BrucErik CSD Studio

Post by bru888 »

Normandy UK & Canada 1944 v2.6 24-7-2020

Winter War 1939 v2.2 7-1-2022
Winter War 1940 v1.4 10-11-2020
Continuation War 1941 v1.1 23-11-2023

New Britain 1943-45 v3.3 23-11-2022

Operation Olympic 1945 v1.1 22-8-2022

As to the studio name, Erik came up with "BrucErik" which I thought was rather nifty, and "CSD" stands for Campaign and Scenario Development. :wink:
- Bru
LNDavoust
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: BrucErik CSD Studio

Post by LNDavoust »

Fantastic news, guys! :D

I'm more than looking fordward to mess with any creation that came from both your twisted minds working together. Also, I'm very curious about the C in the CSD Studio... Campaign? Any leak about period or conflict? 8)

Anyway, congrats about the initiative and as always thanks a lot for your selfless work in the forum.
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by conboy »

Good luck, Comrades! Looking forward to seeing the output. This will be good!

Ah, Bru -- are you still going to be available to check other scenario offerers' work?

I think it's essential as a quality control mechanism. Plus educational for the budding scenario developers.

Also, Erik, I hope that you continue to pump out your own stuff -- I enjoy playing the pre-release stuff with you.

thanks, and success to you!

conboy
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

A bright future awaits.... 8) :D

And thanks guys for the great work you've been doing, are doing and going to do for OoB and the community!
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

Thanks, guys. Conboy, I have to finish sweeping the Germany East 1945 campaign, but that's only two more scenarios. Then I will look at your "Low Vosges to Strasbourg" scenario, per your invitation.
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I will finish (I think..) my conversions of the PzC campaigns with the Germany East 45 (currently tested by Bru) and a Germany West 45, currently under construction.

Don't worry, conboy.
Multiplayer scenarios are a favourite of mine, so there will be more at some point.
robertahyuk
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by robertahyuk »

Excellent idea! I've enjoyed playing scenarios and campaigns from both of you! Both of you should make a great team! Looking forward to whatever you put out and I'll be downloading them.
Love Arracourt and Iwo Jima and I hope your new ones will be even better!
Good luck guys and keep us posted!!! :D
conboy

Post by conboy »

Bru said:
Thanks, guys. Conboy, I have to finish sweeping the Germany East 1945 campaign, but that's only two more scenarios. Then I will look at your "Low Vosges to Strasbourg" scenario, per your invitation.
Thanks, Bru, I know you're busy. The scenario ain't goin nowhere till ye git to it -- but my question was more general. Are you going to continue to be the CSI sweeper when requested? I have a bunch more coming, and I'm sure a lot more from other folks!

Erik,
Great -- see you there!

conboy
bru888

Post by bru888 »

conboy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:01 pm Thanks, Bru, I know you're busy. The scenario ain't goin nowhere till ye git to it -- but my question was more general. Are you going to continue to be the CSI sweeper when requested? I have a bunch more coming, and I'm sure a lot more from other folks!
The easy answer is "Yes I will" but I shouldn't just let it go at that. I should also add that the quality of the work must be there for me to be interested. You qualify in that regard. Also required is the impression that the designer is carefully reviewing and weighing what I have said; not necessarily accepting it all, but at least considering it. You also qualify in that regard. The third prerequisite is time, of course, but that's for me to work out according to my schedule and competing interests.
- Bru
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

bru888 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:19 pm Erik and I have agreed to collaborate in the creation of some scenarios that he has in mind. Basically, he will provide the design and I will provide the structure. Or, to use a couple of prosaic metaphors, he will be the architect and I, the mason.

I insisted that he retain authorship and by-line. These campaigns are his inspiration; the maps are his creations; and the designation, calibration, placement, and movement of armies are his skill. My contributions will be the campaign file constructed according to outline, and in each scenario file, all of the settings and triggers needed to accomplish our goals.

We are sharing a Dropbox folder for this purpose so it is not likely that there will be any usable downloads available from this thread. Erik will control the release and updating of these campaigns in the usual manner.

Erik and I invite our fellow forum members to "look over our shoulders" and to leave comments and suggestions. Feel free to drop by our studio, any time!

Oh, and as to the name, Erik came up with "BrucErik" which I thought was rather nifty, and "CSD" stands for Campaign and Scenario Development. :wink:

I see that OoB's Modders Dream Team was created
Good luck for the future and successful collaboration, not quarrel too much :wink: :!:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

kondi754 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:55 pm I see that OoB's Modders Dream Team was created
Good luck for the future and successful collaboration, not quarrel too much :wink: :!:
Heh, thanks. No worries about quarreling; Erik is in charge! Besides, despite our both being forum moderators, we cannot even ban each other. :)
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik, I will get to the new materials soon. I wanted to work on something of my own and of course, there had to be an issue.

I was literally planting the final trees on a map when I inadvertently planted one on a wall hex. They are both decorations, as you know, and in the course of correcting the situation (I blame the wall), something got corrupted and the file is now ruined.

When I was done shrieking and cursing (not really - it's not like I felt nothing but I know how tricky these editors can be so I am used to it - but I will permit myself one of these: :x ), I resolved to replicate the map hex by hex in a new file, using printed screenshots from the bad file. That's part of the frustration; the bad map will load in the editor but the game will not start it.

Lesson learned: Two open windows: scenario folder and backup folder. After successfully running the scenario from the editor, save it and drag a copy to the backup folder EVERY TIME. My downfall was innocently . . . stupidly . . . saving the scenario with the corruption over the only version that I had. I should have known:
  • When you are having difficulty or notice an anomaly, DON'T SAVE OVER THE CURRENT FILE. Save with a different file name pending investigation.
  • ALWAYS HAVE BACKUPS DURING THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS. It can be as few as one backup file but it has to be nearly current and issue-free.
You would think I would know this but my (flimsy) excuse is, I haven't been designing anything in quite a while.

All of which is just sharing my thoughts. Back to my message: I will be working on the new campaign soon. Watch this space.
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Sorry about the corrupt scenario.
I usually save ongoing work in two different locations and load the scenario from time to time. Whenever a day’s work is finished, I save it in Dropbox.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The theme for the first project is the landings in Normandy at Gold/Juno/Sword and the following battles including the Falaise pocket.
This will be a historical ‘correct’ campaign using pre-purchased core units. The player will choose which units to be deployed when and where within the restrictions set by the designers.
We’ve settled for mainly battalion-sized units for the Allies, the Germans have some smaller units as they were divided and scattered all over Normandy.
The research is company/platoon-sized and the maps are actually meant for these smaller units. This means mostly fairly large maps with low unit-count. In addition there are some small map scenarios.
Personally I like this as it better reflects how units were deployed and it gives a lot of room to maneuver.
The invasion beaches were crammed with naval/land mines and obstacles as well as a large number of bunkers, pill-boxes and MG nests. At this point ‘all’ these structures are in place. This means the Allies will have a difficult time getting off the beach. Play-testing will show if we need to prune the defenses a bit.
Currently there are more than 30 possible scenarios. There will be a number of branches as players may select between various threads. The main thread will be deciding to take the British at Gold/Sword beaches or the Canadians at Juno. The Canadian branch will almost be a mini-campaign inside the bigger one. This because it is difficult to move between the British/Canadian threads and get the core units correct.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

All screenshots use #orbitalcommand to show both side's units.

Part of Gold Beach
Gold.jpg
Gold.jpg (904.16 KiB) Viewed 19640 times
Part of Juno Beach
Juno.jpg
Juno.jpg (848.74 KiB) Viewed 19640 times
Part of Sword Beach
Sword.jpg
Sword.jpg (842.24 KiB) Viewed 19640 times
Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Navman2854 »

I think you two make a formidable design team :!: One question, will you be historically naming units if possible or just staying with the generic naming? I know it's more work so I wouldn't really be disappointed if you decide not to :(
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I'm putting in all historical unit names, both for the player's core units and the Germans.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Erik2 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:23 am Part of Sword Beach
The other two beaches look just fine, but you do plan for some more openings in the minefields of "Sword", yes?
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

GabeKnight wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:04 pm
Erik2 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:23 am Part of Sword Beach
The other two beaches look just fine, but you do plan for some more openings in the minefields of "Sword", yes?
Sword is a prime candidate for some mine-pruning. After playtests have deemed it neccessary of course.
Another way to deal with this is reducing the mine-strength to maybe 5. That way to units may charge through the mines.
Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 »

Erik2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm I'm putting in all historical unit names, both for the player's core units and the Germans.

EXCELLENT!! :D

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”