Free France Campaign

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Free France Campaign

Post by ColonelY »

It would perhaps be easier to talk about the First Army rather than the IIe Corps, or to say that most of the units involved within this area were from this IIe Corps if you wish (most but not only :wink: for example, I don't really think we can precise with which corps were the commandos... but they were there anyway!)

For an help on the OoB of these divisions, you can see the very first post that I've written at the n° 7 of the sets of posts of this topic.

With this DB, we'll find again troops from the Foreign Legion and, together with many Sherman tanks, still a few Somua and/or Hotchkiss tanks... :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

So, it should have been the 1re French DB than has helped the experienced to veteran US infantry units to land, shouldn't it? :wink: Probably worth being mentionned somewhere...
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

:arrow: To quickly be convinced about the serious implication of this 9e DIC, you can already see that here as well Toulon is mentionned: https://second.wiki/wiki/9e_division_de ... _coloniale

But it shall become obvious with this (French) link and checking how many times "Toulon" is written in the section "Historique des garnisons, campagnes et batailles" or something (Ctrl + F): https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/9e_divi ... _coloniale

So, without going into too much details here and now, well, this 9e DIC was there as well! :D
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

bru888 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:23 pm [...] The reason is, I went with this OOB of the First Army: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Army_(France)

And I subtracted out what the I Corps article said: "For the remainder of the war in Europe, many French divisions would be subordinated to 1st Army Corps, but the divisions that spent the most time with the corps were the 2nd Moroccan Infantry Division (2e DIM), the 9th Colonial Infantry Division (9e DIC), the 4th Moroccan Mountain Division (4e DMM), and the 1st Armoured Division (1re DB)." [...]
The most time, indeed... :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

:idea: By the way, now we could as well add some named concrete bunkers inside Toulon as well... we've several candidates for this given by this French link. :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Well, it may have been too that it was only units from the French II corps at that time, but then there has been some internal reorganization... :? anyway, no need to go too much into "details" about this particular point, I would say... :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

ColonelY wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 am So, it should have been the 1re French DB than has helped the experienced to veteran US infantry units to land, shouldn't it? :wink: Probably worth being mentionned somewhere...
We have for example the map shown here, http://chez.jeannette.fleurs.over-blog. ... vence.html , that highlight somehow this point with the 1re DB in the NE of the map... :wink: And there are 4 cool pictures within this link as well! :D
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

:!: There is a point that surprises me with the commandos that are visible on the map (screenshot): why the British and not the Americans? :?

Apparently, the British were only there in their planes and on their ships... :wink:

The last link found shows a map as well without an English flag down there but an US one... 8) and we've tracks of the implication of the "First Special Service Force" (under "Preliminary operations​" here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon for example)... and these guys, by the way, were Americans AND Canadians, so one could :idea: even represent 2 units under the US flag and 1 unit under the Canadian flag (instead of these 3 British flags, that is).
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

Regarding French forces:

1) Thanks for making me take another look, for I believe you are correct on a couple of points.

2) Several sources confirm that it was only the II Corps in the area of Toulon and Marseille; I Corps apparently went north with Truscott's forces:

Image0440.jpg
Image0440.jpg (336.19 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
Image0441.jpg
Image0441.jpg (359.45 KiB) Viewed 1016 times

3) But as to the composition of II Corps, that's where I was stumped. A corps can be reorganized repeatedly, with divisions swapped in and out. However, I took a closer look at this map and I believe I found my answer:

Image0443.jpg
Image0443.jpg (319.75 KiB) Viewed 1016 times

4) This map clearly shows the divisions involved:
1st Free French Division (1er DFL)
3rd Algerian Infantry Division (3e DIA)
1st Armoured Division (1er DB)
9th Colonial Division (9e DIC)

I am comfortable with this lineup; four divisions, approximately 60-70 land units. The 1er DFL includes some old friends:

1ST FREE FRENCH DIVISION (1er DFL):
1st Battalion of the 13th Demi-Brigade of Foreign Legion, 13e DBLE
2nd Battalion of the 13th Demi-Brigade of Foreign Legion, 13e DBLE
22nd North-African Marching Battalion (French: 22e Bataillon Nord-Africain, 22e BMNA)
Marching Battalion nº 4, BM 4
Marching Battalion nº 5, BM 5
Marching Battalion nº 11, BM 11
Marching Battalion nº 21, BM 21
Marching Battalion nº 24, BM 24
Marine Infantry and Pacific Battalion
1er Régiment de Fusiliers Marins, 1er RFM (tank)
1er Régiment de Marche de Spahis Marocains (tank)
1st Artillery Regiment of Free French Forces, RAFFL. (two guns)
21st anti-aircraft group of the Antilles, part of the Antillean Marching Battalion no 1.
1st Engineering Battalion
4th Anti-Tank company
11e Régiment de cuirassiers (recon)

And I am rid of those blasted Moroccan Goums! :)
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ColonelY wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:14 am :idea: By the way, now we could as well add some named concrete bunkers inside Toulon as well... we've several candidates for this given by this French link. :wink:
I have been wondering about Toulon forts. What link?
ColonelY wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:15 am :!: There is a point that surprises me with the commandos that are visible on the map (screenshot): why the British and not the Americans? :?

Apparently, the British were only there in their planes and on their ships... :wink:

The last link found shows a map as well without an English flag down there but an US one... 8) and we've tracks of the implication of the "First Special Service Force" (under "Preliminary operations​" here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon for example)... and these guys, by the way, were Americans AND Canadians, so one could :idea: even represent 2 units under the US flag and 1 unit under the Canadian flag (instead of these 3 British flags, that is).
Good point; I made the changes to the SSF units accordingly.

Screenshot 13.jpg
Screenshot 13.jpg (382.06 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

By the way, I was thinking of making these commandos go away after their mission in the the Îles d'Hyères but, since there are many bunkers and guns in the Mediterranean Wall, they could paddle over to the mainland and help with that objective (as long as they stay out of the way of any regular German troops, that is; they are somewhat challenged by the Bautruppen that they face on the islands!). Agree?
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:20 pm I have been wondering about Toulon forts. What link?
As Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh"! It really is becoming all a blur ... There were those forts near the mouth of the harbour of Toulon, which were included in Operation Lila Denied.

Well, to include those would mean crowding (and duplicating?) what is there already as part of the Mediterranean Wall:

Screenshot 15.jpg
Screenshot 15.jpg (757.93 KiB) Viewed 1006 times

The forts in Marseille, being all the way on the other side of the map from where the French start, are like end game "bosses" and don't interfere with the Mediterranean Wall (the basilica Notre-Dame de la Garde, by the way, is just below them):

Screenshot 16.jpg
Screenshot 16.jpg (618.33 KiB) Viewed 1006 times

So I will forgo any forts in Toulon.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Although, I could put two fortresses in Toulon here and here (which approximate their positions in Operation Lila Denied):

Screenshot 17a.jpg
Screenshot 17a.jpg (421.34 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

They would not be part of the Mediterranean Wall (which is bunkers and coastal guns). What do you think? Too much or just right?

That's two questions pending for you, sir.
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

bru888 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:09 pm [...]

3) But as to the composition of II Corps, that's where I was stumped. A corps can be reorganized repeatedly, with divisions swapped in and out. Yes, indeed. [...]

4) This map clearly shows the divisions involved:
1st Free French Division (1er DFL)
3rd Algerian Infantry Division (3e DIA)
1st Armoured Division (1er DB) => The 1st instead of the 5th? Okay for me.
9th Colonial Division (9e DIC) => Yes, this one was definitely involved!
:!: As one says "une division" (a feminine word), one has to write 1re DFL and 1re DB (but the 3e DIA and 9e DIC are perfect like this). :wink:

I am comfortable with this lineup; four divisions, approximately 60-70 land units. Yes, let's go like this! The 1er DFL includes some old friends: Indeed! :D

1ST FREE FRENCH DIVISION (1er DFL): => :!: Watch out: 1re DFL (it's "une" Division, a feminine word)
1st Battalion of the 13th Demi-Brigade of Foreign Legion, 13e DBLE
2nd Battalion of the 13th Demi-Brigade of Foreign Legion, 13e DBLE
22nd North-African Marching Battalion (French: 22e Bataillon Nord-Africain, 22e BMNA)
Marching Battalion nº 4, BM 4
Marching Battalion nº 5, BM 5
Marching Battalion nº 11, BM 11
Marching Battalion nº 21, BM 21
Marching Battalion nº 24, BM 24
Marine Infantry and Pacific Battalion
1er Régiment de Fusiliers Marins, 1er RFM (tank)
1er Régiment de Marche de Spahis Marocains (tank)
1st Artillery Regiment of Free French Forces, RAFFL. (two guns)
21st anti-aircraft group of the Antilles, part of the Antillean Marching Battalion no 1.
1st Engineering Battalion
4th Anti-Tank company
11e Régiment de cuirassiers (recon)

And I am rid of those blasted Moroccan Goums! :)

No more Goums then!
:lol: :wink:

Your OoB for this division matches the info I've found for these divisions:
ColonelY wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:01 pm OPERATION DRAGOON: 8) (Again!)

A more detailed look at the actual composition of these French divisions:
“1re division de Français libres” (general Brosset):
• “13e Demi-brigade de Légion étrangère” (DBLE, which icludes here its two first battalions!)
• “22e Bataillon de marche nord-africain” (22e BMNA)
• As “Bataillon de marche” (BM), the followings: 4e (BM), 5e, 11e, 21e and 24e
• And the “Bataillon d’infanterie de marine et du Pacifique” (BIMP; composed by the merger of two battalions that distinguished themselves at Bir Hakeim!)
• “1er Régiment de Fusiliers marins” (another famous one, as well as the 13e DBLE!)
• “1re Compagnie de chars de combat” (with medium tanks Renault R35) :P
• “11e Régiment de cuirassiers” (with medium tanks Sherman M4A1 and some light tanks Chaffee) => so not that much "recon"... :wink:
• “1er Régiment d’artillerie des Forces Françaises Libres” (RAFFL)
• “21e Groupe antillais de DCA” (with some AA-gun)
• “1er Bataillon du Génie” (an unit of engineers)
• “4e Compagnie anti-chars” (with some AT-gun)

“9e division d’infanterie coloniale” (gen. Magnan):
• As “Régiment de Tirailleurs sénégalais” the followings: 4e, 6e and 13e
• “Régiment d’infanterie coloniale du Maroc” (RICM; a recon unit on armored cars!)
• “Régiment d’artillerie coloniale du Maroc”
• “Régiment colonial de chasseurs de chars” (tank-destroyers M10)
• “71e Bataillon du Génie” (as engineers)
• “2e RAC-AOF” + “3e RAC-AOF” (i.e. groupe du Régiment d’Artillerie Coloniale d’Afrique occidentale)
• “25e Bataillon médical” (-> with a medical jeep) => Nah, let's forget about this... :roll: ( :wink: )
• A group with AA-guns

“2e division d’infanterie marocaine” (gen. Dody):
• As “Régiment de Tirailleurs marocains”, the followings: 4e, 5e and 8e
• “3e Régiment de Spahis marocains” (with one squadron on M5 light tanks and three squadrons as recon on “Scoot Car”)
• “63e Régiment d’artillerie d’Afrique”
• “DARR” (i.e. Détachement d'Appui du Régiment de Reconnaissance -> so probably another armored recon unit)
• “41e Groupe de DCA”
• “87e Bataillon du Génie”
• “9e Bataillon médical” (-> with a medical jeep)

“3e division d’infanterie algérienne” (gen. de Monsabert):
• As “Régiment de Tirailleurs algériens”, the followings: 3e, 7e (RTA)
• “4e Régiment de Tirailleurs tunisiens” (4e RTT)
• “3e Régiment de Spahis algériens de reconnaissance” (3e RSAR; some recon unit on armored car)
• “7e Régiment de chasseurs d’Afrique” (7e RCA; used some American tanks, probably some Sherman too… this regiment was first used as a reserve unit before being adapted to this infantry division…)
• “67e Régiment d’artillerie d’Afrique”
• “37e Groupe de DCA”
• “83e Bataillon du Génie”
• “3e Bataillon médical” (-> with a medical jeep)

“4e division marocaine de montagne” (gen. Sevez)
• As “Régiment de Tirailleurs marocains”, the followings: 1er and 6e
• “1er Régiment de Tirailleurs algériens”
• “4e Régiment de Spahis marocains” (with one squadron on M5 light tanks and three squadrons as recon on “Scoot Car”)
• “64e Régiment d’artillerie d’Afrique”
• “69e Régiment d’artillerie de montagne”
• “33e Groupe de DCA”
• “82e Bataillon du Génie”
• “8e Bataillon médical” (-> with a medical jeep)

“1re division blindée” (gen. Touzet du Vigier)
• As “Régiment de Chasseurs d’Afrique”, the followings: 2e (RCA) and 5e (both with tanks Sherman), as well as the 3e (recon!) and the 9e (tank-destroyers M10)
• “2e Régiment de Cuirassiers” (with again some tanks Sherman)
• Three independent and motorized infantry units, as “Bataillon de Zouaves” the followings: 1er, 2e and 3e
• “68e Régiment d’artillerie d’Afrique”
• “38e Groupe de DCA”
• “88e Bataillon du Génie”
• “15e Bataillon médical” (-> with a medical jeep)

“5e division blindée” (gen. de Vernejoul)
• “Régiment de marche de la Légion étrangère” (RMLE ; motorized infantry – 3 battalions!)
• “1er Régiment de Chasseurs d’Afrique” (1e RCA ; tanks Sherman)
• “6e Régiment de Chasseurs d’Afrique” (6e RCA ; tanks Sherman)
• “11e Régiment de Chasseurs d’Afrique” (11e RCA ; tank-destroyers M10)
• “1er Régiment de Cuirassiers” (1e CUIR ; tanks Somua and Hotchkiss, almost 50%/50% - if a single unit in the campaign must represent this regiment, then take the best tank available between the Somua and the Hotchkiss, of course!)
• “1er Régiment étranger de Cavalerie” (1e REC ; part of the “Légion étrangère” ; actually used as an armored recon unit, with some armored cars or something)
• “62e Régiment d’artillerie d’Afrique”
• “31e Groupe de DCA”
• “96e Bataillon du Génie”
• “14e Bataillon médical” (-> with a medical jeep)
The Americans had the 6th Corps (General Truscott) with 3 infantry divisions (the 3rd, the 45th and the 36th) and 1 airborne division, all of which belonged to General Patch's 7th Army. (We’ll come back to this later…)

Naval force: an armada of many allied warships, including 34 French ships (the battleship Lorraine, 3 cruisers, about twenty destroyers – at least “contre-torpilleurs” and “avisos”, etc.).

So, a more detailed look at these Free French naval forces: => There to make choices (of course we expect British ships as well and perhaps, for the flavor, one from New Zealand as well... :wink:
• 1 battleship: Lorraine
• 3 cruisers: Émile Bertin, Jeanne d’Arc, Dubuay-Trouin
• 3 light cruiser: Le Terrible, Le Fantasque, Le Malin
• Many destroyers (of all kinds): Le Fortuné, Le Forbin, Le Tempête, Le Simoun, L'Alcyon, Le Marocain, Le Tunisien, Le Hova, L'Algérien, Le Somali, La Gracieuse, La Boudeuse, Le Commandant Delage, Le Commandant Bory, Le Commandant Dominé, La Moqueuse

For naval support only, there was even Greece and New Zealand!
Air force: 5,000 aircraft (fighters, bombers, reconnaissance or transport).
For air support only, there was even Australia and South Africa!
[...]
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

bru888 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:20 pm
ColonelY wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:14 am :idea: By the way, now we could as well add some named concrete bunkers inside Toulon as well... we've several candidates for this given by this French link. :wink:
I have been wondering about Toulon forts. What link? [...]
This one: https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/9e_divi ... _coloniale :wink:

:arrow: This is the (translated) part of interest for us in terms of forts:

-August 20, 1944 : the first elements disembarked, those of the 6th RTS and the RICM reinforced by a group of commandos and a group of tanks (RCCC), and set off towards Toulon.
-August 21, 1944 : Solliès-Ville, le Coudon and la Farlède were occupied.
-August 22-23: the battle continued violently for the possession of La Valette where the enemy, solidly entrenched, put up a stubborn resistance. However, Valletta was taken the next day and elements of the RICM pushed on Toulon.
-August 24-27, 1944 : the city of Toulon was attacked from the east by the 6th RTS group and tanks. The fort of Artigues was the object of a bitter fight. The artillery approached within a few hundred meters of the fort and opened breaches so important that they precipitated the surrender. To the north and west, the 4th RTS, after having relieved the units of the 3rd DIA, attacked in turn through the Valbourdain district and the Arènes. It was in the forts that the defense took hold. Those of Sainte-Catherine and Lamague were the first to fall on 25 August. In the latter fort, after severe shelling by the divisional artillery, the 3rd Battalion of the 4th RTS was able to take several hundred prisoners without suffering any losses. The Malbousquet fort gave way on the 26th, after a fierce defense. Street fighting gradually took over the Arsenal and the city center. Resistance had to be reduced one by one at La Mitre in the Mourillon district, and at Saint-Mandrier. On August 26, the support points at La Mitre, the Six Fours fort and the works on the Sicie peninsula surrendered successively. The next day, it was the turn of the Saint-Mandrier peninsula, which was crushed by the powerful fire of the divisional artillery, reinforced by an American heavy grouping, and by the bombing and firing of warships. Its fall completed the conquest of Toulon. The day before, the division marched in the middle of the city, in the presence of the Ministers of War and Navy and General de Lattre de Tassigny.
During these first operations on French soil, ten thousand prisoners and a large amount of equipment were captured by the division. The number of enemy casualties exceeded one thousand.

I may have forgotten to highlight a few of these forts, but now you have the different names... :wink:

ColonelY wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:25 pm 8) Dragoon - some complements to what I've already written:

So, on overall:
[...
]
Germans: 7 infantry divisions (including the 148th, 242nd, 244th) + 1 armored division + several battalions of the Ost Legion + the Mediterranean Wall (of course less solid than the Atlantic Wall, but still for a total of 600 concrete works)... + Toulon and Marseille which form 2 formidable strongholds regrouping a total of 400 artillery pieces of all calibers (105mm, 150mm, 155mm, etc., + ATs of 25 and 37mm), including 340mm naval guns...

German garrison of Toulon: 30 forts, abundant artillery and innumerable casemates, 18'000 men (some from the 242nd ID, others from the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe) commanded by the admiral Ruhfus... (The French had only 16'000 men to lead the assault, but it was a brilliant victory).
Toulon: harbor, arsenal, Thouar massif, Fontpré castle, Coudon and La Pourdière forts...

[...] Marseille: General Schaeffer, commander of the 244th ID, has 13'000 men and 150 to 200 guns ranging from 75 to 220 mm. The defensive system was less dense than in Toulon! (The French attacked with a maximum of 10'000 men!) There are resistance fighters in the city or around (the population revolted!)... It seems that the Germans could have been at a maximum of 20'000 men there...

On August 19, 1944, the Germans received orders from their superiors to withdraw, except for the garrisons of Toulon and Marseille who were ordered to resist at all costs.

[...]

Info: the battery of the Titan (one of the objectives of the commandos) was in fact only a perfectly camouflaged decoy. :wink:
:arrow: In short, Toulon was better defended than Marseille! :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

bru888 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:20 pm [...] By the way, I was thinking of making these commandos go away after their mission in the the Îles d'Hyères but, since there are many bunkers and guns in the Mediterranean Wall, they could paddle over to the mainland and help with that objective (as long as they stay out of the way of any regular German troops, that is; they are somewhat challenged by the Bautruppen that they face on the islands!). Agree?
Oh yes, I do. Let's keep them! :D

These commandos have been used not only on these islands... So, to stick closer to History, we have to keep them. Now, if some player don't want to bother with them later, well, he can just put them to sleep (on the conquered islands or something) and then all's said - it would be his choice, after all!
:wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

bru888 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:48 pm [...] So I will forgo any forts in Toulon.
Well, it may depend a little bit... one could still use non-concrete bunkers to depict some of them, like places fortified in a hurry or something. (Thus that would not impact the counter related to the Mediterranean Wall either.) :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

bru888 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 pm Although, I could put two fortresses in Toulon here and here (which approximate their positions in Operation Lila Denied):

[...]

They would not be part of the Mediterranean Wall (which is bunkers and coastal guns). What do you think? Too much or just right? [...]
Two fortresses there as well?

Well, they were there previously (and could have been repaired since November 42 :wink: ). And we know that Toulon was actually even more defended than Marseille... :arrow: So, I would say, "Yes, please, add these two fortresses there!" :twisted: :wink:

Now, would it be "too much"? I think no one can now answer this question... it will strongly depend on all the other defenses (art, inf, AAs, etc.) that will be put in and around Toulon, without forgetting either that it we'll have some good naval and air support available, and quite some good land forces at disposal too. Too many parameters to be able to speak really about balance right now, I think.

=> So, here is my suggestion: :idea: add these two units. Then add all the rest. And, once testing it, then we'll see whether we need to adapt something or not... for it may of course be too challenging, but it could as well be the opposite on overall... we'll see! :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

bru888 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 pm [...] That's two questions pending for you, sir.
:D And that's basically two "yes" from me: let's add these two fortresses near Toulon and let's keep these commandos... or, well, :idea: perhaps only the Free French commandos!

The American and Canadian commandos start more to the East, therefore would take more time to join the fights on the side of Toulon... and if I have traces of the actions of the commandos towards Toulon, for example, it is not question there (to my knowledge) of troops other than French, sooo...
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ColonelY wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:24 pm
bru888 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:20 pm [...] By the way, I was thinking of making these commandos go away after their mission in the the Îles d'Hyères but, since there are many bunkers and guns in the Mediterranean Wall, they could paddle over to the mainland and help with that objective (as long as they stay out of the way of any regular German troops, that is; they are somewhat challenged by the Bautruppen that they face on the islands!). Agree?
Oh yes, I do. Let's keep them! :D

These commandos have been used not only on these islands... So, to stick closer to History, we have to keep them. Now, if some player don't want to bother with them later, well, he can just put them to sleep (on the conquered islands or something) and then all's said - it would be his choice, after all!
:wink:
The commandos shall be free to roam the map after their initial mission is completed. (The French commandos did land on the mainland in real life, at Cap Bénat and Cap Nègre, I believe.) Free to destroy and be destroyed! :evil:
ColonelY wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:35 pm
bru888 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 pm Although, I could put two fortresses in Toulon here and here (which approximate their positions in Operation Lila Denied):

[...]

They would not be part of the Mediterranean Wall (which is bunkers and coastal guns). What do you think? Too much or just right? [...]
Two fortresses there as well?

Well, they were there previously (and could have been repaired since November 42 :wink: ). And we know that Toulon was actually even more defended than Marseille... :arrow: So, I would say, "Yes, please, add these two fortresses there!" :twisted: :wink:
Very good. Done, and the objective has been altered accordingly. For the sake of continuity, and because here they match these positions outside of Toulon in which they appeared in Operation Lila Denied, I have used two of the fortress names from that scenario:

Screenshot 20.jpg
Screenshot 20.jpg (256.22 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Screenshot 18.jpg
Screenshot 18.jpg (679.55 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Screenshot 19.jpg
Screenshot 19.jpg (643.59 KiB) Viewed 978 times

"Reduce them to rubble" is in contrast to the kid glove treatment for "Capture Notre-Dame de la Garde." Description: "There is no wish to repeat the mistake of the destroyed Monte Cassino Abbey. The political repercussions of that debacle continue to this day. Therefore, the Germans must be cleared from this basilica without using aerial, sea, or land bombardment. Use only infantry and tanks to assault this powerful hilltop position." Similar treatment to Krak des Chevaliers in Operation Exporter.
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

ColonelY wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 am
ColonelY wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 am So, it should have been the 1re French DB than has helped the experienced to veteran US infantry units to land, shouldn't it? :wink: Probably worth being mentionned somewhere...
We have for example the map shown here, http://chez.jeannette.fleurs.over-blog. ... vence.html , that highlight somehow this point with the 1re DB in the NE of the map... :wink: And there are 4 cool pictures within this link as well! :D
And this map, here down this link, is interesting...

1. It shows that Free French paratroopers that should have taken part to the action in the NE together with American and Canadians paratroopers! But they didn't! Disagreements between senior Allied officers meant that the French did not participate in the end (even though it was originally planned)... on the other hand, the American and Canadian paratroopers were joined by groups of resistance fighters who also served as local guides... (I've already written about this somewhere, if I'm not mistaken... anyway, doesn't matter!)

:arrow: So, for our scenario, well... let's simply forget about this part of French paratroopers that could have been involved there as well! :wink:

2. It shows that the Free French "1re DB" (or perhaps rather only armored elements of this divisions - the flag looks rather tiny despite the strenght of this division, if considered as a whole) landed together with the US divisions (in the NE as well)... and the "5e DB" more towards Toulon from start... but, of course, these units are highly mobile (once they've cleared their path!)...

:arrow: So, for our scenario, the "1re DB" or the "5e DB"? :? Oh, well, let's go with the "1re DB", as you said, and that's it!
It may be easier to figure out for the player: "okay, so the 2e DB with Leclerc entering France through Normandy and the 1re DB with Tassigny entering through Provence" (So, really, not need to emphasize too much about the 5e... then, what about the 3e and the 4e?, etc. Many questions could be raised easily...)

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”