed unit deployment and must rush those units to the fort's defense.
4) When the first Finnish bunker is destroyed, a secondary objective is created to repair it and any others lost.
5) When the first Soviet unit is destroyed, the Finns are overcome with bloodlust and must destroy all enemy units.

Wow.....
The only missing bits I found was a number of event popups with no recipients. Assigned the Finns.
bru888

Re: Winter War volunteers

Post by bru888 »

Erik2 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 pm Some info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_s ... Winter_War

Edit: Bruce, I've put a pdf 'Foreign_volunteers_in_Finland_during_Win' in the 'Ready for Bru' folder.
It was too big (36MB) to attach here.
I found it on https://www.academia.edu
Excellent information, thanks. I will work it in to the last two scenarios if I can.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I peeked ahead at the last two scenarios in this campaign, and I was reminded that it is Winter War 1939.

So, this campaign does not end with the usual mega-battle, as the Winter War lasted until March 1940. I believe there will be a Winter War 1940 campaign (and if so, I imagine Erik will provide for importing core units) but even then, there might not be a climactic ending.

The last two scenarios in Winter War 1939 are much the same as before; more fighting in heavy forests and on frozen lakes. This doesn't mean they will not be fun to play. For example, I think the just-completed scenario, Patoniemi, is quite unique. Let me try my hand with these last two now, always constrained by credibility of course.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

A couple of times now I have made the mistake of placing air deployment hexes in dense forest.

Land deployment hexes are visible in dense forest:

Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (296.32 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

but air deployment hexes are not as brightly lit and in dense forest are practically invisible (especially in winter climate):

Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (174.87 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

So I go to test them and think that either I forgot them or did them incorrectly. The two on the bottom were moved from dense forest to lake/ice for better visibility.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”